Thai Embassy London - age for Non 'O'

You must be 65 years old or over and getting a state pension to get a non-o visa at the embassy in London. Proof of the state pension is the only financial proof required.

If under 65 you can get a a OA long stay visa for retirement if 50 or over if you can show the equivalent 800k baht in a UK bank or proof of 65k baht income.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Is it your intention to retire, or just visit Thailand.

If retirement, there are other options available when you cannot get the 'O' Visa in the UK as long as you meet the financial criteria.

I currently live here, travel back to UK twice a year for work. I let my last retirement extension lapse earlier in the year as i had to stay in UK longer than expected. My last non'O' was derived from a 30 day entry , converted to 90 day single 'O' and extended to retirement status. This was done by Khon Kaen immigration some 5-6 years ago and I have always renewed with the Embassy proof of income letter. Due the changes in the Embassy's letter and the local gossip it would appear that the same route s not going to be possible. I was talking to a lad this morning that said I could get an 'O' from the Embassy at my age 56. I disagreed hence the original question. But on the plus side I have won the 500Baht bet ???? . I generally do 5 months in Thailand, 1 month in the UK so i can juggle Tourist Visa and border crossing twice a year until it all settles down......

On 11/14/2018 at 10:52 AM, ubonjoe said:

You must be 65 years old or over and getting a state pension to get a non-o visa at the embassy in London. Proof of the state pension is the only financial proof required.

If under 65 you can get a a OA long stay visa for retirement if 50 or over if you can show the equivalent 800k baht in a UK bank or proof of 65k baht income.

On the OA 3 questions - what type of Police Report, what type of Medical Report and you have guessed it, how do you satisfy your income to the Embassy ?

Due to the UK-Thai exchange rate, I'm thinking of letting my visa extension lapse in Thailand, and getting a retirement visa next time I'm in UK, then only bringing money over 'as needed'. But I'm getting a bit confused with the comments about age requirement.

Here's an extract from Thai Embassy, London website;

Non-Immigrant Type O 

• [edited out other options]...
  • For pensioner (aged 50 or over) : A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000 

- They seem to be saying over 50 not over 65, and pension statement an option not a requirement - or bank funds.

Edited by RickBlaine
confused terminology (by me)

10 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

They seem to be saying over 50 not over 65, and pension statement an option not a requirement - or bank funds.

The recently changed their requirements. I am sure you must be drawing a state pension. I suspect the 10k pound number will only be allowed if you are old enough to have a state pension. 

I suggest you contact them about what exactly they require now.

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The recently changed their requirements. I am sure you must be drawing a state pension. I suspect the 10k pound number will only be allowed if you are old enough to have a state pension. 

I suggest you contact them about what exactly they require now.

A friend, 60, taking early retirement December, final salary pension, already transferred 1m baht into his Thai bank account, actually went to the Thai Embassy last month to enquire as he'll be moving to Thailand permanently end of the year.

He was told he didn't qualify as he's not receiving a State Pension.

He was only offered a Tourist Visa.

Not sure exactly when they changed the information, which has reverted back to the same information as in 2013, when they would issue a single entry Non Imm O, on the basis of being 50 or over, in receipt of a company/private pension or showing £10K in a UK bank.

I suggest e-mailing them first to clarify this information.

Edited by Tanoshi

10 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

A friend, 60...

He was told he didn't qualify as he's not receiving a State Pension.

He was only offered a Tourist Visa.

I suggest e-mailing them first to clarify this information.

Thank you for that!

Based on what I've been reading on the embassy website, I was already thinking about a flight to UK and applying for a new retirement visa there (using UK funds, instead of transferring them at the current exchange rate).

I wonder if the embassy is getting themselves confused with the line 'A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner'... A pension statement can come from a private pension, it doesn't mean someone is in receipt of a state pension.

As straight forward as always.

4 minutes ago, RickBlaine said:

Thank you for that!

Based on what I've been reading on the embassy website, I was already thinking about a flight to UK and applying for a new retirement visa there (using UK funds, instead of transferring them at the current exchange rate).

I wonder if the embassy is getting themselves confused with the line 'A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner'... A pension statement can come from a private pension, it doesn't mean someone is in receipt of a state pension.

As straight forward as always.

The new information is similar to that of pre 2014.

However even then, they would only issue a single entry Non Imm O (90 days) for being over 50 and in receipt of a pension, or proof of funds. I obtained a SE Non Imm O on that basis early 2014, before it changed later that year.

The ME Non Imm O Visa was only available to those married/Thai family, or in receipt of the State Pension.

The reference to 'State pension' has now been removed, which begs another question.