New Suvarnabhumi airport terminal on hold

webfact

New Suvarnabhumi airport terminal on hold

By The Thaiger

ee504adfd70f20eabba71d46f75020e0.jpeg

The AoT (Airports of Thailand) has put the new second terminal plans on hold awaiting reports and opinions from stakeholders and even the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

Two key organisations have been fierce critics of the new terminal, well overdue to help take the load off the already-over-capacity main terminal at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok.

The Architects Council of Thailand and the Council of Engineers say the new terminal plans have strayed from the airport’s master plan which was put together back in 1990.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/new-suvarnabhumi-airport-terminal-on-hold

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-22

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

The money would be much better spent sorting out the service in the existing airport, which must rank as the world,s worst with horrifying delays going through immigration. In Singapore the average time checking passports is around 30 seconds, compared to the up to 5 HOURS spent waiting in line in Bangkok. Totally unacceptable in a supposedly modern airport ! This creates a totally negative impression to any tourist entering the country, right from the start ????

do some really wait 5 hours

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

The money would be much better spent sorting out the service in the existing airport, which must rank as the world,s worst with horrifying delays going through immigration. In Singapore the average time checking passports is around 30 seconds, compared to the up to 5 HOURS spent waiting in line in Bangkok. Totally unacceptable in a supposedly modern airport ! This creates a totally negative impression to any tourist entering the country, right from the start ????

30 seconds ??? Sorry but on 15 October I arrived with TG in Singapore and the passport lines upon arrival took more than 30 minutes...and my problem is that I can walk easily but not stand a long time without severe back pain (I am 76)

• Like 2

I hope the new terminal does not have those idiotic segregated gates. If a flight is delayed or you want to buy some duty free stuff, you have to reacquire your boarding stub and show it when you return. I don't know any airport that throws you in prison while waiting for your flight.  

Not to mention the hundreds of extra steps for stairs and the overhead gate access floor, and no "up" escalator anywhere in the gate area. 

Guest Jerry787

present immediate improvement points, before plan a new terminal ;

- long wait for luggage

- long wait at immigration

- bottle neck and long wait taxi stand

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The AoT (Airports of Thailand) has put the new second terminal plans on hold

This would be a plausible excuse for halting it as they always like to blame others: More and more Chinese refrain from travel and become couch potatoes.

20 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Seriously, calm down.  World's worst?  You obviously don't travel much (I suspect you don't travel at all, just read an article about a delay once and that was enough to catapult you into hysteria).

We don't wait up to 5 HOURS waiting in line.  My usual experiences are a few minutes up to 25 minutes.  I did have an hour queue on a recent flight from Sydney which wasn't pleasant (especially as it was 3am) but it was rammed full of people and most desks were open.

And yes, Singapore is good, but again, you obviously don't travel much if you think it is 30 seconds.  I go there once a month for work and sometimes the queues (both inbound and outbound) are pretty long.  

This is off-topic but I was mightily impressed on a recent trip to Sydney.  Lots of machines on the jetway as you leave the plane.  Scan your passport, you get a ticket.  Then you get to immigration and you pop your ticket in a machine and it lets you through.  From aircraft door to passing immigration was about three minutes.  Best system I have seen.

• Like 1