Entering the Republic of Ireland on a EU Family permit?

Hi,

My wife has recently got a EU family permit for the uk, she will fly alone from bangkok to birmingham where i will meet her at the airport, we plan to stay in birmingham for a day or 2 before we will go to Northern Ireland where we plan to live, as Dublin airport is only a few hours from where we plan to live will she be able to fly with me from birmingham to Dublin airport and travel by road to northern ireland with her EU family permit for the uk? will there be problems with immigration when she tries to enter the republic? will the airline leave her board the plane?

Any help from anybody in the know would be appreciated

By the way i am an Irish citizen

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi,

My wife has recently got a EU family permit for the uk, she will fly alone from bangkok to birmingham where i will meet her at the airport, we plan to stay in birmingham for a day or 2 before we will go to Northern Ireland where we plan to live, as Dublin airport is only a few hours from where we plan to live will she be able to fly with me from birmingham to Dublin airport and travel by road to northern ireland with her EU family permit for the uk? will there be problems with immigration when she tries to enter the republic? will the airline leave her board the plane?

Any help from anybody in the know would be appreciated
By the way i am an Irish citizen

Thanks.
Fly into Belfast problem solved

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, bumofdabeach said:

Fly into Belfast problem solved

Rather not if i can help it transport from belfast airport to where we will be living is a bit of a nightmare, Dublin would be so much easier a direct bus from the airport but i suppose if i have no choice then it will have to be belfast.

Rather not if i can help it transport from belfast airport to where we will be living is a bit of a nightmare, Dublin would be so much easier a direct bus from the airport but i suppose if i have no choice then it will have to be belfast.
I lived in Derry and as much as I hated going to Belfast (during the troubles) it was way closer than Shannon. But then things may have changed a bit since the 70s

17 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

For the Republic of Ireland (Europe) you need a Schengen visa.

Ireland is not a Schengen member!

But if Honda is a British citizen (or any other  EU nationality except Irish), the Irish will be issued for free under an accelerated procedure with minimum paperwork. See:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm

8 minutes ago, post said:

Are passengers required to pass through immigration control at Dublin airport if the flight is directly from Birmingham?    

yes immigration at Dublin Airport check passports from the uk, really i was just looking for an easier route to where we will be living in Northern Ireland and Dublin would be easier but looks like i will have to go through Belfast as there will no checks there as it's the uk, just thought freedom of movement with her family permit we could of passed through Dublin, also i'm an irish citizen so freedom of movement may not be available for her in the republic,

Anyway will book flights birmingham to belfast seems easier all round

Edited by honda99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, honda99 said:

yes immigration at Dublin Airport check passports from the uk, really i was just looking for an easier route to where we will be living in Northern Ireland and Dublin would be easier but looks like i will have to go through Belfast as there will no checks there as it's the uk, just thought freedom of movement with her family permit we could of passed through Dublin, also i'm an irish citizen so freedom of movement may not be available for her in the republic,

Anyway will book flights birmingham to belfast seems easier all round

Thanks for your reply. 

I always thought that travellers are not required to pass though immigration control within the CTA (Common Travel Area) but I know now I was wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, post said:

Thanks for your reply. 

I always thought that travellers are not required to pass though immigration control within the CTA (Common Travel Area) but I know now I was wrong.

yes it's always been like this travelling into ireland but when we travel into the uk from ireland there is no passport control for irish flights, don't know why but that's the way it is. as you said with the CTA you would think there would be no checks

yes it's always been like this travelling into ireland but when we travel into the uk from ireland there is no passport control for irish flights, don't know why but that's the way it is. as you said with the CTA you would think there would be no checks

When checking in for a flight from the UK to Ireland a non EU passport holder will have to show that they have the correct visa for entering the Republic of Ireland the common travel rule only applies to UK and Irish citizens

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app