Amusing Translation Errors

darksidedog

So, with my son away for a month, I have had to deal with all of the translation on my own, that is so much a part of the joys of living here. I seem to have come out OK, though a couple of attempts at explaining something complicated, may have not been fully understood. Blank looks and a nodding head from my experience, do not auger well for the finished object to even vaguely resemble the plans.

It made me think of some of the funny translation mistakes I have come across along the way, especially in business. Classic cock ups like General Motors trying to sell the “Nova” in South America, where the words “No Va” means “it doesn’t work”, or worse the Ford Pinto, with “Pinto” being a slang word for a very small male “undercarriage.” Both were duly renamed.

My favourite though was the chicken company with the slogan, “It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.” Sadly, when entering Spanish speaking markets, the not particularly accurate translation came out as, “It takes a sexually aroused man to make a chicken affectionate.” No comments I could find online about how that might add or detract from the flavour, or desirability of the end product.

On a local level, I have had many moments where the translation was humourous and/or annoying. One of my favourites came when someone enthusiastically attending Thai lessons here and fresh from a lesson about the difference between small and little, noi and lek, wanted a bit of ham as an extra topping on his pizza and asked if he could have “ham noi”. For those who are not conversant with Thai, this is the same as the Brazilian slang for the Ford Pinto mentioned above. Thankfully it was met with small giggles and concerned looks from the staff, but they didn’t call the cops, while generating hysterics from those who heard it and understood.

So, living in Thailand, we see funny translations around us everywhere, every day. So, bring out and share the best you have experienced and see who gets the most laughs.

Archived