Long stay Health Insurance not available if out of UK for more than six months in the last year, advice appreciated.

geejay

Hello Everyone

My wife and I are both British Citizens and now spend about 7 months total over three visits a year to Thailand.

I have Bupa international health insurance, which is becoming very expensive and increasing by the rate of 20% per year.

I have applied to many UK long stay insurance companies online, to then read one of their conditions being” have you been a resident in the UK for a least 6 months when applying”

Initially I thought they were asking if I was a British resident, which I am, however after numerous telephone conversations seeking clarification, I was told that, if when applying I had I been out of the UK for more than six months in the last year, whether it be a single trip or multiple trips totaling more than six months, then they would decline to cover me.

If the agent that I was talking to seemed hesitant with the answer, I then asked to speak to a manager who then confirmed this rule.

I would therefore appreciate any advice on arranging health cover here in Thailand either buy trip or a full year policy and of course any recommendations on Companies, especially if anyone has had reasons to claim and the efficiency of that insurer.

My wife and I are both 67 and before she used to use Long stay single trip policies as an annual policy carries trip duration restrictions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi long stay is a term insurance companies normally refer to when you want to stay for more than a month.

However, regardless is the fact that they will decline any insurance if I have been out of the UK for more than 6 months in the last year when applying

14 minutes ago, steve187 said:

i think columbus direct only ask for 3 months in the UK, but i think they require you to be in the uk when you take out the insuranace

Thank you as I have just checked and you are correct that they have a three month rule and I will be back in the UK when arranging cover, I of course would have to complete the medical declaration at the time, but I will keep this company as a possibility and thank you again. 

I would still be interested if anyone has any recommendations regarding a year policy taken out here to cover myself and my wife.

A policy for a whole year would be a regular fulltime policy. It will cost yoy considerably more than travel insurance....aroung 5-6000USD for the two of you depending on insurer. If you are going tp live here fulltime with say not more than 1 brief trip back to the UK per year it makes sense, otherwise I still think you should take out travel policies for each trip.

A key issue is whether you will retain NHS eligibility and get non-emergency care in the UK under it. If you can do this then no reason to spend huge amount on expat insurance, you need only coverage for emergencies while in Thailand. If on the other hand you need to be able to get routine medical cate here, have elective procedures done here etc then you do need a full expat policy.

For travel medical insurance look at IMG and also April International. Both have multiple trip plans.

If you need full scale health cover then at your ages April My Health International or Cigna Global would be good options.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A policy for a whole year would be a regular fulltime policy. It will cost yoy considerably more than travel insurance....aroung 5-6000USD for the two of you depending on insurer. If you are going tp live here fulltime with say not more than 1 brief trip back to the UK per year it makes sense, otherwise I still think you should take out travel policies for each trip.

A key issue is whether you will retain NHS eligibility and get non-emergency care in the UK under it. If you can do this then no reason to spend huge amount on expat insurance, you need only coverage for emergencies while in Thailand. If on the other hand you need to be able to get routine medical cate here, have elective procedures done here etc then you do need a full expat policy.

For travel medical insurance look at IMG and also April International. Both have multiple trip plans.

If you need full scale health cover then at your ages April My Health International or Cigna Global would be good options.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you for your reply and very helpful information, I appreciate it very much.