Surprised to see counter staff handling meat with bare hands at Big C Extra.

giddyup

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

What local butcher, where? I'm trying to recall if my butcher in Australia ever wore plastic gloves, but my memory fails me.

This maybe big c Chiang mai where I have seen a French butcher serving and cutting meat in western style traditional cuts and preparation. This meat is uncooked and cooking should kill any bacteria. If beef tartars well you take your own risk. If using knifes an armoured glove is often used by butchers where meat is held for their protection. However  rubber or plastic disposable gloves do not allow full control of knife skills. I do note that many food factories in EU do NOT use gloves even disposable as hands are usually washed and proved gloves lead to cross contamination as they are not frequently changed. So a contentious subject proved by science. Quite often they are reused in some food outlets..take a look at that cake shop where they use them and those that handle bread without any then handle money even with gloves in !!!!! Ahhhhhh

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RicUSA said:

I've only lived here 4 months and that would not surprise me - thailand ways of doing things are very layed back.  Big C is sort of a discount store like walmart to me.  But as you say - the cooking will kill any surface bacteria - should get a meat thermometer to make sure center of steak is 140 - 160 F or 60 - 70 degrees C.  

Cooking destroys bacteria but not the toxins already produced by the bacteria. Some bacteria produce heat resistant spores also. One reason I don't buy meat from the open self service, free for all, meat displays even though these days most customers use tongs. These toxins or spores can give you the runs or make you very sick depending on the particular bacterium. It's a lucky dip whether you get ill or not.

Edited by Estrada

19 hours ago, RicUSA said:

I've only lived here 4 months and that would not surprise me - thailand ways of doing things are very layed back.  Big C is sort of a discount store like walmart to me.  But as you say - the cooking will kill any surface bacteria - should get a meat thermometer to make sure center of steak is 140 - 160 F or 60 - 70 degrees C.  

If you know how to cook a steak you do not need thermometer.

Hot oil pan or barby cook one side wait till blood starts to come out the uncooked side then turn it over and wait for the blood to seep out that side. Take and put on a plate with another over the top, wait 5 minutes and eat, Yummy, perfect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's only since the 80 & 90's that we've become germ obsessed in the west; health & safety ad nauseam. A few bugs are good for the immune system.

Very true. Apparently babies and children raised in less sterile environments and exposed to dirtier conditions develop more robust and effective immune systems as teens and adults and less allergies also. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Very true. Apparently babies and children raised in less sterile environments and exposed to dirtier conditions develop more robust and effective immune systems as teens and adults and less allergies also. 

Thats why my Mom used to make me live in the Chicken Coop while my sister had a 4 poster decorated like a Princess'. Health.

Makro workers may wear gloves but I see them dumping raw meat into shopping carts and stocking it into the shelves.  So not only is the meat being exposed to dirty shopping carts but you are also putting your groceries into carts that have had raw meat in them.

KU beef at Kasetsart University has really good Thai beef.  5 star ribeye is 850 baht per kilo.  But you have to buy a whole piece, 4-5 kilos.  They will slice it however thick you want and vacuum bag it for you for free.

www.kubeef.com/CO_OP_map.php

2 minutes ago, rwill said:

Makro workers may wear gloves but I see them dumping raw meat into shopping carts and stocking it into the shelves.  So not only is the meat being exposed to dirty shopping carts but you are also putting your groceries into carts that have had raw meat in them.

KU beef at Kasetsart University has really good Thai beef.  5 star ribeye is 850 baht per kilo.  But you have to buy a whole piece, 4-5 kilos.  They will slice it however thick you want and vacuum bag it for you for free.

www.kubeef.com/CO_OP_map.php

The imported Aussie sirloin at Big C was 800 baht a kilo and it was tender and tasty. I won't take a chance on Thai beef any more, tough as old boots.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

The imported Aussie sirloin at Big C was 800 baht a kilo and it was tender and tasty. I won't take a chance on Thai beef any more, tough as old boots.

ku beef sirloin is 450 baht per kilo for the 5 star.  (they have 3 grades)

The guy is an English Master Butcher- always very helpful- if you want a specific cut you can order and will give very good advice.

I can never remember my local excellent butcher at home wearing gloves - and as someone mentioned- saw dust on the floor , game hanging on hooks - although they never handled money and touched the meat - sensible .

Big C Extra is great - the most amazing selection, good fish, and the bakery is really good- their tart au citron is to die for - hardly Walmart 

• Like 1

Was there just last night. We arrived here to Doi Saket on the 7th and have been taken aback by the lack of hygiene here. I am not saying I was unaware of it because I spent many hours online on YouTube, etc, so I knew, but when you’re actually here it’s like damn!, if ya know what I mean. Being an American, this really is hard to get used to. That open meat table with people rummaging through the meat is mind boggling. Other meats and what have you out in the open...we just shook our heads and went for the frozen foods. I didn’t see the Australian beef tho. I’ll have to look a little harder next time. 

Again, I knew all of this, so don’t blast me with you shoulda...it’s just impactful when you actually see it. We’ll adjust. We love it here, so we’ll make due. 

22 hours ago, LennyW said:

Cant ever recall the local butcher wearing gloves of any sort!

No problem handling food of meat with the hands provided the person doesn't handle the money . That's why you pay with a coupon. Normally the price is stuck on the bag and is paid for at the counter on the way out. The problem of eating meat is what has the animal been eating.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm used to seeing tables of chicken and pork laid out uncovered and people rooting through for the best looking pieces, but it surprised me to see counter staff handling meat bare handed, especially a falang.

Come on somebody..........WP? I wouldn't dare after all the fuss it caused about the car wash guy.

Edited by wgdanson

31 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

I am happy to be vegetarian and don't have to be concerned about these issues, and not just a vegetarian for one week a year like the Thais and their monks.

Did you read the recent article about antibiotics in oranges, or all the arsenic in rice. But good on you mate, keep it up. By the way, why do they make Linda McCartney sausages and burgers taste like meat?   lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Did you read the recent article about antibiotics in oranges, or all the arsenic in rice. But good on you mate, keep it up. By the way, why do they make Linda McCartney sausages and burgers taste like meat?   lol

I suppose the oranges have the flu and the rice is suicidal.  I don't avoid meat because I think it is unhealthy, but because I don't want to kill any sentient being.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

I suppose the oranges have the flu and the rice is suicidal.  I don't avoid meat because I think it is unhealthy, but because I don't want to kill any sentient being.

I know Potted plants smarter than some folks, so I would make sure your broccoli hasnt evolved.

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I know Potted plants smarter than some folks, so I would make sure your broccoli hasnt evolved.

I am licensed to give IQ tests, so the next time my broccoli and I have a conversation I will informally assess its intelligence; just to be sure.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ReMarKable said:

I am licensed to give IQ tests, so the next time my broccoli and I have a conversation I will informally assess its intelligence; just to be sure.

Here? Do you speak Thai? My Papayas dont speak English.

Madam Moon is quite happy to shop for meat on the local market or even off the back of a pick up when the 'mobile butcher' comes around.

No gloves, no chillers, plenty of flies around. I've been downing her excellent cooking for five years now and never had a gastronomic issue.

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'm used to seeing tables of chicken and pork laid out uncovered and people rooting through for the best looking pieces, but it surprised me to see counter staff handling meat bare handed, especially a falang.

Watch youtube video's of famous chefs like Ramsey or Jamie....they also like to touch meat in the frying pan with bare hands....and they also use metal utensils in teflon pans.....they don't wear the chefs hat or mouthmask.....Ramsey even has michelin stars iirc.

Bingo within 10 seconds

Edited by fruitman

Nothing unusual to handle meat without gloves. 

I suppose the OP would expect a chef to have gloves when preparing and cooking his meal.

Anyone that wears disposable gloves when cooking is asking for a disaster to happen. 

As for 2 pieces of THICK Ausi sirloin for 250 baht, ???? Maybe 2 x 6oz steaks would be more like it. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

But dirty hands are full of bacteria and you can really get sick 

So your point is really stupid 

I always speak up when I see Thai people take meat with their bare hands in makro 

Try use plastic bag or gloves 

Can't wait to see you speak up against ramsey...watch the video above

• Like 1

There are several nonverbal culture fair tests which primarily focus on spatial arrangement and the logical order of different symbols.  Of course the broccoli would have to have significant arm (stalk) strength to respond.  Hopefully any future veggies I buy will be bilingual so this will not be an issue.

17 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

But dirty hands are full of bacteria and you can really get sick 

So your point is really stupid 

I always speak up when I see Thai people take meat with their bare hands in makro 

Try use plastic bag or gloves 

I spoke up to the Foodland butchers many times, they do use gloves but also grab the bag with my meat with the same gloves...

I even mailed it to Foodland with an english video course about how to treat meat as a butcher, they still do it like always....

So the bag with my meat is touched by the butcher's gloves, i touch it, the cashier and packing staff touches it...so it's all over the supermarket......

15 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

Nothing unusual to handle meat without gloves. 

I suppose the OP would expect a chef to have gloves when preparing and cooking his meal.

Anyone that wears disposable gloves when cooking is asking for a disaster to happen. 

As for 2 pieces of THICK Ausi sirloin for 250 baht, ???? Maybe 2 x 6oz steaks would be more like it. 

Well, it was whatever weight 250 baht buys you from 800 baht a kilo. More than enough for two, unless you happen to be an obese Texan, and no, I don't expect a chef to wear gloves, but for counter staff yes. I don't see counter staff at Tesco picking up my sliced ham with bare hands, they use tongs.