Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

In the early 80s I stayed at a gite in Normandy. It was market weekend and on the Sunday morning I heard a commotion from a long shed and wandered over to have a look. There was a long overhead conveyor track and at one end an old woman was hanging on ducks, they had strangled themselves by the time they got to the other end where another old woman took them off and threw them into large baskets. I am fairly certain the ducks prefer to go to the market under EU regulation.

Animal cruelty, as any other cruelty, is a mentality issue and nothing whatsoever to do with "the people", supermarkets or cheaper food.

Animal cruelty, as any other cruelty, is a mentality issue and nothing whatsoever to do with "the people", supermarkets or cheaper food.

"The fact is we are paying the cost of bad and cheap food in other ways. We are destroying ecosystems, becoming ill, abusing animals. If we are to get our ethics and value systems back where they belong then we have to stop expecting food to be cheap."

https://www.foodnavigator.com/Article/2017/08/29/Cheap-food-has-expensive-consequences-but-how-can-we-make-better-food

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, nauseus said:

From the day of the result, only a few remainers have respected the referendum vote, or the people who voted out. What wears thin on the other side, is patience.    

How do you “respect” a referendum vote? 

How do you “respect” a manipulated referendum vote?

Are the people in North-Korea also expected to “respect” the election results there?

Did you “respect” the 1975 referendum or did you call for another one?

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

1. By acknowledging it and not constantly trying by any all means to turn it over.

2. By recognising that there was "manipulation" from both sides. 

3. NK is not the UK, yet, at least. No idea.

4. I did respect the 1975 referendum at the time and for many years but I changed my mind after Heath admitted his deceit and the questions of legality came up too. No, I did not call for another one.

I'll acknowledge it, but I won't respect it 

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I think that acknowledgement is a form of respect, TB.

We know you don't like the result. That's OK.

I don't respect it because it was poorly designed  and badly executed. It was all things to all men.

16 minutes ago, nauseus said:

1. By acknowledging it and not constantly trying by any all means to turn it over.

The referendum result is a fact; everyone acknowledges that. It cannot be “turned over”, because that would require traveling back in time. 

What you mean by using the word “respect” actually is to shut up, stop

thinking, and do nothing. That, however, is not “respect” but simply surrender. 

2. By recognising that there was "manipulation" from both sides. 

Even worse then. If not half of them

were cheating, but all of them, makes the whole vote even less legitimate and democratic. 

3. UK is not NK, yet, at least. No idea. No comparison.

By asking people to shut up and swallow a manipulated vote, you’re doing exactly the same people in countries like North Korea are facing their whole life. 

4. I did respect the 1975 referendum at the time and for many years but I changed my mind after Heath admitted his deceit and the questions of legality came up too. No, I did not call for another one.

Same as Brexiteers called for a referendum or to leave the EU, remainers are also calling for a referendum or to stay in the EU. That’s how democracy works; everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one needs to fear someone trying to silence him. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Good old highly educated ignorant Grouse. Never misses the chance to insult his "social inferiors".

And many of the Remainers say that the Brexiteers are always tossing insults.

I guess Brexiters don't do humour. "The vegetables voted for Brexit" was a bon mot; a quip

BTW, you will note that I don't "do" ad hominem insults. I don't feel I need to do so

I do find vegetables to be socially inferior to me; especially sprouts!

Finally, you may accuse me of many things but "ignorant" just doesn't really fit, now does it? Are you misusing the word? A common error.

Ignorant

1) Lacking knowledge.

2) Slang: Insult used to describe another party as stupid and/or prejudiced. Often used incorrectly as the most ignorant parties in a debate tend to call others ignorant to make up for their own lack of information or prejudices.

If you wish to insult me, do me the courtesy of trying a little harder! 

Now, enough bickering. Matter closed.

Edited by Grouse

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

Typical comments from a remoaner.
Must be a lot of GRASS in yorkshireemoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry to disappoint you Malagateddy, but He’s not a real Yorkshireman. In fact he comes over as anti Yorkshire. The bad news for you,is that’s he considers himself Scottish, due to his fathers place of birth.

86FA0D8A-34BC-4C7E-A939-34495F6ACF3C.jpeg

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I often wonder where Grouse came from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flower_Pot_Men

The Flower Pot Men was the story of Bill and Ben, two little men made of flower pots who lived at the bottom of an English suburban garden. The characters were devised by Hilda Brabban. She wrote three original stories of the three characters (Bill, Ben and Little Weed) which she sold to the BBC for one guinea each. The stories were originally broadcast on the radio programme Listen with Mother in 1951.[3]

Flobadob 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Sorry to disappoint you Malagateddy, but He’s not a real Yorkshireman. In fact he comes over as anti Yorkshire. The bad news for you,is that’s he considers himself Scottish, due to his fathers place of birth.

86FA0D8A-34BC-4C7E-A939-34495F6ACF3C.jpeg

I was born in Middlesbrough when it was in Yorkshire. I am in no way anti-Yorkshire.