Dinosaur Fossils To Be Properly Protected By Law

Jai Dee

Dinosaur fossils to be properly protected by law

Director-General of the Fine Arts Department indicated that at present there is no law that directly punishes illegal possession and smuggling of dinosaur fossil in Thailand.

Director-General of the Fine Arts Department, Arak Sanghitakul (อารักษ์ สังหิตกุล) revealed that there are many sites in Thailand, especially in Khonkaen Province, where dinosaur fossils were found. There are also foreign antique dealers and researchers smuggling the fossils to their country. As a result, the Council of State had decided to put dinosaur fossils in the list of national archeological objects which is protected by the 1961 Act on Ancient Monuments, Antiques, Objects of Art and National Museums.

Once dinosaur fossils have been put in the Act, researchers and private organizations who wish to display the fossils at an exhibition outside the country are required to ask for the Fine Arts’ Department’s permission first. Those who violate the Act will face seven years of imprisonment and/or a fine charge of 700,000 baht.

The director general added that the department’s lawyers are also drafting laws directly concern Dinosaur’s fossils and will forward it to the Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment for consideration. The latter is directly responsible for all kinds of fossils found in Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 Febuary 2007

This should work really well. The fine arts dept can deny permission to those they don't like and give permission to those who are gov't or family connected...or who have deep pockets. Yes, this should work really well for creating an illicit revenue stream for the fine arts dept.

Dinosaur fossils to be properly protected by law

Director-General of the Fine Arts Department indicated that at present there is no law that directly punishes illegal possession and smuggling of dinosaur fossil in Thailand.

Director-General of the Fine Arts Department, Arak Sanghitakul (อารักษ์ สังหิตกุล) revealed that there are many sites in Thailand, especially in Khonkaen Province, where dinosaur fossils were found. There are also foreign antique dealers and researchers smuggling the fossils to their country. As a result, the Council of State had decided to put dinosaur fossils in the list of national archeological objects which is protected by the 1961 Act on Ancient Monuments, Antiques, Objects of Art and National Museums.

Once dinosaur fossils have been put in the Act, researchers and private organizations who wish to display the fossils at an exhibition outside the country are required to ask for the Fine Arts’ Department’s permission first. Those who violate the Act will face seven years of imprisonment and/or a fine charge of 700,000 baht.

The director general added that the department’s lawyers are also drafting laws directly concern Dinosaur’s fossils and will forward it to the Ministry of Culture and Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment for consideration. The latter is directly responsible for all kinds of fossils found in Thailand.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 Febuary 2007

I think most of us were aware that the authorities are very keen these days to preserve dinosaur fossils not to mention the system that supports them, although I was a bit surprised to note the Ministry of Natural Resources has responsibility "for all kinds of fossils found in Thailand".There is one spectacular old fossil originally from the South but with a footprint in Khonkhaen, who deserves special scrutiny.Actually it would be a favour to all if some foreign antique dealer took a shine to this old geezer and took him off into the sunset, hopefully never to return.

This is excellent news! I am glad to see that the government is taking a serious stance on this and using the laws it has at it's disposal to protect our heritage.

Too often such things are considered of very low value and importance, and although getting rice on the table is a priority for present Thais, in future, the rich and ancient cultural heritage and the history of the land will feature more prominently, so we must protect what we have now, before it's too late.

Thank you to our Government, and those really interested in working to preserve the past for our future.

Greer

As a keen amateur fossil hunter (in England) I agree that protecting fossil treasures of all countries is a good thing. However the fossils also need to be found to be protected. I now live in Thailand, in an area devoid of fossils and wonder if any thaivisa readers know about taking part in government sanctioned fossil hunting or digs, that I could involve myself in. Willing to travel :-)