Traffic Lights

kensisaket

I just got an official letter in the mail from the Warin (Ubon) police.  It was a traffic ticket with pictures of my vehicle going thru a yellow light.  According to my wife the narrative said the ticket was for running a yellow light.  Anyone know the Thai law that addresses going thru caution lights?

This is an extract from the Land Traffic Act ...

Section 22

(1000B)

[Meaning of traffic light:

Green: the driver may drive the vehicle through

Yellow: the driver shall prepare to stop the vehicle behind the stop line. If the driver has

passed the stop line when the traffic light turns yellow, he may go through.

Red: the driver shall stop the vehicle behind the stop line.

Green Arrow: the driver shall drive according to the direction of the green arrow, but shall

be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

Blinking Red: the driver shall stop at the stop line and, when it is seen safe, may proceed

with care.

Blinking Yellow: the driver shall reduce the speedof the vehicle and proceed through the

roadway carefully.]

The driver who is to drive the vehicle straight ahead shall keep to the traffic lane with a

traffic sign indicating going straight ahead and the driver who is to turn the vehicle shall

keep to the traffic lane with a traffic signal indicating turning. Entering into the said traffic

lanes shall be made from where there is traffic sign indicating such

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I read it as Yellow means stop - but you can carry on through if the light was green when you crossed the stop line.

I foresee a lot of new Benz' in the police station car park.

From what you posted I agree with yellow means stop guess I'll just pay the 500 baht.  That is a major intersection and I would say they could give 1000 tickets a day for the same thing; so, the Benz statement seems to be correct as well.  The problem I have with the ticket (especially here in Thailand) is how many rear end accidents are going to be caused.  Nearly every traffic light at least 4 or 5 cars go thru the red light let alone yellow lights.

Archived