'State of insurrection' as fuel tax riots engulf central Paris

rooster59

'State of insurrection' as fuel tax riots engulf central Paris

By Leigh Thomas and Emmanuel Jarry

800x800 (3).jpg

Protesters wearing yellow vests, a symbol of a French drivers' protest against higher diesel taxes, walk among tear gas during clashes with French riot police at the Place de l'Etoile near the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France, December 1, 2018. REUTERS/Stephane Mahe

PARIS (Reuters) - Rioters ran amok across central Paris on Saturday, torching cars and buildings, looting shops, smashing windows and clashing with police in the worst unrest in more than a decade, posing a dire challenge to Emmanuel Macron's presidency.

The authorities were caught off guard by the escalation in violence after two weeks of nationwide protests against fuel taxes and living costs, known as the "yellow vest" movement after fluorescent jackets kept in all vehicles in France.

In Paris, police said they had arrested almost 300 people while 110 were injured, including 20 members of the security forces. Police fired stun grenades, tear gas and water cannon at protesters at the top of the Champs-Elysees boulevard, at the Tuilleries Garden near the Louvre museum and other sites.

In some areas there was virtually no police presence at all, as groups of masked men roamed in the shadows of the capital's fabled landmarks and through its fanciest shopping districts, smashing the windows of designer boutiques.

Macron, in Argentina for a G20 summit, said he would convene ministers to discuss the crisis upon his return on Sunday. Prime Minister Edouard Philippe cancelled a trip to Poland.

"We are in a state of insurrection, I've never seen anything like it," said Jeanne d'Hauteserre, the mayor of Paris' 8th district, near the Arc de Triomphe.

The popular rebellion erupted out of nowhere on Nov. 17 and has spread quickly via social media, with protesters blocking roads across France and impeding access to shopping malls, factories and some fuel depots.

On Saturday, some targeted the Arc de Triomphe, chanting "Macron Resign" and scrawling on the facade of the towering 19th-century arch: "The yellow vests will triumph."

Addressing a news conference in Buenos Aires, Macron said no cause justified the looting of stores, attacks on the security forces or torching of property. The violence, he said, had nothing to do with the peaceful expression of legitimate grievances.

"I will always respect differences. I will always listen to opposition, but I will never accept violence," Macron said.

Protesters smashed the windows of a newly opened flagship Apple Store <AAPL.O> and luxury boutiques of Chanel and Dior, where they daubed the slogan "Merry Mayhem" on a wooden board.

Close to the Place Vendome, Christmas trees decorating the streets were upended, piled in the middle of an avenue and set ablaze, prompting chanting from scores of protesters.

Order appeared to have been restored late in the evening, although small groups were still at odds with police near the Champs Elysees.

Authorities said violent far-right and far-left groups had infiltrated the yellow vests movement. Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said most of those arrested were regular protesters who had been egged on by the fringe groups.

The protests began as a backlash against Macron's fuel tax hikes, but have tapped into a vein of deep dissatisfaction felt towards the 40-year-old's economic reforms, which many voters feel favour the wealthy and big business.

Unrest erupted in several towns and cities across France, from Charleville Mezieres in the northeast to Marseille in the south. In the Riviera city of Nice trucks blocked access to the airport, and in the central town of Puy-en-Velay the police headquarters was set on fire.

The protests are taking a toll on the economy. Parts of central Paris that should have been packed with tourists and Christmas shoppers resembled battle zones, as smoke and tear gas hung in the air and debris littered the ground.

Hotels and department stores in the capital stand to lose millions, and shelves have run empty in some supermarkets.

MACRON STANDS FIRM

The protests have caught Macron off-guard just as he was trying to counter a fall in his popularity rating to 20 percent. His unyielding response has exposed him to charges of being out of touch with ordinary people, particularly in rural villages and the provincial hinterlands.

Some peaceful protesters held up a slogan reading, "Macron, stop treating us like idiots!"

Macron on Tuesday said he understood the anger of voters outside France's big cities over the squeeze fuel prices have put on households. But he insisted he would not be bounced into changing policy by "thugs".

Despite the unrest that has accompanied the protests, the "yellow vests" have widespread public support, even in cities.

"I am totally behind the 'Gilets Jaunes'," said George DuPont, a resident in Paris' upscale 16th arrondissement. "The state has stolen money from the French people. It's time to give it back."

Assistant teacher Sandrine Lemoussu, 45, who travelled from Burgundy to protest peacefully, said people were fed up with Macron.

"The people are in revolt," she said. "The anger is rising more and more, and the president despises the French. We aren't here to smash things, but the people have had enough."

Many on the outskirts of smaller provincial towns and villages have expressed anger, underlining the gap between metropolitan elites and working class voters that has boosted anti-establishment politics across the Western world.

"Mr Macron wrote a book called Revolution. He was prophetic because it is what he has managed to launch, but not the revolution he sought," Far-left La France Insoumise leader Jean-Luc Melenchon told reporters ahead of a protest in Marseille.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-02

The lack of national pride is the root of all this violent behavior. The French population who - going back only 50 years - were strongly nationalistic has been diluted to such an extent that the pervasive attitude is what can the state give me. There is no concept of citizens acting in the countries interest. And why should they? The French people are nowadays a mix of various ideologies and ethnicities to such an extent that there no longer is such a thing as French people. Macron himself even recently stated " there is no such thing as French culture". In such a situation a selfish attitude will be the norm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Chippy151 said:

If the Brits can afford to sit in a pub, why are so many pubs closing down? 18 every week. I expect that number to increase come next year.

If the Francos keep burning down Paris, I expect it to go to Greece and Italy. Sorry it seems there is nothing much to burn down there anymore. 

But it is you that said that the Brits are sitting in pubs. Get your act together. Make a decent debate

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Or you can burn your country down. Overturn someones car and set it on fire. Attack your own police. Burn and destroy national monuments. Create mayhem and deny people to go to work. 

Mayhem and anarchy is the way of France, Italy and Greece. And what has it got them. Massive debt and creating poverty. At least the Brits can afford to sit in a pub.

Wait till the Brexit deal or no-deal kicks in. We'll see then how like the French, the Greeks and the Italians the Brits really are.

Kicking the bin further down the street is the basic policy stance of The People everywhere in the world ...

17 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Let them Burn.

France is a sheethole country now anyway.

Nah, Let them eat Cake. Fruit cake. So many fruit cakes live there they could supply all the food for the starving.

BTW, I was taught sheethouse. It is a sheethouse country and if someone invades they tear up the sheets to make little surrender flags.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, connda said:

Except what happens is that the elites who control the electoral process through their wealth place their chosen out-of-touch candidates in front of the people to vote on - like Macron.  These are rigged systems that guarantee that the status quo is maintained, i.e., plutocrats run the show.  Finally the peasants revolt.  Nothing new here, especially in France.  In fact, I consider France to be the canary in the coal mine when it comes to people finally being fed up with ruling elites and their "let them eat flour" dictates. 
It also is an indicator of how well imposing global carbon taxes on the populace is going to go over with the average citizens who are already being squeezed to the breaking point financially as the wealthy get richer by feeding off the citizens while their chosen, like Macron, tax them to death.  "Let them drive donkey carts, but donkeys fart so we'll tax them too.  So, let the little people walk."  Ain't going over too well, is it?
Via la France.

No, if a population wishes to participate in the electoral system thay can organise and vote. Anarchy has always been a part of the French psyche for more than a century. It is something to do with the Latin and Greek losers, that promote this nonsense.

I am not sure how you link these losers with global warming and some tax not yet implemented..

By the way it is supposed to be "Viva" not via, two different meanings altogether.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cooked said:

I lived in neighbouring Switzerland for 40 years. Really boring place, if a law or regulation needs changing, you get enough signatures together and you get a plebiscite/referendum two years later.

And change it.

It's called a democracy. The EU don't like this and are trying to get the Swiss to accept more and more EU regulations, laws and courts. 

I had a lot of contact with France and I saw frequently that the only way the French could get elitist agenda changed was by rioting, civil disorder. 

What you see is the heart and soul of what the EU is about: arrogant elitists complaining about stupid smelly populists cluttering up the process of government. Populists complaining about symptoms of this fashion of government without realising that voting for what the elitists call the fascist right when it suits them is the only way of demolishing this EU deep state. 

The grammar lesson is really out of place, are you sure you aren't my ex-wife in disguise?

Nonsense.

What you see is the result of the French living above their means for a long time. Somebody is finally trying to get them more realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Sure, blame this on immigration.

Nobody has blamed this on immigration per se.  The blame lies squarely on the breakdown of society, of which unchecked immigration with no integration has been a major attributing factor. You could ask yourself, why are these riot always happening in heavily diverse inner city areas? Do the high fuel prices not affect farmers and local villagers carrying on with traditional life? Could we even say that most of these rioters in Paris do not own a motor vehicle? If fuel price hikes were the real reason for the mayhem you would be seeing similar scenes in all small rural villages where the locals are more heavily reliant on fossil fuels. It's not happening. 

The mass burning of cars in Paris is not a new phenomenon. It did not start this week with the yellow jackets. It is thuggery, pure and simple. That authorities were too scared to deal with the car burners in years gone past is another attributing factor to the impending anarchy the French capital finds itself hurtling towards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Nonsense.

What you see is the result of the French living above their means for a long time. Somebody is finally trying to get them more realistic.

The French. Right. Do you actually read financial news, do you know about the huge debts that most Western countries are in. Crash, not a Mickey Mouse one like the last one, but an honest to Jehovah smack down crash is coming.

Macron has, without consulting the 'populists' decided on a huge rise in fuel costs, as if this were about anything else but kowtowing to the globalist propaganda that we can actually DO something about global warming. He seems surprised in his own jupiterean fashion, that people have reacted like this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sure, blame this on immigration.
The shame is that immigration from countrys where there is little law as the west knows it,is slowly destroying what we built up over many hundreds of years.
Problem is that those in charge and the left wing are to afraid to do anything about it.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sure. The French built it up with help of Morocco, Algeria and others in that area. So no surprise the people who have been exploited want to live in the build up country.

"We built up over many hundreds of years." Get real.
Actually,it is you and those who make excuses need to get real,but i fear that will never happen

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, cooked said:

The French. Right. Do you actually read financial news, do you know about the huge debts that most Western countries are in. Crash, not a Mickey Mouse one like the last one, but an honest to Jehovah smack down crash is coming.

Macron has, without consulting the 'populists' decided on a huge rise in fuel costs, as if this were about anything else but kowtowing to the globalist propaganda that we can actually DO something about global warming. He seems surprised in his own jupiterean fashion, that people have reacted like this.

You're blaming the EU Deep State, that same EU is limiting the maximum allowable deficit. And at the same time you're complaining about the debts.

Confused a little?

7 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Or you can burn your country down. Overturn someones car and set it on fire. Attack your own police. Burn and destroy national monuments. Create mayhem and deny people to go to work. 

Mayhem and anarchy is the way of France, Italy and Greece. And what has it got them. Massive debt and creating poverty. At least the Brits can afford to sit in a pub.

They should call in the army and restore order by as much force as necessary 

Any non national who is involved in the violence and destruction of property should be deported

• Like 2