Do I need an original letter from the spouse to apply for non-O marriage visa?

I plan to make a non-immigrant visa type "O" based on marriage in the Thai embassy in Laos. On their website, I found a list of documents which includes:

- A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to visit Thailand.

Is an original handwritten letter is necessary or a scanned copy will be enough? If you have any experience to submit documents for non-O marriage visa in Laos, please, share.

Btw, I haven't found the spouse letter in the requirement for the same type of visa in Malaysia.

Instead, they require a bank statement for the name of the spouse from a Thai bank account with recommended 400,000 baht. Why such a difference?

Edited by Andrew23

You do not need to supply a letter from your wife OR any financial statements if applying in Laos. If you do want to give a letter I am sure they'd accept an original or copy.

You can get a Single Entry Non 'O' from either the Embassy consular section in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet. You can only get a Multiple Entry Non 'O' from the consulate in Savannakhet.

The requirements can vary at the different embassies/consulates around the world so there is no point comparing. And their websites are not always up to date or accurate.

When applying in Laos you need the original and copy of your marriage certificate; and copies of your wifes ID and Tabian Baan (house registration book).

No letter required in either savannaket or vientianne but if you can get one I would take one anyway in case.

I think that requirement will likely be enforced sometime soon.

It is required in HoChiMinh which also does the visa without financials.

The letter would need to be hand written in thai.

3 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Is the above talking about 1 year extension or getting a multi entry visa for visiting wife?

12 hours ago, Andrew23 said:

I plan to make a non-immigrant visa type "O" based on marriage in the Thai embassy in Laos.

1 minute ago, Danthai said:

Is the above talking about 1 year extension or getting a multi entry visa for visiting wife?

his first sentence says a non o visa, that could be single or multi, same requirements.

obviously not talking about the extension as he's talking about doing it in laos

On 11/28/2018 at 2:53 AM, Andrew23 said:

A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to visit Thailand.

my 2-cents:
seems a strange requirement, such letter should at least be notarized to have any meaning at all.

Upon request, the local Amphoe does issue a confirmation that the marriage is still registered what is accepted by the Immigration office in the area where I am registered.

14 hours ago, KKr said:

my 2-cents:
seems a strange requirement, such letter should at least be notarized to have any meaning at all.

Upon request, the local Amphoe does issue a confirmation that the marriage is still registered what is accepted by the Immigration office in the area where I am registered.

not all people who use those visas have registered or need to register their marriages in thailand

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...