Khon Kaen Immigration moving

20 hours ago, racyrick said:

Thanks for the direction. Unfortunately it is much longer for me. I live close to Bangkok Hospital and the old location was perfect.

Should be a lot less traffic for you.. Just go the Ring Rd and down about 2 lights and you are there..

23 hours ago, racyrick said:

Thanks for the direction. Unfortunately it is much longer for me. I live close to Bangkok Hospital and the old location was perfect.

From Bangkok Hospital, turn right onto route 12 and head west. Pass the airport turn and then bear left onto link road that joins the by-pass to Korat. Keep heading south until you see sign to bus station off on your right. This avoids much of the traffic and traffic lights on southbound route 2 in the city.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They know that many who have to visit Immigration come from out of town and will travel to KK by bus, and they very helpfully base themselves at the bus station. That, in Thailand, is quite astonishing.

Though I have heard that public transport to that bus station from anywhere on KK is terrible, of course it may have improved in the last year or so. No personal experience as I drive, just what I read

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Though I have heard that public transport to that bus station from anywhere on KK is terrible, of course it may have improved in the last year or so. No personal experience as I drive, just what I read

I'm not local but have often taken a taxi between the bus station and the airport. Fares are very reasonable and they actually use the meter if you go to the official stand. Fares to/from downtown would not be excessive either, I imagine. As for public transport to/from the bus station, others can answer that.

There is a bus that covers a lot of the Khon Kaen area that operates from the bus station 3 and it only cost 10baht plus there are a few songtaews that go there from in the city. There is more public transport to there than there is to the old office

20 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

From Bangkok Hospital, turn right onto route 12 and head west. Pass the airport turn and then bear left onto link road that joins the by-pass to Korat. Keep heading south until you see sign to bus station off on your right. This avoids much of the traffic and traffic lights on southbound route 2 in the city.

Thanks for the advice.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:26 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

They know that many who have to visit Immigration come from out of town and will travel to KK by bus, and they very helpfully base themselves at the bus station. That, in Thailand, is quite astonishing.

There might be the possibility the police academy wants the building back.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:48 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm not local but have often taken a taxi between the bus station and the airport. Fares are very reasonable and they actually use the meter if you go to the official stand. Fares to/from downtown would not be excessive either, I imagine. As for public transport to/from the bus station, others can answer that.

There is an aircon bus between the airport and bus station 3.

Goes through the town.

Cheap.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2018 at 7:01 PM, slappy said:

Better for some, worst for others, Including me, come from the north. But as someone else mentioned earlier, typical Thai logic. Why spend a lot of money on a refit, and then just move.

"If it's not broke fix it." This is not a Thai trait, it is universal. 

On 11/24/2018 at 7:01 PM, slappy said:

Better for some, worst for others, Including me, come from the north. But as someone else mentioned earlier, typical Thai logic. Why spend a lot of money on a refit, and then just move.

Do you think they actually use their own money? EVERYTHING is 'donated' look at the back of the chairs, for example, from Mataneedon School, Air Conditioners from another school in the city centre, etc. BIG corruption here is well-known among us long-term expats and local Thais