7-Eleven wages war on plastic bags

webfact

35 minutes ago, Mister Fixit said:

It would be a good start if the idiots in 7/11 (as well as Tesco and Big C) didn't put anything heavier than a large bottle of milk or beer in TWO plastic bags!   ????  ????

My local Tesco shop only reluctantly will put an item in two bags.

A couple of weeks ago a check-out lady put over 4kg of drinks in just one bag. As I was lifting it off the counter, the carton made a hole in the plastic bag. Rendering it useless. She (check-out girl) then attempted to put the goods into a second bag,,, and you have guessed it; the bag split right across the bottom. The cartons of fruit drinks fell out but fortunately did not damage to the point where fluid leaked out.

Now, was this a one-off defective bag? I don't know because I now do my shopping at Big C. Their bags are green (environmentally more friendly),  and the check-out ladies seem more clued up on the stuff they actually put in the bags.

The downside to me now going to Big C is that the check-out ladies are not as lovely looking as at Tescos, but are more efficient.

I do moan though at Big C. It's that sometimes they mix refrigerated goods with non-refrigerated goods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Is there anyone here who nearly two years ago was directly asked by staff if they wanted a bag, when making a single-item purchase?

Is there anyone now who has been asked the same question by staff?

I can't answer that bluesofa I'm afraid, 'cause after the last scandal at 7-11 (so eloquently discussed and debated on TVForum), Ron, myself, and Professor Pigeon also, have refused to go into 7-11. We, up here in the North East 'walk it as we talk it' so to speak.

But!!! I will ask around the village to find out if the good people have been asked (when they were last in 7-11) whether they wanted a bag or not. I'll get back to you on that.

It would help matters a great deal if 7-11 could have a more unique plastic bag. A bag that everyone could recognise that it came from 7-11. Just like big C.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Greyhat said:

Does this mean I won't get a straw when I buy a bottle of cooking oil?

No, it means you'll get FIVE plastic straws to compensate for the loss of the plastic bag you're no longer supposed to receive with your cooking oil bottle.

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

No, it means you'll get FIVE plastic straws to compensate for the loss of the plastic bag you're no longer supposed to receive with your cooking oil bottle.

I don't get this at all. Why would you want plastic straws for a bottle of cooking oil?

If, as some posters have suggested, plastic, of any description, be banned, then it would probably lead to 7-11 customers bringing in a tin can and having it filled through a holding tank of sorts. 

I just don't see that as a technological improvement and seems at odds with Thailand's general theme (Thailand moves forward).

Edible drinking straws are the future anyway. Also; 7-11 are considering drone delivery of certain goods. That will be good for me, Ron and Professor Pigeon as we can order online and not break our 7-11 boycott. "Get your morning cup of coffee delivered with 7-11." I can see the adverts now, as I type.

Edited by owl sees all

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I can't answer that bluesofa I'm afraid, 'cause after the last scandal at 7-11 (so eloquently discussed and debated on TVForum), Ron, myself, and Professor Pigeon also, have refused to go into 7-11. We, up here in the North East 'walk it as we talk it' so to speak.

But!!! I will ask around the village to find out if the good people have been asked (when they were last in 7-11) whether they wanted a bag or not. I'll get back to you on that.

It would help matters a great deal if 7-11 could have a more unique plastic bag. A bag that everyone could recognise that it came from 7-11. Just like big C.

Does 7 Eleven not have their name/logo on the plastic bags already? I haven't accepted one from any of the Udon branches for a few years, so just don't know.

Surely by having their logo on plastic bags would result in more bad publicity, when they would be seen blowing around in the wind/laying on the side of the road?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Does 7 Eleven not have their name/logo on the plastic bags already? I haven't accepted one from any of the Udon branches for a few years, so just don't know.

Surely by having their logo on plastic bags would result in more bad publicity, when they would be seen blowing around in the wind/laying on the side of the road?

I make you right there bluesofa. I hadn't considered that people would throw them away. 

A bar girl told me there were 43,000 7-11s in Thailand. And I calculated that if one person a minute gets a bag that would be 18 x 60 = 1080 bags per day from each store. 43,000 x 1080 = 46,440,000 a day, nationwide. That, of course, is for stores open for 18 hours rather than 24.

The downside is that the Thais, as highlighted by bluesofa, do not always put their bags in a rubbish bin. And they finish up "blowing around in the wind/laying on the side of the road." Which brings us back to the original topic.

Edited by owl sees all

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I make you right there bluesofa. I hadn't considered that people would throw them away. 

A bar girl told me there were 43,000 7-11s in Thailand. And I calculated that if one person a minute gets a bag that would be 18 x 60 = 1080 bags per day from each store. 43,000 x 1080 = 46,440,000 a day, nationwide. That, of course, is for stores open for 18 hours rather than 24.

The downside is that the Thais, as highlighted by bluesofa, do not always put their bags in a rubbish bin. And they finish up "blowing around in the wind/laying on the side of the road." Which brings us back to the original topic.

If anyone can confirm about 7 Eleven having their name on plastic bags, that would be interesting.

Although from what I can recall, I haven't seen loads of the bags around, but I was making the point that there are a fair few, and they are not biodegradable.

I'm afraid I'll have to query the knowledge of your bar girl informant, as a google search says that in March 2018 there were 11,000 stores in Thailand:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/Startup_and_IT/30341059

In January 2018, the newspaper we can't quote said exactly the same figure.

However, the more it is publicised the better, forcing supermarkets to become more responsible - in reality, not just in press releases.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is there anyone now who has been asked the same question by staff?

Yes I have. Here on Koh Phangan I´m asked by staff in about 90% of 7/11 and Family Marts. Even with a purchase of several items. Looks that the franchisees take it more serious here

1 minute ago, pikao said:

Yes I have. Here on Koh Phangan I´m asked by staff in about 90% of 7/11 and Family Marts. Even with a purchase of several items. Looks that the franchisees take it more serious here

That is good news!

Having said that, IIRC didn't I read very recently that a couple of the islands were trying to ban plastic bags?

It would be great for this to spread to the entire country.

• Like 1

I have been asked each time if I want a bag

I can't be bothered scrolling up, but is the poster who asked why you would need a straw fora bottle of oil.....is he for real?  That post gave me my only smile for the day.

Edited by Gillyflower

Where is this war taking place? Central Bangkok, or? I ask because it's business as usual with me having to refuse straws and plastic bags in every single 7/11 I have visited in the last month or so. This includes stores in Chonburi, Rayong, Ayutthaya, Nakhon Nakon etc.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gillyflower said:

I have been asked each time if I want a bag

I can't be bothered scrolling up, but is the poster who asked why you would need a straw fora bottle of oil.....is he for real?  That post gave me my only smile for the day.

Would you like to say where it is you are asked each time if you want a bag?

6 hours ago, DM07 said:

Again?

Didn't they wage war 2 weeks ago already?

BTW: not gonna happen! (and that's what I said 2 weeks ago, already!)

See: "An executive claimed the environment initiatives had been running for ten years though that would be news to many consumers."

Many?

All! 

No didnt wage war just a battle and lost that too. ????

• Like 1

One of the reasons I shop at Makro. No bags. I just wheel the cart out to my scooter place a few things under the seat and the rest in my backpack. All good. I don't have to "negotiate/plead" with the check-out girl to place items directly into my backpack like at Tesco or Big C.

If 7/11's parent company was truly serious, they would stop using plastic bags at the retail level and go back to paper and push cloth usable bags with their logo on it that they sell at deep discounts.
They aren't serious.  All of the retailers such as 7/11 who are the middlemen for the Petro-Chemical Plastics Industry are the problem.  Once the retailers stop buying and using plastic bags, then the Petro-Chemical Plastics Industry stops making them because they are no longer profitable.  Then the plastic bag problem ceases.
This Blame the End-Consumer game is utter nonsense.  It's a PR stunt and nothing else.  Most people aren't awake enough to connect the dots.

Edited by connda

7 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

It would be a good start if the idiots in 7/11 (as well as Tesco and Big C) didn't put anything heavier than a large bottle of milk or beer in TWO plastic bags!   ????  ????

Take your own strong bag and say NO to any plastic bags. If u buy just one or 2 items and u have your car, motorbike, or bicycle with u, u dont need a bag to carry them to your mode of transport.

• Thanks 1