Thaksin To Face Party Dissolution Trial Via Teleconferencing

george

Thaksin to face party dissolution trial via teleconferencing

BANGKOK: -- Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will testify at his Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT) trial via teleconferencing because his safety is not guaranteed if he returns to Thailand from abroad, a senior member of the party said Sunday.

Acting TRT committee member Vichit Plangsrisakul, said the former premier will testify electronically on charges against the party he founded because the Council for National Security would not guarantee for safety if he returns to Thailand to testify in person.

Opinions have been sought by the party from Mr. Thaksin which could be sent to the Constitution Tribunal and the Attorney General Office by Friday (February 23), he said.

Thai Rak Thai Party along with the Democrat Party and three other political parties are facing charges of hiring smaller parties to contest a general election held early last year. The election was later declared null and void due to irregularities.

If found guilty, the parties could be dissolved and their executives will be barred from politics for five years.

--TNA 2007-02-18

His safety is not guaranteed... :o

His wife and children and family are here, what remains of his party are here, all the ones who quit the party are still here, they don't seem to fear for their safety do they? Hasn't changed a bit has he? Same as when he ran up north and ran government by teleconference or refused to visit Southern provinces.

One word.

COWARD

Unless he means he's afraid about landing at Suwarnabhumi airport? :D

Perhaps he worries that the Customs will impound his Good-Question/Bad-Question signs, leaving him defenceless, when asked questions he can't/won't answer ? :o

Or is he afraid of the police/blackshirts and the Forestry-Department workers, now that he hasn't paid them for their 'support', for several months ?

Or, God Forbid, some weak little old lady or child might shout at him, 'Thaksin Get Out !' ?? :D

The trials & tribulations, of a former acting-PM of a caretaker-government, ho hum. :D

I am very curious how this will all pan out. Well some things I already know like Thaksin will not say anything truthful, avoiding direct questions and so on. I wonder if they will send some Thai officials to be with Thaksin when he testifies. Perhaps as a pacifier for Thaksin the will have a stock ticker running across the bottom of his monotor. :o

I would not be so sure, one of his best talents was/is pissing off people. The PAD rallies were quite large as I recall. Coming back some could read as arrogance and push them over the edge, others have discovered after the coup just how much money he took out of their pockets. I think he would need to be under house arrest with no freedom of movement to be protected.