Client sues SCB over account hack

snoop1130

Client sues SCB over account hack

By The Nation

b91b848ade7cecc97da59a84989ef97a.jpeg

A bank customer on Thursday filed a lawsuit against the Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) for compensation of Bt1.78 million after Bt1.67 million was stolen from her account in a call-centre scam.

Thanida Jiraphanit, 35, filed the lawsuit against the SCB at the Civil Court after she consulted the Foundation for Consumers.

She was accompanied by Chalermpong Klubdee from the foundation to file the suit.

The court scheduled a hearing on February 16 to discuss an out-of-court settlement.

The suit said the plaintiff was deceived into giving her ATM card details to a call-centre gang that used it to apply for an SCB internet banking app that was used to withdraw money from her account around 50 times from December last year to January this year. Bt1.67 million was withdrawn.

The suit demanded the bank take responsibility for failing to notice irregular transactions from her account and failing to alert her in time. 

The suit said the customer later realised that money had been stolen from her account although the bank should have taken measures sooner.

The suit demanded the stolen money plus 7.5 per cent interest.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30358624

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-15

43 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

I'd check your account if I were you. An ATM card PIN is not used in conjunction with an online account. Rather, a one-time password (OTP) is sent to your mobile phone to confirm the transaction. A bank cannot identify an ATM card via the PIN number, hence why they would NEVER ask for it.

I can assure you it does. Have  you installed the SCB Easy app?

"1. Registration
- Download SCB Easy app via App Store (IOS) or Play Store (Android).
- After completing download, open the app, and you will see the tutorial page.
- Select the language (English and Thai).
- Enter your ATM number or credit card number.
Note:
If you enter the ATM number, you are required to enter your PIN ATM.
If you enter the credit card number, you are required to enter your credit limit."

Edited by Orac

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Every time I make an internet transaction with SCB, I get an email to say x number of baht has been deducted from the account.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The app sends an email every time it id openned. Unfortunately many Thai's are not that familiar with email as the use line and messenger for communications. My wife asked me what the emails were for over a week after she had the app installed.

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think this supports the issue here: "Sorry madam, you're too gullible to be issued with a bank account. It's for your own good - we have a 'duty of care' to our customers."

Or, everybody else is responsible not me!

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

nothing to do with being thai, these type of scams are prevalent in many western countries - it's difficult to imagine but people do divulge personal banking details over the phone

OK i guess Thais are not stupid then :cheesy: 

proves once again that money will always be separated from the dumb. however, my skeptic neurons tell me that this might be a scam altogether. those 50 transactions may well be authorized, but this woman planned to claim they weren't so she can easily double her money. 

1 hour ago, Orac said:

I can assure you it does. Have  you installed the SCB Easy app?

"1. Registration
- Download SCB Easy app via App Store (IOS) or Play Store (Android).
- After completing download, open the app, and you will see the tutorial page.
- Select the language (English and Thai).
- Enter your ATM number or credit card number.
Note:
If you enter the ATM number, you are required to enter your PIN ATM.
If you enter the credit card number, you are required to enter your credit limit."

Blimey. I'd change banks immediately. No wonder SCB customers are getting robbed if their ATM PIN number is in the system for thieves to exploit. I can't for the life of me think why SCB would need your ATM PIN number when you don't need it for an transaction other than at a physical ATM machine itself. I use Kasikorn, Citibank and Thanachart online apps and not once have I needed to enter my PIN, nor would I. Ever.

4 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Dirty banks think there immune lol

Why shouldn't they be if a customer gives out their personal details to a stranger? It's like me giving you my telephone number then complaining to DTAC when you call me.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Apparently so, and then they expect the bank to compensate them for their stupidity, as cruel as it is, common sense needs to... wait...common sense??..better stop right there.

3 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Apparently so, and then they expect the bank to compensate them for their stupidity, as cruel as it is, common sense needs to... wait...common sense??..better stop right there.

That is the problem with common sense it isn't!

I have been with SCB 12 yrs and never had a problem. Only problem they has is not to have an English speaking attendant in each branch.

Ever time I use my bank and ATM I ALL WAYS GET A TEXT INFORMING ME IT HAS BEEN USED, TYE TIME AND DATE. It asked you to notify then if it was not you.

I don't think I can blame the woman for being taken in by these scammers. In the UK gangs have got very sophisticated in their methods and can input their texts into a legitimate thread from a client's bank, convincing a lot of intelligent people into giving out their account details without realising it's a scam.