Possible to cancel a visa extension at the border

I am leaving the country to get a non O visa at Savannakhet, have been working on a non B extension good til early 2020 that after leaving the company I was at last week has yet to be canceled.  Can I ask the immigration officer on the Thai side of the Friendship II bridge to cancel my non B extension as I leave and cross into Laos?

USA citizen, done the Savannakhet thing before in 2016 and it was easy.

It is better to get a letter from your employer stating your last day of employment, and cancel the extension at your immigration office. If you do not do so, although leaving the country (without a re-entry permit) will cancel your permission to stay (and extension) immigration at land borders will typically not let you do it.

58 minutes ago, PhuketAmerican said:

I have a re-entry permit

In that case, the situation is different. You would have no trouble leaving Thailand. There are two separate issues you may then run into:

• The Savannakhet Thai consulate may not want to issue you a Non O visa while you have a still valid permission to stay (with re-entry permit).
  • Immigration might give you grief in the future for not formally cancelling your extension of permission to stay and re-entry permit.

If you were leaving with the intention of never returning, I would say cancelling your extension is optional. Since you want to return, without any complications, I would strongly advise you to get the extension formally cancelled.

8 hours ago, PhuketAmerican said:

Can I ask the immigration officer on the Thai side of the Friendship II bridge to cancel my non B extension as I leave and cross into Laos?

At the bridge in Mukdahan they may not allow you to leave the country without being able to show a termination letter from your employer. If you have the termination letter they will send you to the nearby immigration office to have your extension canceled.

If you show a termination letter dated before the date you leave the could fines you for an overstay for everyday after that date.

If you have a valid re-entry permit they would allow to leave the country but when you enter the country they could insist on using your re-entry permit instead of your non-o visa.

The proper procedure is to have your extension formally canceled at immigration by showing a termination letter from your employer. If you go to immigration prior to the date on the letter they will post date the cancelation to that date which would allow you time to leave the country.