Which Visa For A Writing A Book?

I am taking a one year sabbatical to write a book ... it's not on contract for any third party, though screen writing is my occupation. I have over 500,000 to cover my accommodation and other expenses, sufficient since I do not live and extravegant lifestyle - my base will be in a quiet area up north, where the costs are much lower.

Originally, I had planned to do this the easy way using monthly visa runs but the 90 day regulation changes last year wiped that option out. Other writers I know who were working here, have avoided the issue by relocated to Cambodia: I have already been living here for two years plus (legally on a work permit) and have a long term girlfriend - relocation to Cambodia is not good for her, but is my back up plan.

My current work permit will expire when I start the book, and it's current non-B reverts to tourist status - you then have 7 days to leave the country after that. Thank you Thailand, very generous :o - if it had been a 30 day stamp, I could have had a holiday and spent my bonus here.

So the question is which visa should I use. Will working on my own book with my own money be classified as working, requiring both non-B and work permit? Or does this fit into the other provision of the non-O category. If so, what funds will I need to show, the 400,000B in the bank? Will I need monthly 60K income too???

It's an interesting question and judging by the lack of answers on the usual visa information pages, I now understand why the other guys move to Cambodia. Getting an answer from official Thai sources is testing my patience to the limit.

If someone has had experience in doing this or similar, I'd appreciate it as I am now beginning to run out of time.

Pringle.

--------------------------

edit: The manuscript is not for a Thai publisher, but (hopefully) a EU publisher. i.e., no money will be earned from Thailand.

Edited by Pringle

Your best bet would probably be a non immigrant O visa on the basis of visiting friends but is not normally approved in local area consulates. If you can visit Oz/UK or USA you could probably obtain such a visa from an Honorary Consulate and return for 90 day stays for up to 15 months time.

How about marrying your girlfriend ?

Doesn't that mean I have to have 400,000 in the bank and show 60K income per month? or have I got that wrong?

The 400K is easy but 06K per month (720K income for the year) is not possible on the budget I have.

Pringle

If the revised Thai Elite Card is made available for the proposed 50,000 baht that might be an option. The visa with that is supposed to for 5 years.

The Thai Elite Card visa seems like the only legal way for unemployed singles under the age of 50 to stay in Thailand long term.

It's just an over glorified tourist visa.

I don't think the revised card has been approved yet.

Edited by richard10365

Okay, I am over 50 but I don't have any early retirement options I can take.

Could pay myself or my new wife the 40K per month? Problem is I do not have the time left to build the three months history (though I do have three months of history which will stop this month). I have 6 weeks to go (unless I go for a tourist visa first then I have the 3 months back history).

But if I pay myself, I'd require a work permit, yes? Having been through that process twice before, I really do not want to do again if I am working only for me.

I'm beginning to see why the guys went to Cambodia :o. I am surprised that the self-employed whose employers are off-shore, are not covered by a simplified work-permit of some type. Trying to acquire a WP using the current work permit forms designed for Thai companies is simply not possible. It must be beneficial to Thailand for them to be paying tax on offshore earnings.

In theory, this writing could turn out to be nothing more than a hobby if it remains unpublished - that is why I'm taking the sabbatical year, to prove to myself I can finish this project. If this is classified as a hobby to prevent myself from going crazy, does that change anything?

Is there any Sunbelt Asia visa shop available up north in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area where I can get 1-1 advice?

Edited by Pringle

You have got your girlfriend here,so why not just try to stay .it is not like you cannot stay here,maybe a bit unconvenience to apply for a tourist visa,but you would be spending money anyway if you wanted to do a visarun every month what is now changed.When the first 180 days are over you just could make 3 border runs again.I think if you get married,too much hassle cause you have to got a lot of papers together and will loose your time.I assume you want to stay in peace while writing.You do not make money aren't you?So i do not think you need a workpermit for that.If you want to get married you could apply for a multiple non-o,no money in the bank needed,but Singapore does(400k).

Since you are over 50,if you have 800k,or try to make that amount together and put it for 3 months apart,you could get a pensions visa I assume.But if nothing sees right,just comply and keep it easy,tourist visas are no limits on ,just do what you only can do for the moment,you are not illegal or anything,so no worries.

You have got your girlfriend here,so why not just try to stay .it is not like you cannot stay here ... When the first 180 days are over you just could make 3 border runs again.

My understanding is that once the 90 days of tourist visa are up, you have to stay out of the kingdom for 90 days before coming back into the kingdom again. ie, the days of the endless visa using the border run are over.

The idea is to stay in once place whilst writing is correct. with my GF around to look after the day-to-day things; She is also good at keeping the pressure on (to write). The thought of doing a border run every ninety days when on a non-O/B, is also no problem. But having to fly out to Penang every three months to organize a new tourist visa is both frustrating and a needless waste of money. Basically, I'm not earning so paying money out for new visas is pointless.

I might be able to get a non-B based on a TEFL qualification I have (but have no intention of using - trying to keep 30+ kids occupied for 20 hours a week every week has lost it's charm). But the WP legal classification of the writing for yourself is the sticking point.

Tomorrow I am due to see another writer who is still based here - maybe he has some more ideas to throw into the ring.

I am sure that if there is a good answer to this it will be handy to many others - I recall a girl last year complaining about the visa change and how it was going to prevent her writing a thesis here.

A non-B and work permit is clearly not the answer as you have to employ Thai staff which sounds unlikely unless you are doing massive research.

I suspect that you cannot get an answer from the authorities because a "book writing" visa would be difficult to control - anybody could assert that they are writing book a book just to get a visa.

There's an old cocktail party conversation joke:

Guest 1 "Hi, what do you do? I'm writing a book".

Guest 2 "Ah! writing a book?" "Neither am I".

By the strictest of definitions, walking down the street is 'work.' I've written a double novel over the last two years, but how is that work or employment or self-employment if nobody ever publishes the book, or pays me for my spare time? It's been a hobby. Now, if it's published and becomes a best-seller, let's see what happens.

Not here, but back home, a worker is considered to be 'carrying on a trade or business' if he holds himself out to the public as available for work, or available to perform services. Unpublished writers are not in a trade or business until they sell their first book.

It's unthinkable that the MFA, the MoE, or the Immigration Police have a special category for this. It doesn't fit into any category, so....maybe... it doesn't exist.

Getting a visa is difficult enough. I don't see how a self-employed writer would qualify for a WP, whether or not he's successfully published. Did Somerset Maugham have a work permit?

I am taking a one year sabbatical to write a book ... it's not on contract for any third party, though screen writing is my occupation. I have over 500,000 to cover my accommodation and other expenses, sufficient since I do not live and extravegant lifestyle - my base will be in a quiet area up north, where the costs are much lower.

Originally, I had planned to do this the easy way using monthly visa runs but the 90 day regulation changes last year wiped that option out. Other writers I know who were working here, have avoided the issue by relocated to Cambodia: I have already been living here for two years plus (legally on a work permit) and have a long term girlfriend - relocation to Cambodia is not good for her, but is my back up plan.

My current work permit will expire when I start the book, and it's current non-B reverts to tourist status - you then have 7 days to leave the country after that. Thank you Thailand, very generous :o - if it had been a 30 day stamp, I could have had a holiday and spent my bonus here.

So the question is which visa should I use. Will working on my own book with my own money be classified as working, requiring both non-B and work permit? Or does this fit into the other provision of the non-O category. If so, what funds will I need to show, the 400,000B in the bank? Will I need monthly 60K income too???

It's an interesting question and judging by the lack of answers on the usual visa information pages, I now understand why the other guys move to Cambodia. Getting an answer from official Thai sources is testing my patience to the limit.

If someone has had experience in doing this or similar, I'd appreciate it as I am now beginning to run out of time.

Pringle.

edit: The manuscript is not for a Thai publisher, but (hopefully) a EU publisher. i.e., no money will be earned from Thailand.

Get balanced ... pop a chip on your other shoulder. The bus for Cambodia leaves a few days a week. :D

A non-B and work permit is clearly not the answer as you have to employ Thai staff which sounds unlikely unless you are doing massive research.

This is not correct. No Thai employees are required to get a work permit.

As for writing a book. This is a gray area as the Labor Dept will tell you. They could never prove you were working when you were writing the book. ( Unless you told them you were) If you were working on a computer and a knock on the door happen. If the person clicked away, they would not have any proof. This was what the Labor Depts stance is.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If you can scrape up 800K and can season it for three months in a Thai bank, theres your one year retirement visa.

Agreed retirement visa is the easiest way. just required 800,000 on a bank account 3 months prior to visa obtention and over 50y old.

If you can scrape up 800K and can season it for three months in a Thai bank, theres your one year retirement visa.

Agreed retirement visa is the easiest way. just required 800,000 on a bank account 3 months prior to visa obtention and over 50y old.

Regrettably, this is not an option - my visa reverts in 28 days.

Previously when I had the 800K+ in the bank here, I was advised not to apply for it as it would kill off my WP. Catch 22. :o

Returning to the current situation: Have I missed the obvious? My current non-B is valid until November; When the work permit stops, is there a way of using the current visa until it expires?

Do you have a multi entry non immigrant visa obtained from a Consulate that expires in November (one year from issue date)? If that is the case the visa can be used for continued 90 day entries until that date and you can continue on your current 90 day stay.

If you are on a one year extension of stay from Immigration you will have 7 days to leave the country after work permit return.

Do you have a multi entry non immigrant visa obtained from a Consulate that expires in November (one year from issue date)? If that is the case the visa can be used for continued 90 day entries until that date and you can continue on your current 90 day stay.

If you are on a one year extension of stay from Immigration you will have 7 days to leave the country after work permit return.

Just checked - one year extension :o.

If I apply for a multiple entry visa, which is the nearest country currently issuing. I could return to the UK and apply through Hull but a protracted flight to a cold and wet Europe is going to cause great mischief to my arthritis, which is recently turned bad again and under treatment here (a Belgian guy suffering from the same kind of arthritis, lives here permanently on a non-something visa, his invalidity being paid from Europe - love to know how that one works).

This deteriorating health problem is the principle reason for taking the year out - it makes little difference how bad my joints get, I can always write; the lack of mobility is not a big problem. Living in South East Asia has considerably relieved the condition I have had since I was a teenager. The five years before moving out here were really problematical, forcing me to give up my then career. After 6 months, 99% of the inflamed joints were back to "normal", my medication ceased.

Pringle.

I'm a little bit in the same situation like you. I write computer programs not books.

For me (as an < 50 years person) there is no other solution then a tourist visa, border runs and once a year a trip home.

Please post if Australia embassy is giving multiple TV for foreigners or if the "apply in your home country" is now taken seriously even outside the neighbouring countries.

I've got a similar, though not exact, query. I'm a journalist who has been teaching English here for some time.

I'd really like to work more on the writing and there's a lot of freelance writing I could do if I wasn't entertaining Prathom students each day.

My question is: could I start a company (obviously Thai-owned) to be a self-employed journalist? Would the non-imm 'M' (media) visa be any use to me?

Another option is to stay here under a spouse visa, but then how much work am I allowed to do?

Pringle.

i would go to penang and get a 3 month tourist visa. i have b een doig it for 4 years.

you cannot be done for writing a book. who will know? just say that you want visit more of thailand as u have only visited the north. thats if you have to say anything at all.

i have been on a tourist visa fr 4 years.

i get paid through an english company. so i am working for england.

though i will be applying for a business visa soon i have been told that legally i am in the right. through loop holes and stff but the thai's don't care they will just bang me up till i get to court only ten cn i show that i am not wrong.

then i on't know if i am right or wrong. my lawyers insist that in my situation i can carry on as a tourist but it don't stop the parranonia.

hopw does this help you?

well i don't know what i take to write a book. surely you can just rent a huse somewhere and turn it into and self office.

i dunno if you employ people to work for you.

you would be better moving to the south ofthaialdn near the malaysian border and ack and forawrd to penanag

I'm also a writer, a screenwriter taking time off to write a book!

I started out in Cambodia but moved to Thailand because I was drinking more than writing. (It's surprising how many writers you meet in bars who are working on the defining SE Asian novel - or at least researching it).

I have an agent in the UK and a company. I'm here on a non-immigrant business visa, the basis of the visa is a simple letter from my company stating that the company requires me to be in Thailand. The company is a holding company I use from time to time. I am the sole shareholder, sole director, it has no assets and no employees. I've just renewed my visa for a second year. All very simple and painless. My taxes (and NI) are paid in the UK.

If you've saved money to give yourself time to write a book, you've already paid tax on the original earnings. There is absolutely no reason to pay tax again on the money. The tax man in England wouldn't expect that and in a country where they find it hard to collect taxes from people earning a normal salary I don't think the Thai taxman would be interested.

Embassies are not normally the best place to obtain multi entry visas. Believe if I were going to Oz I would visit on of the smaller Consulates that are often mentioned here.

I have a home in Phuket and a business in Jakarta.

I got a Multi Non Imm O Visa in Jakarta last week and they were no problem. It took 3 days to process it. I do have a Thai wife and a Marriage Certificate which was the basis of my application.

Dick

Embassies are not normally the best place to obtain multi entry visas. Believe if I were going to Oz I would visit on of the smaller Consulates that are often mentioned here.

I have a home in Phuket and a business in Jakarta.

I got a Multi Non Imm O Visa in Jakarta last week and they were no problem. It took 3 days to process it. I do have a Thai wife and a Marriage Certificate which was the basis of my application.

Dick

The person I provided that advise to does not have a marriage, home, or business.

And you have a connection to Jakarta that most people would not have. I am not saying an Embassy can or will not issue - but most people have better luck with smaller Consulates where visas are viewed as a business rather than as an added bureaucratic task.

There is an old saying, it never rains but pours ... my arthritis in my foot was not responding to the pills, so I used my free afternoon down at the local Thai hospital. Very fast and efficient too - half an hour to see a doctor, 10 minutes for an xray. The result amused both myself and the female doctor - I don't have any hint of arthritis in my foot. It's broken :o

Now considering I live a very boring life without alcohol, adventure sports or anything resembling dangerous, I have no idea whatsoever how I came to break my foot.

The good news is I spoke with a well know visa office in Bangkok today, and they suggested a good approach to this: I have to go to their office over the next few days to get the paperwork done. The solution is very much like Turnip's case, a non-B visa ... it leaves the door open for me to go back and do further work with the old company, should that opportunity arise.

Problem solved, maybe. I'm off to bed with a Tramadol.

Pringle

I'm a little bit in the same situation like you. I write computer programs not books.

For me (as an < 50 years person) there is no other solution then a tourist visa, border runs and once a year a trip home.

Hi llothar,

Are you sure ? And what about NON-B Visa ?

See the Sunbelt solution here : http://www.lawyer.th.com/QR-one-year-visa-thailand.asp

Pattaya46