Living In Thailand And Staying Healthy

Jookster

Hi,

I recently lived 6 months in Bkk. Within this time I frequently felt nauseous, had diarrhea several time, and vomited, fever, officially diagnosed with food poisoning about 4 times and so on.

As it happens I suspect that I did have food poisoning and was misdiagnosed on some occasions when I actually was suffering with IBS/ low stomach acid brought on by food poisoning. Which in turn made be more susceptible to food poisoning. I also think going out too much, sleeping too little and placing undue stress on myself was all part of the equation.

But I digress....

Who here found it took their stomachs a long time to get accustomed to living in Thailand. Am I particularly unlucky? Or as I suspect do a fair number of people take quite a while of being ill before then beginning to become ok?

Since I would like to live in Bangkok for a long time, I would like to do some long term experiences.

Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In one and a half years, I've only had one night of stomach upset.

I personally get more problems with ear infections and general tiredness.

I've cut down drinking alcohol alot and increased exercise, which so far seems to help.

Got a baby on the way, so need to get fit.

I've lived here on and off for a long time and I found that many bacterial infections here are seasonal. When the seasons and temperature here change, bacteria can change / mutate also. Flu, cold, stomach; conjunctivitis; ears-nose-throat problems are usually common during seasonal change.

Do not rely on the doctor all the time, and never over-use antibiotics. Keep reasonably fit, and eat well. Make sure you keep your mind active also, and keep a good circle of friends that you can trust and confide in, if you have problems. If mental health deteriorates, then physical health usually follows. Laying off / going easy on the booze also helps.

Only done 2 x 4 week spells in LOS so cant really help much, but I only had one rough day of puking but farrrrrrr too much beer the night before, too little sleep that night and found out a lass I'd been chattin up was a fella :D:o

Spent loads more time on the loo but that was every day, put it down to change of diet I guess

Hi,

I recently lived 6 months in Bkk. Within this time I frequently felt nauseous, had diarrhea several time, and vomited, fever, officially diagnosed with food poisoning about 4 times and so on.

As it happens I suspect that I did have food poisoning and was misdiagnosed on some occasions when I actually was suffering with IBS/ low stomach acid brought on by food poisoning. Which in turn made be more susceptible to food poisoning. I also think going out too much, sleeping too little and placing undue stress on myself was all part of the equation.

But I digress....

Who here found it took their stomachs a long time to get accustomed to living in Thailand. Am I particularly unlucky? Or as I suspect do a fair number of people take quite a while of being ill before then beginning to become ok?

Since I would like to live in Bangkok for a long time, I would like to do some long term experiences.

Thanks!

The big question is, what do you eat and where.

Been here quite a few years and I've only had mild food poisening once (from a beach BBQ).

However when I first got here I suffered from continual tiredness, not sure why although diet and weather were probably the most likely culprits.

As Kmart pointed out at certain times of the year flu/cold/throat infections are particularly rife and in my experience more severe and long lasting than their western equivilents.

Rarely ill in Thailand, but conditioned first in HK.

Food poisoning a few times from low, mid and high-end places. A few colds or 24-hour flus passed on by FNGs just off the plane from the West.

Eat and shop where the Thai neighbours do. You'll be fine. Just drink lots of water and down a Bt5 cocktail of orange-flavoured electrolytes and water every morning. Eat lots of fruit and veg.

Always keep up the hep shots, too. Especially good if you swim in the ocean. Not only fish out there.

My experience same as the OP.

I thought I'd die the first 3-4 months in Thailand. Constant symptoms of food poisoning (I ate breakfast and lunch in the college canteen, and dinners at a reasonably nice restaurant). At least every 10-15 days I came down with it, barely having the energy to climb four flights of stairs to my classrooms and apartment.

Teaching under these conditions was a nightmare. Often had to run out of class and throw up over the balcony (to the concern of occupants of lower floors), and during that time I messed my own pants for the first time since I was in diapers. In fact, diapers wouldn't have been a bad idea. For the first time in my teaching career, I became sympathetic to students who often had to leave class for restroom emergencies.

Happily/fortunately, that's all in the past. Now I might get food poisoning once a year (and I really haven't changed my eating habits/venues). It seems that my system now harbors immunity for the most "common stuff."

My extended family wants to come to Thailand to visit me, but my early gastronomic challenges are well known, and tends to keep them home.

Edited by toptuan

I think it does take time to adjust. I definitely had more bowel ache and loose stools in the first six months in Thailand.

But now I am more aware. Hot foods are usually O.K. watch out for salad items.

Wash your hands more and clean out your fridge well. Clean your teeth more often and floss them.

The temperatures in Thailand are ideal for bugs to thrive in just a few hours.

Sterilise chopping surfaces, change dish-cloths and tea towells; boil them!

Above all, don't be too afraid. And if you develop fever or blood/mucus in stools seek medical help immediately.

a Bt5 cocktail of orange-flavoured electrolytes and water

Can anyone explain what these are and where to get'em ?

Hi, Waiwai. Available at every "pharmacist/nurse station." Little packs of orange crystals that basically replenish the salts and minerals you sweat out. Very important if you have diarrhea or vomiting. Better than gatorade (too much sugar).

a Bt5 cocktail of orange-flavoured electrolytes and water

Can anyone explain what these are and where to get'em ?

Possibly the Australian fizzy tablets dissolved in water called Barocca (or something like that) ? Possibly available at a larger pharmacy or at a western-oriented supermarket.

Thanks, jet and p.mike.

Would anyone have a name ? Or even a picture ?

Coz I don't know how to say, "Little packs of orange crystals that basically replenish the salts and minerals you sweat out. " in Thai :o.

Agree that the hot weather and sweating make lots and lots of water and mineral balance very important & lack thereof will make the body more vulnerable to other nasties.

Been here quite a few years and I've only had mild food poisening once (from a beach BBQ).

However when I first got here I suffered from continual tiredness, not sure why although diet and weather were probably the most likely culprits.

As Kmart pointed out at certain times of the year flu/cold/throat infections are particularly rife and in my experience more severe and long lasting than their western equivilents.

LOL. You're always ill mate, hence your nickname of sicknote. And I reckon you are still suffering from continual tiredness judging from the times you get into work :o

I really should of said shouldn't I!

Ok where did I eat?

I ate no street food! I ate at 'above average' restaurants. You know not very expensive, not cheap either. One place which is a 6 star restaurant. Cooked at home (bloody nightmare in a tiny one bedroom apartment), food courts.

Nothing really out of the ordinary.

I do suspect that some inital food poisoning really kicked off my stomach. (Which I suspect was from some dodgy street orange juice. Causing IBSish symptoms. Giving it a catch 22 in that it was more suspectible to more food poisoning, plus gave symptoms of food poisoning even when I didn't have any. I also suspect that my stomach is rather low in acid meaning I need (and have always felt a desire to consume) acidic foods. Which I didn't do that much in Thailand which in turn gives bacteria an easier time (they prefer alkali conditions). Plus I have a bad habit of not chewing my food properly. All make you more prone to food poisoning.

Good to know people who just 'got better', although doctors have told me not everyone adjusts.

Thanks

Good idea to see a stomach doctor, just to be sure everything is okay, and to get localized advice.

I've learned that spicy food can make me run to the hong nam faster and more often than usual, so I try to balance spicy and non-spicy farang type food. I've also learned that vegetables we find in the grocery stores and fresh markets really need to be washed well, in a food-friendly soap and water combination (according to my sister-in-law who is trained in nursing). I try to be careful about eating fresh cabbage, etc., at restaurants or food stalls I don't trust.

It's also a good idea to observe how busy a food stall or restaurant is before eating there. If it's popular, it's probably pretty good, otherwise, there may be a reason.

Edited by Upcountry

LOL. You're always ill mate, hence your nickname of sicknote. And I reckon you are still suffering from continual tiredness judging from the times you get into work

haha! As we're on the topic of personal healthcare, how is that nasty bout of facial herpes coming along? :o

Are you folks mostly talking about eating Thai food that you wouldn't be having a steady diet of, back home? My digestive system didn't have to adapt; I kept eating Western food. I never have a weak stomach.

I almost never eat Thai food, except khao paht gai. But I eat over a kilo of fresh fruit every day (mostly watermelon, red grapes). Almost never get diarrhea, and got very little of it when I arrived.

Kharma may strike me dead at any moment, but I've eaten 'wrong' all my life and all it did was put on weight (which I can take off) and rot my teeth. Okay, you can make fun of my lifestyle now, instead of calling each other names. :o

The problem isn't Thai food itself it's what's added to Thai food to give it "flavor" to the Thais. They slather their dishes in that super salty fish sauce and they use artery blocking palm oil sometimes to stir fry dishes. They also reuse oil for days that means all the grease from the meat is cooked into the existing batch of oil to make it extremely unhealthy and unsanitary. Watch what they put in their drinks sometime too they dump loads of sugar into everything.

Thailand has a high rate of heart disease and diabetes because of this type of eating.

Thai's do seem to love sugar, and the reuse of oil is particularly bad on street food. Where it can be black.

Now sure about 'good' restaurants...

I don't think the reuse of oil would be likely to cause food poisoning, not at the temperatures it is heated to. Still if it contains bits of meat/fish etc, it could contain bacterial toxins which aren't destroyed by heat if I'm not mistaken.

Thai's do seem to love sugar, and the reuse of oil is particularly bad on street food. Where it can be black.

Now sure about 'good' restaurants...

Sanitation can be pretty nasty in even the good restaurants. You don't see what goes behind the door..at least with street food you can see how things are stored and how they prepare things.

I don't think the reuse of oil would be likely to cause food poisoning, not at the temperatures it is heated to. Still if it contains bits of meat/fish etc, it could contain bacterial toxins which aren't destroyed by heat if I'm not mistaken.

The oil and grease doesn't cause food poisoning it's just extremely unhealthy. All the fat and salt gets disolved into the oil over and over again to create a nasty sludge. When they fry stuff in it some of it is absorbed like a sponge into the chicken or whatever. So you're getting a lot more saturated fat and whatever else falls into that oil along with your meal.

When it comes down to it the safest thing to do is to make your own food here if you can cook. Homecooked Thai meals are the best too because you know what's going in.

My stomach is till ok, my lungs though are full of all the polution in this country...:o

Getting out of Bangkok would help.

As for the original question, I have come and gone since 95 and lived here steadily for 6 years - I still often get stomach problems. So the doctors are right that some people never fully adjust.

I could of course stick to Western food all the time, but it would be a lot to ask of my spouse, plus my mouth really likes Thai food, it's just the digestive tract that has a problem with it sometimes.

The only time I have had serious food poisoning was from the Pepsi in Pizza Company in Pata Pinklao.

The problem isn't Thai food itself it's what's added to Thai food to give it "flavor" to the Thais. They slather their dishes in that super salty fish sauce and they use artery blocking palm oil sometimes to stir fry dishes. They also reuse oil for days that means all the grease from the meat is cooked into the existing batch of oil to make it extremely unhealthy and unsanitary. Watch what they put in their drinks sometime too they dump loads of sugar into everything.

Thailand has a high rate of heart disease and diabetes because of this type of eating.

That is correct, diabetes is horrendously high here. Thais eat like children; they have to have loads of sugar or salt on everything. :o