Border control gets hi-tech boost from Canada-funded initiative

webfact

Border control gets hi-tech boost from Canada-funded initiative

By The Nation

passport_1010.jpg

FILE photo

To ensure the safety of vulnerable migrant workers, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) last week gave the Royal Thai Police Cadet Academy an online learning portal to assist training in detecting fraudulent travel documents, people smuggling and transnational crime.

The portal was developed to complement training materials jointly developed by IOM and the academy that cover 16 of the 28 modules in the Bali Process Curriculum on Standardised Induction Training for Frontline Border Officials.

“Irregular migration induced by smugglers and traffickers undermines the security of states and puts migrants in vulnerable situations,” said IOM Thailand chief of mission Dana Graber Ladek. 

“Cadets who go on to become police officers will be well placed to intercept and intervene to ensure the safety and protection of vulnerable migrants.”

The portal’s handover on November 21 also marked completion of the third phase of a Canadian-funded IOM project “Strengthening Border Management and Intelligence Capacity of Thai Government Officials”. 

The project has trained 613 officers since August 2016, as well as 57 teachers from the police force, its constituent bodies and other government agencies. 

The training covered detection of fraudulent travel documents, cyber-security, information management, inter-agency cooperation and victim identification and assistance.

Fifty-five immigration officials and police officers from Cambodia, Malaysia and Myanmar were also coached on international policing and cooperation in sessions conducted jointly with the Thai Immigration Bureau. 

The project also addressed border management with the introduction of five Verifier Travel Document and Bearer (TD&B) workstations at Thai border checkpoints. 

Developed by IOM, the Verifier TD&B is an automated, standalone system designed to help border officers conduct secondary inspections quickly and efficiently.

Eight workstations are now in operation at key border checkpoints across Thailand, including at Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket airports, Nong Khai, Sadao in Songkhla and Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaew.

Since the TD&B system was introduced in Thailand in 2014, 215 fraudulent passports and 154 imposters have been identified.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30359247

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-26

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Eight workstations are now in operation at key border checkpoints across Thailand, including at Suvarnabhumi, Don Mueang, Chiang Mai and Phuket airports, Nong Khai, Sadao in Songkhla and Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaew.

Had me worried. Still OK at Chong Chom and Chom Sg Ngam Crossings.????

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Canada likes taxing it's citizens to death so the government can give all that money away to other countries. 

Damn right!

Not only that we have to live there 40 years from the age of 18 in order to get a pittance of a pension that hardly even covers the electric bills in winter time.

Canada should clean its own house before doing anything else for others. I heard that we have our own migrant crisis but that it is never in the news...

Coming from an angry Canadian... BS country

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Canada likes taxing it's citizens to death so the government can give all that money away to other countries. 

I doubt this system will have any impact on "protecting vulnerable migrant workers" but who knows, maybe they'll catch the odd criminal travelling on forged/stolen documents. Then again maybe not as those people probably won't be the ones getting checked as closely as the "migrant workers".

Since the TD&B system was introduced in Thailand in 2014, 215 fraudulent passports and 154 imposters have been identified.

16 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Damn right!

Not only that we have to live there 40 years from the age of 18 in order to get a pittance of a pension that hardly even covers the electric bills in winter time.

Canada should clean its own house before doing anything else for others. I heard that we have our own migrant crisis but that it is never in the news...

As a citizen of a free country you were able to vote, speak out, protest and leave. Options that are not available to many millions of people elsewhere.

6 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

As a citizen of a free country you were able to vote, speak out, protest and leave. Options that are not available to many millions of people elsewhere.

Doing my best to figure out your post here. Left with one question, what does your post have to do with anything I said?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

Damn right!

Half the Canadians I speak to have never heard of Roxham Rd. which is wide open to anyone who can make their way across the ditch to claim asylum form NY state.As a bonus the RCMP will help you with your bags. watch this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9BbbK0YJiE

Welcome to the country of unlimited benefits for life.Unqualified Muslims most welcome.This is not the Canada I grew up in!

Heres another UN mandated initiative that Trudeau will be signing on Dec 10-11 so hang on to your hats when this kicks in.

https://refugeesmigrants.un.org/migration-compact

The MSM in Canada does not inform anyone about this coming forward.  

Edited by jaideedave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Welcome to the country of unlimited benefits for life

Yeah! And when I go back cos I can no longer meet the requirements for the visa I will have to beg on street corners while maybe getting some hand outs from the immigrants who are getting my rightful due as a Canadian.

Maybe we should change our country's name to 'Little Sweden'... but on the other hand, a guy I know who has not lived in his native Sweden for over 20 years will still be entitled to an old age pension of at least 30 000bht a month (to be indexed by then) whereas I will be getting nothing cos I don't meet my amazing Canada's minimum requirements.

So back to the topic at hand, maybe Thailand should stay away from Canadian help, hand-outs, and technology cos it seems to me it might be a Trojan Horse.

Edited by LazySlipper