LINE app on a Desktop

howto

I choose this forum instead of 'phones'.

Purchased a new phone ,,,
- copied contacts, pic's, vids to microSD.
- only have 5 apps, 4 now installed on new phone.
That leaves LINE app to move.
Installed LINE on my desktop.
LINE ver is the same on both devices.
On the phone, 17 contacts, each with lots of text posts.
On the DT, only 4 contacts, each w/ only 5~6 text posts.

Is this normal?
I fear loosing that info.
Suggestions / advice welcome.

My experience when I bought a back up phone and wanted line on it. I use line for looking at pictures around the world (armchair travel because I enjoy art and photography. I have it on my phone and desktop, but line uses the same account on desktop. It won't let you open two separate on two phones accounts for some reason. Only one account on phone and same account used on desktop. Its a great program. In my days we only had travel and photography books.

Never could understand the logic or lack thereof from the company that runs LINE.  They absolutely refuse to allow more than one account per device, be it phone, tablet, etc. Unfortunately LINE for PC can only use those accounts, that it reads via the QR code

Due this restriction I have never checked whether or not the QR code that unlocks the PC version opens ONLY  the account located on the device that was used to unlock it 

When getting a new smart phone LINE will let you transfer all you contacts over but not the conversations and I think that you can manually transfer over the contacts to a second device via a wired  or cloud connection 

If I understand this question correctly, this is my experience with LINE on phones, tablets, and PC:

I have 2 different phones with LINE app and different username on each phone.  The user on a phone can only be on one phone because the username is tied to the mobile number.  I have been able to transfer this to a different phone in the past when buying a new phone, but it has been a while. Once you transferred, it would only work on one phone, and there was a message that LINE was being terminated on the previous phone.

On my PC's (not tablets) I can open any LINE that is already registered on a mobile phone.  Only one user at a time on the PC.

Tablets are viewed as a mobile phone unit, therefor opening LINE on a tablet only allows one username.

I just opened both of my LINE usernames on this PC (one at a time) so it does still work for me as far as logging in on a PC.

I don't understand much of what is written above but I have Line on my phone and my desktop and they can both see the same things, in fact, when I log in via my desk top version my phone gets a message telling that's happened and occasionally asking me to verify and authenticate the session. As for QR codes.....I've never used them.

12 hours ago, howto said:

Is this normal?

I'm not a Line fan but put up with it to keep in touch. You don't say what o/s? I have tried Line from WIn10 store and found it very flaky - much like I find the whole product range. Then installed the Windows install version 5.11.3.1835 (https://www.linepc.me/download-line-pc-for-windows) and it syncs as you might expect all contacts, messages you have on other device like phone. I keep the app default off, unless I really have to use it. Hate it.

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

Never could understand the logic or lack thereof from the company that runs LINE.  They absolutely refuse to allow more than one account per device, be it phone, tablet, etc. Unfortunately LINE for PC can only use those accounts, that it reads via the QR code

Due this restriction I have never checked whether or not the QR code that unlocks the PC version opens ONLY  the account located on the device that was used to unlock it 

When getting a new smart phone LINE will let you transfer all you contacts over but not the conversations and I think that you can manually transfer over the contacts to a second device via a wired  or cloud connection 

If you want a 2nd LINE account just get a 2nd mobile phone number. You only need that number to setup the account. I think you can buy a new SIM for 100B or something like that.

With the same account LINE should show the same contacts.

But I think what LINE does is that it does not show all the history of all contacts.

If you had i.e. 2 contacts on your phone, one with recent activity and one with messages 6 months old. Then when you setup LINE on the desktop you will see both contacts. But you will see only the messages from the contact with recent activity.

At least this is what I remember from setting this up.

switching from phones should in theory delete all the conversations but keep the contacts.

I lost all my contacts from changing phone numbers from PH phone to TH (because I couldn't confirm the PH phone anymore) so that happens

if you REALLY want to make sure you have all your contacts

you could always get a second phone number as someone else said before.

then you make an account with the 2nd #, friend yourself and share all your contacts with the 2nd account

once everything is transferred you can share your contacts back to yourself from the 2nd account.

this is obviously an annoying workaround but it works.

Archived