Embassy Residence Confirmation For Opening Bank Account

kratindaeng

Greetings to the Forum!

I would like to open a savings bank account here in Thailand, I have previously been asked for work permit to open an account yet I do not work in Thailand so I do not need or have that. I am from the UK, Non B visa and wondered if any one has experience on getting a Embassy Residence Confirmation which apparently I now need for opening a simple savings Bank Account?

thanks in advance! best regards KD

:o

I have assisted two friends with tourists visas in opening accounts at SCB in the last week. Neither had any documentation other than passports. My advice is to find a friend with an existing account and accompany him to the bank where he has a good working relationship with the management. This seems to work better than a tourist just walking in off the street and muttering English to Thai staff.

You don't need any documentation at all other than your passport. You WILL need a work permit to open an account that pays interest, otherwise you just get 0%. It seems though that the bank rules are applied VERY inconsistently, so if one won't give you an account, just try asking to speak with the manager, or, try the other banks next door. You shouldn't need to "go in with a friend" etc etc, especially if you're in BKK.

I'm guessing you went to the Bangkok Bank which seems to have a new policy for asking for a notary letter from your embassy these days. It's a bullshit letter anyway, as the embassy doesn't check your address, they just charge you a ridiculous amount for a letter which says ' we confirm that so and so claims to live at this address.'. Doesn't say anything at all really, and you can quite easily open an account with them under a false address were you so inclined.

I haven't used SCB but a lot of people say it's no problem. Try the Kasikorn bank, just need a passport, can get internet banking with them as well.

Edited by bkkmadness

I had a similar experience when for my retirement Visa I needed to open a bank account here in Bangkok. My first choice was Bangkok Bank, because I was told it has the most advanced electronic banking services.

When I went to a Bangkok Bank branch, they asked for my working permit, which I obviously didn't (couldn't) have. All explaining, even with the help of my Thai wife did not lead to anything and I had a hard time controlling my temper in face of such a concentration of stupidity and stubbornness.

So I went to Kasikorn Bank (Thai Farmer Bank), and all they wanted to see was my passport. I opened 2 bank accounts with ATMs, electronic banking etc, all done in one hour. Very friendly and very efficient.

I just opened a normal account with Bankok Bank with just a passport, no letter or WP needed.

Jake

Jake, might be useful to mention the branch you used.

Sukhumvit Bangkok bank which was always the 'old favourite' for opening accounts have been asking for a notary letter so I expect people will be pleased to hear of one that doesn't.

In the past I had accounts with Bangkok Bank as well as Kasikorn, but I think I will be concentrating on the Kasikorn Bank as they seem much more user friendly and having internet banking etc is always going to be an advantage for me as I travel a lot.

That letter from the embassy is the same one they want if you get your Thai driving license...when I saw it I realised that apart from making money for the embassy, it says exactly nothing!

Greer

I have several accounts at BKK Bank and everyone of them is a problem due to my lack or work permit (I work in other countries).

I would give BKK Bank a miss, they do not want your money.

I sgned up for internet banking, was promsed everything is no problem but ended up receiving an email from them after I had left Thailand saying that they made a msitake and I cannot have internet banking due to me being a foreigner. Great, they left me without money and no option to get any.

I will be back home (thailand) next week and will be checking out other banks.

My pay will now be going into a newly opened offshore account.

My wife can open an account in Aust. and get a credit card even though she doesn't even have a tourist visa, has only been there twice. But Thailand banks just don't seem to want our money.

Banking in Thailand is just too hard.

Bye bye Thai banks, your a waste of time.

(apologies for this rant, I have had nothing but troubles from banks in Thailand over the last few years and I am fed up with them all).