Finland's GPS was disrupted during NATO war games and Russia could be responsible - PM

webfact

Finland's GPS was disrupted during NATO war games and Russia could be responsible - PM

2018-11-11T205807Z_1_LYNXNPEEAA0WP_RTROPTP_4_NORWAY-NATO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A V-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft makes a pass during NATO's Exercise Trident Juncture, seen from Trondheim, Norway October 30, 2018. NTB Scanpix/Gorm Kallestad via REUTERS

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Finland's GPS signal was intentionally disrupted during NATO war games in the Nordic countries over the past few weeks and the culprit could be Russia, Prime Minster Juha Sipila said on Sunday.

Finland's air navigation services on Tuesday issued a warning for air traffic due to a large-scale GPS interruption in the north of the country. Norway posted a similar warning about loss of GPS signals for pilots in its own airspace at the end of the October when the NATO exercise began.

"It is possible that Russia has been the disrupting party in this. Russia is known to possess such capabilities," Sipila told public broadcaster Yle.

Finland is not a NATO member but it took part as an ally in 'Trident Juncture', NATO's largest exercise in decades which ended on Wednesday. Forces from 31 countries participated in the games close to Russia, in an area stretching from the Baltic Sea to Iceland.

Finland shares a 833-mile (1,340 km) border and a difficult history with Russia. It has lately developed closer ties with NATO but stopped short of full membership in line with a tradition of avoiding confrontation with its eastern neighbour.

(Reporting by Anne Kauranen; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-12
  • Like 1

fairly strange expression Finland's GPS, what on earth is that?

if it is the signals as such from a GPS bird  that is disturbed or distorted

that represents a very clear breach of international treaties

if it is the space segment itself that is screwed, it just might look a tad different

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

And that makes endangering air traffic OK? 

You want to argue the definition of 'OK' ?  I am willing to accept Putin's definition in this case. I highly suspect that Russia's idea of 'OK' is vastly different from mine or yours. I was trying to say that the Russian's (Putin) are not afraid of you or your home land. Go get em if you want or can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, car720 said:

you can bet it is not only the Ruskis who have this.

It's a built in feature.  During Desert Storm the US military reduced the accuracy of the GPS system for civilian users in the Middle East.  Confused the hell out of our navigators! They can turn it off if they so wish.  It is their system after all. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dellboy218 said:

It's a built in feature.  During Desert Storm the US military reduced the accuracy of the GPS system for civilian users in the Middle East.  Confused the hell out of our navigators! They can turn it off if they so wish.  It is their system after all. 

Desert Storm, the first Gulf war?

my memory is the opposite of what you say,

maximum accuracy for civilian users during Desert Storm

why?

us military spec. receivers not yet widely available

the us military combed coastal areas and bought all the civilian receivers they could for use in the Storm

I think maybe you refer to the 2nd Gulf war

25 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

Desert Storm, the first Gulf war?

my memory is the opposite of what you say,

maximum accuracy for civilian users during Desert Storm

why?

us military spec. receivers not yet widely available

the us military combed coastal areas and bought all the civilian receivers they could for use in the Storm

I think maybe you refer to the 2nd Gulf war

What you fail to understand is the US military has the ability to shift signals/times to make civilian GPS units and those of its enemies inaccurate. However, they (US Military) know what those shifts are and the shift correction is programmed into their units so they maintain GPS accuracy/integrity.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Russians playing smartarse & trying out their capability. Gives NATO the opportunity to work on countering such a capability.

Yanks and their NATO puppet states playing "smartarse", trying to intimidate Russia with its bullying tactics. NATO haven't got a bloody clue!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Ulic said:

What you fail to understand is the US military has the ability to shift signals/times to make civilian GPS units and those of its enemies inaccurate. However, they (US Military) know what those shifts are and the shift correction is programmed into their units so they maintain GPS accuracy/integrity.

what a totally weird post

I think you would benefit from reading what comment on again, what you say above is not even relevant to my post

no, I do not fail to understand that, I am very familiar with both GPS service and the space segments

7 hours ago, bristolboy said:

And that makes endangering air traffic OK? 

I agree.

If anyone was responsible during the NATO war games for disrupting air space, they were playing games with air passengers lives, and should be held accountable.

I haven't read the entire thread yet - is it only Finland that is saying this to be the case?

Edited by dick dasterdly

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

fairly strange expression Finland's GPS, what on earth is that?

if it is the signals as such from a GPS bird  that is disturbed or distorted

that represents a very clear breach of international treaties

if it is the space segment itself that is screwed, it just might look a tad different

Melvin you seem to have a very strong regard for international treaties given the number of postings mentioning it. How do you regard Trump reneging on JCPOA? Or Trump reneging on the Paris Climate Change Accord? Or Trump reneging on NAFTA? Or Bush reneging on the Geneva Convention with regard to torture? etc etc

37 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Melvin you seem to have a very strong regard for international treaties given the number of postings mentioning it. How do you regard Trump reneging on JCPOA? Or Trump reneging on the Paris Climate Change Accord? Or Trump reneging on NAFTA? Or Bush reneging on the Geneva Convention with regard to torture? etc etc

no particular strong regard,

but emitted signals are protected by treaty - fact

however, if countries chose to break treaty- up to them

but will have consequences if caught red handed

and yes,

jcpoa - nafta - paris - torture ----not my field of expertice

but fooooking up the ITU radio regulations will lead to consequences

Edited by melvinmelvin

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Entirely off topic - but I'm a bit suprised that oilinki's not here condemning everyone with any doubts/different opinion to be a russian troll! ????

his gps is foooooked up by the russians

he cannot find this thread

or maybe he is busy with his iso olut

Edited by melvinmelvin

7 minutes ago, Fortean1 said:

fairly light hearted comparison, but OK

re age and acceptance

gps is star wars crap from the late 80s, refurbished several times though

glonas is old secret crap from about the same time

the new glonas is relatively new

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

I feel that if it was DEFINITELY Russia, then they would have said so. Political "coulds" are found everywhere it seems. It "could" also have been an array of other factors, but things like "GPS equipment fault" don't make headlines. ????

Sure, they would have confessed to violating in international treaty and endangering civilian aircraft. How did you come up with this one?

Tuesday this week The Norwegian Ministry of Defence said to msm that up north in Norway

and also off her coast the GPS reception had been disturbed,

aircraft among others had observed this

The information was not conditioned by could or possibly,

it was simply stated that this was caused by Russia.

The largest ever NATO exercise (sea - air - land) took place in that area at the time of disturbance.