Chiang Mai spray paint vandals: Brit spared jail as repentant Brittney goes all cultural

webfact

Chiang Mai spray paint vandals: Brit spared jail as repentant Brittney goes all cultural

1_Briton-and-Canadian-Arrested-for-Tagging-Graffiti-on-Chiang-Mais-Famous-Tha-Phae-Gate-Wall2.jpg

File photo

Canadian media said that both one of their nationals and a British man from Liverpool had avoided jail time over the spray painting of the Tha Pae historical wall in Chiang Mai.

Instead of ten years in jail Brittney Schneider, 22, and Lee Furlong, 23 were given 100,000 baht fines each by the judge, said CBC in Edmonton. 

0_Briton-and-Canadian-Arrested-for-Tagging-Graffiti-on-Chiang-Mais-Famous-Tha-Phae-Gate-Wall.jpg

File photo

Meanwhile, Brittney said she had learned her lesson and along with her mother had been doing lots of cultural things in Chiang Mai like visiting temples. 

She said she was thrilled not to be blacklisted and would come back to Thailand one day as it was a great country.

She went on Facebook to say:
"I realize I’ve made a huge mistake, one that in most eyes is unforgivable. I’m beyond sorry for what I did, not because I got caught but because I painted on such a sacred wall. I realized a few seconds too late that what I was doing was not okay. If I could go back to that night and redo it I would, unfortunately life doesn’t move backwards, only forwards. All I can do is try to move on and show I’m sorry, and be remorseful and try and give back as much as I can to this beautiful country. So for now, I will visit temples and on Monday I will volunteer at an orphanage. We are all human, we all make mistakes and we all are pink on the inside". 

Mr Furlong, from Liverpool in the UK is yet to make any public statements regarding the 100,000 baht fine. 

The case stemmed from their activities in mid-October when they were caught on CCTV after spraying "Scouser Lee" and the letter "B" on the historic wall - something that outraged Thais.

Last month Lee told the Daily Mail: "I'd been drinking all day. I'd had some bad news from my family and I went out drinking. I mean, I was really, really drunk.

"I saw the spray can and just picked it up. Honestly, I didn't know what I was doing. When I woke up the police were here.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-14

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Mr Furlong, from Liverpool in the UK is yet to make any public statements regarding the 100,000 baht fine. 

Well one things for certain. it will be a while before he can afford anymore cans of spray paint. It should give him plenty of time to learn how to spell Scouser.

Not a surprise there is no logic only madness same as everything here, a Thai person would never have got such a hefty fine and as far as a possible jail sentence of 10 years just goes to prove it.

As an example french man was jailed for 14 years for murder the other week...????

Archived