Several Bombs Rocks Southern Thailand

george

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PM discussed southern unrest w/ CNS chairman and met Privy Council chairman

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont had a discussion on the unrest in the four southern border provinces with the Council for National Security (CNS) chairman and Internal Security Operation Command chief, Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

Following the discussion with Gen. Sonthi, the Prime Minister met with Privy Council chairman Prem Tinsulanonda at Si Sao Thewet residence. The meeting with Gen. Prem took about 45 minutes, but Gen. Surayud did not give interviews with the media after the meeting.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 Febuary 2007

Thailand warns more "terrorist" attacks possible

Thailand's army chief of staff warned Monday Islamic separatists could stage more "terrorist" attacks, especially during upcoming Buddhist holidays, after nine people died in overnight raids.

"The violence may increase, and it will be the same kind of terrorist tactics," General Montri Sangkasap told reporters after an emergency security meeting in Bangkok.

Thailand's junta chief, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, and Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont summoned military and security chiefs over the attacks that killed nine and wounded 44 as many Thais began celebrating the Lunar New Year late Sunday.

The insurgents staged some 49 bombings, shootings and arson attacks late Sunday and early Monday, targeting mainly homes and businesses owned by Buddhists or ethnic Chinese, officials said.

Montri said officials believed the attacks were linked to the holiday observed by many ethnic Chinese in Thailand.

"The violence happened because it was a holiday period when there were many people celebrating. We have to be careful during the next religious festivals," especially during important Buddhist celebrations in March and April, Montri said.

Source: The Nation - 19 February 2007

To my knowledge LOS was the only country in Asia that managed to resolved the communist insurgency problem with a relatively limited amount of bloodshedding (compared to neighboring countries). Granted there was a lot of external assistance in terms of money, intelligenge, weapons, training etc. One would have though that some lessons were learned, particularly given the background of the current government.

But perhaps not :o

This one will be hard to fix. With 3 nuclear powers devoting infinite resources to demonizing Muslims in the eyes of the world,it is no coincidence that the problems in the south of Thailiand reoccurred shortly after the invasion of Iraq. There are at least 3 highly funded intelligence agencies whose day jobs are in fact to keep the image of the bad Muslim on the world stage on a daily basis. These guys pull no triggers and are never seen by those who do but they are pros and will only stop once a new enemy is announced.

Mosques were burned? :o What do these people want exactly? Killing Muslims as well as Buddhists while also burning their own mosques...

Do you think it could be that Israel is behind this as they would like to take over Southern Thailand? This way Israel will get a cheap source of Rain water for the desert.

Cheap remark Henry B! Why don't you give your opinion!

Who's behind it? What do they want?

No one knows, do we?

My feeling is that you known nothing about international affairs the only thing you known about is balloons in front of bars. Wake up I am smart and rich and known everything. Just ask my wife.

That hurts Henry B! Under the belt, this one!

I am very happy for your wife, she must love you to death!

Gotta read between the lines with HenryB.

What he is screaming out to the world is that he is a loner, was bullied at school, dumped by his missus and has a small, is not amputated willy! You really don't need to get after him as it makes him feel better.

OT. My feelings are that the population of the south must support them, so they should be left to go their merry way, killing, amputating and banning fun to their hearts content. Once they have a visible goverment, they would behave as they would be easily targetted.

Thailand being the Land of Smiles as we know it, really doesn't need to drag the country down by trying to keep this wretched bunch in tow. Face it, these bombs must involve hundreds of perpetrators, why has nobody defected yet? It doesn't even look like part of Thailand on the map! It just looks like a sliver of Malaysia that got lost.

I think they need to draw a line somewhere. Anyone who wants the insurgency for a government stand on southern side. The rest, stand on the northern side of the line. Then cut off the southern half from all aid with Thailand. Take their ID cards and passports.

I bet they would start dropping dimes then about who is causing all the problems.

Being cut loose from Thailand is exactly what these insurgents want though. Why surrender like that?

At first I did not even want to open this thread as I knew it would only upset me. I just as soon forget it but this is a cancer fed by fanaticism. I made a post on another thread a long time ago that I suggested give them a piece of land, put a fence around it and give them lots of weapons that kill a lot of people fast. Then in about a year come back and take the vacant land. Meaning let the cancer consume itself. Nature does have a way of fixing things.

These people are literally acting like animals and I am very seriously beginning to wonder if this is some sort of subspecies of human that is incapable of cognitive reason or other traits we recognize as human. Perhaps we are at a branch in our evolution.

I think they need to draw a line somewhere. Anyone who wants the insurgency for a government stand on southern side. The rest, stand on the northern side of the line. Then cut off the southern half from all aid with Thailand. Take their ID cards and passports.

I bet they would start dropping dimes then about who is causing all the problems.

Being cut loose from Thailand is exactly what these insurgents want though. Why surrender like that?

At first I did not even want to open this thread as I knew it would only upset me. I just as soon forget it but this is a cancer fed by fanaticism. I made a post on another thread a long time ago that I suggested give them a piece of land, put a fence around it and give them lots of weapons that kill a lot of people fast. Then in about a year come back and take the vacant land. Meaning let the cancer consume itself. Nature does have a way of fixing things.

It looks as if the demonization process has been complete success. At least in your case.

These people are literally acting like animals and I am very seriously beginning to wonder if this is some sort of subspecies of human that is incapable of cognitive reason or other traits we recognize as human. Perhaps we are at a branch in our evolution.

Pacboong

I don’t mind you quoting me but please separate your comments from mine, I don’t want people to get confused as to who said what.

It looks as if the demonization process has been complete success. At least in your case” Is your comment not mine.

Do we really need such blatant racism here?

Reading your suggestion for solving the problems in the South, I fear that we might well be.

Edited by blaze

To my knowledge LOS was the only country in Asia that managed to resolved the communist insurgency problem with a relatively limited amount of bloodshedding (compared to neighboring countries). Granted there was a lot of external assistance in terms of money, intelligenge, weapons, training etc. One would have though that some lessons were learned, particularly given the background of the current government.

Not so sure about this.After the CPT was neutralised the Thais did a good job in terms of reconciliation.However the fight against the communists was generally lamentably inefficient, marked by brutality and a profound ignorance of the underlying causes.ISOC, now with a new lease of life, was a particularly deplorable and unaccountable player.No, the Thais had a stroke of luck when for realpolitik reasons,prompted by the rapprochement which began after Kukrit's China visit, Beijing pulled the carpet from underneath the CPT depriving it of funding and weaponry.But I agree the follow up was handled well by the Thais.Problem is that there not that many lessons to apply in the case of the South where a very different strategy will be needed.

What race would that be? I don’t recall saying any race. All I am doing is describing the very obvious and voicing a possible reason they act like that. Yes I admit it sounds crude but not nearly as crude as their actions.

What race would that be? I don’t recall saying any race. All I am doing is describing the very obvious and voicing a possible reason they act like that. Yes I admit it sounds crude but not nearly as crude as their actions.

The race you mentioned is of "some sort of subspecies of human" which is "at a branch in our evolution". Which is definately one of the more disgusting comments i have read on this topic, even narrowly beating the poster advocating to "Kill them all.. do it Yugoslavia style".

Basically, i am not going to waste my time here again into going into the details of the history of the situation in that area, there are countless threads of that topic in the archives with far more knowledgable posters than me or especially you trying to explain the reasons behind this conflict.

Basically, there is a war going on, and all wars are ugly. And if you familiarize yourself with the history of that conflict (and other similar conflicts), you will see that your racist confusion will be lifted and you might understand that there is a clear logic behind all that.

surely this can't be the work of the southern insurgents since all those bombs only killed what, 1 person? strangely similar to the bangkok bombings. i think it may be the work of 'people who lost power' na krap.

Yeah, right. Let's blame Thaksin for this one too... :o

The race you mentioned is of "some sort of subspecies of human" which is "at a branch in our evolution". Which is definately one of the more disgusting comments i have read on this topic, even narrowly beating the poster advocating to "Kill them all.. do it Yugoslavia style".

Basically, i am not going to waste my time here again into going into the details of the history of the situation in that area, there are countless threads of that topic in the archives with far more knowledgable posters than me or especially you trying to explain the reasons behind this conflict.

Basically, there is a war going on, and all wars are ugly. And if you familiarize yourself with the history of that conflict (and other similar conflicts), you will see that your racist confusion will be lifted and you might understand that there is a clear logic behind all that.

Colpyat,

Please read very carefully, “I am beginning to wonder if”,

meaning wonder: to think about.

Meaning If: uncertainty.

My statement was posed as a question of curiosity and not a statement of fact.

To the best of my knowledge there has been no success in negations on any front inside or outside of Thailand with these people. The olive branch that was extended was greeted with a volley of bombs, hence as I said incapable of cognitive reason and actions of what you may expect from an animal. As far as I know even the lowest scum of the earth can negotiate successfully. All this leads to the question “I wonder if......

Racism? No, and I consider it an insult that you would even suggest that. But if you can come up with a sound reason why they act like animals I would be willing to entertain debate.

Colpyat,

Please read very carefully, “I am beginning to wonder if”,

meaning wonder: to think about.

Meaning If: uncertainty.

My statement was posed as a question of curiosity and not a statement of fact.

To the best of my knowledge there has been no success in negations on any front inside or outside of Thailand with these people. The olive branch that was extended was greeted with a volley of bombs, hence as I said incapable of cognitive reason and actions of what you may expect from an animal. As far as I know even the lowest scum of the earth can negotiate successfully. All this leads to the question “I wonder if......

Racism? No, and I consider it an insult that you would even suggest that. But if you can come up with a sound reason why they act like animals I would be willing to entertain debate.

Because it's a bloody war, and people do act that way in war.

There was no <deleted> olive branch, it was a simple PR act of the government. "Apologising" for Tak Bai without bring the responsible officers to trial is worth nothing. Negotiations in such complex wars are extremely difficult, and often need years to be successful.

If, for example, you would switch on Thai TV, you would see the so called peace advertisements of the government. They give all that nationalist rubbish, including an appeal to all being Thais, speaking the same language. Which is rather ironic, because the language issue is one of the biggest issues in the South, the people in the three Changwats speaking Yawi, and not Thai, because they are ethnic Malays, and not Thais.

Prem has recently refused to consider the use of Yawi as an official language in those three provinces.

That also explains the bombs at schools, the main tool of Bangkok to nationalise the south. The killing of buddist monks are explained by a history of oppression of the original inhabitant's, their religion and their culture. I do not condemn this, but i understand this as a tactic of guerilla warfare against a far superior opponent.

Also, not exactly an olive banch of the government is the recent built up of a new volonteer militia in the three changwats. And we know very well how those semi trained armed mobs tend to aggrevate such wars.

Basically, what stands in between any successful negotiations is Thai nationalism, and a very aggrevated population. This war will be with us for a long time to come. And nobody is a saint there. There never is one. And especially not the Thai establishment.

These sort of wars only tend to stop when all sides are so tired of the killing and brutality that they can get down to the negotiating table without any conditions.

But i refuse to engage in the disgusting debate of "questions of curiosity", which basically translate as "thinking" along the lines of people being some sort of subhumans, as you have so clearly expressed. This is out of order.

And now please start familiarizing yourself with history before further engaging yourself in such disgusting "questions of curiosity".

Decapitating monks, murdering children, burning schools, killing honest workers and school teachers, planting roadside bombs, sending women and children as a barricade, even killing their own who are also Muslims, taking refuge in a mosque for a gunfight, and plenty more cowardly murderous gestures.

Lower than subspecies.

But resolving the communist insurgency was possible because the government of the day struck a deal with China, who had been funding the communist insurgents. There is no single source of funding for the insurgency in the southern border provinces. With no money it would be very difficult to stage such attacks and support all the necessary infrastructure. When your patron abandons you for political reasons, I imagine you would start to question the political ideals of

Many of the "fighters" of the communist insurgency only joined after being forced to because of government crackdowns in the 70s. Not all of them were such strong believers in the cause so when a government amnesty offered them a way out of the predicament, it was a no-brainer for them to return to society. I have my doubts whether the government can make the current fighters in the insurgency in southern Thailand see the light.

Note** Only an Opine, not a statement of fact!!

The new Victory Paradigm for the 21st Century;

Boom!! + 24/7 competitive coverage obsession TIMES Media, TIMES, X Booms!! + Human Tragedy + repetitive fatigue TIMES sensory overload agitation = We must be losing, they must be winning “realities”??

In advance, contritely remorse and biased cynicism acknowledged.

:o baa! Klang wai.gif

Lower than subspecies.

I honestly hope that this thread is closed soon.

I am disusted by these comments.

So am I, especially when one doesn't quote the entire post. :o

Decapitating monks, murdering children, burning schools, killing honest workers and school teachers, planting roadside bombs, sending women and children as a barricade, even killing their own who are also Muslims, taking refuge in a mosque for a gunfight, and plenty more cowardly murderous gestures.

Edited by Tony Clifton

I don't think alot of the comments about subspecies are being made at muslims or islam in particular, but at the kind of people who would do the things that Tony has pointed out.

As with the troubles in Northern Ireland, religion is little more than a background here. The real issue is seperqatists vs the state, and under cover of that alot of personal scores are no doubt being settled that have little or nothing to do with the conflict.

Lower than subspecies.

I honestly hope that this thread is closed soon.

I am disusted by these comments.

So am I, especially when one doesn't quote the entire post. :o

I don't think you get it.

Everything follows logic. Just because you have not spend any brain time on learning the history of the area, and the conflict, and therefore jump to simplistic and faulty conclusions, does not mean that there is no reasonable explanation for what is going on down there.

Basically, stating that people are "Lower than subspecies" is an entirely racist view on humanity. The first step in war is dehumanising your chosen enemy, and therefore you fall into the same fallacy these mostly very young insurgents down south.

You though have even less of an excuse than them, because you have not had to live through decades of government opression.

Classifying terrorists as subhuman is not racist. Notwithstanding their race, religion, language, or nationality, anyone who kills innocents, clergy, attacks schools, and hides behind women and children is subhuman, and you aren't going to pacify them one bit by being polite.

Edited by cdnvic

Classifying terrorists as subhuman is not racist. Notwithstanding their race, religion, language, or nationality, anyone who kills innocents, clergy, attacks schools, and hides behind women and children is subhuman, and you aren't going to pacify them one bit by being polite.

Well, many of the things you described have been committed in equal measure by the Thai state - such as killing innocents, clergy, etc.

The term "subhuman" comes straight out of the pseudo science of 'eugenics', which was the base of Nazi Philosophy. It would be prudent to be careful with terminology. There are clearly established definitions when applied to certain concepts, even if you are not aware of them.