Changing Retirement to Marriage visa

In view of the parlous state of the  £ I am considering changing my retirement visa to  marriage one, and wonder what was involved in the process, how difficult it might be and if the renewal process also involved hassle.

I am sure this has been asked before, but I could not find the appropriate thread.

How much trouble it is depends to a great degree on which immigration-office you use.  If in Chang Wattana Bangkok - everything can be done "by the book."  Elsewhere, it can vary quite a bit. 

Let us know which office you will be using, and the information provided may be more helpful.

• Like 2

Retirement extensions are approved same day, by your local IO.

Marriage extensions have to be approved by the regional IO, which involves more effort on the part of the officers concerned, so they tend to scowl and question your choice of extension.

Two tips:

1. Do not show enough funds/income to qualify for the retirement extension.

2. Inform them your considering taking a job and will need a work permit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You would be changing the reason for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) from retirement to marriage. You can do it shortly before you current extension ends. Your new extension will start from the date you apply for the new extension instead of at the end of the one you have now.

You will need all the required documents and etc for an extension based upon marriage. Here is my general list of them. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

Be sure you do not have enough financial proof for an extension based upon retirement or they might do the retirement extension without you wanting one.

Is the same amount of forms and data needed on renewal?

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for every extension application.

Thanks Joe. I was hoping to avoid the bank balance problem by using income, which seems to have problems at the moment with the embassies refusing to confirm. I hope by the time my renewal is due (October) this may have reached some satisfactory conclusion!

• 7 months later...

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.a440e5e0c1a4e9631399283bd7cd37ed.JPGOn friday the 12 july. Went to immigration Trat to change visa status to married here is what followed :  i ended up signing 61 !  yes 61 copies as i signed each one i said out loud what number it was and after it was over the IO turned to her colleagues in disbelief and told them 61 copies ! OK so here comes the list.

Statement from bank 2

letter from bank        2

updated bank book 2 pages    =4          

the letter that says we are still married 2  

copy of marriage cert  2

copy of another doc issued when we got married sorry not sure what it is but shows the address where we lived when we got married 2 

copy of cert my wife changing her name to mine 2 

when changing to married visa- All pages of passport pages showing previous visas;

total 6   x 2             = 12

copies of photos 2 pages 2  =4

witness blue book   2 and I D 2 =4

statement from witness 2

my yellow book  2 my pink card 2 =4

wifes blue book 2 her ID =4

drawn map to house 2IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.7723c764a77bc25293626f2f657ee3e4.JPG

application form 1

other docs they gave me to sign were all in Thai and i've lost count now.

This lot came to 52 and it was before adding 5 more pages of passport.  plus witness docs and their stat dec. The good news was when i left the I O  they all had a smile on their face because of my good natured banter with them. I now have the pleasure (?) of a home visit in 7 days. :welcomeani:

I commend you on "rolling with it" and being good humored as some become hostile. It does seem excessive and the frustration level must be high, but to coin a phrase "it is what it is" and the what could be described as ludicrous hoops that some are subjected to do seem unwarranted.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.a440e5e0c1a4e9631399283bd7cd37ed.JPGOn friday the 12 july. Went to immigration Trat to change visa status to married here is what followed :  i ended up signing 61 !  yes 61 copies as i signed each one i said out loud what number it was and after it was over the IO turned to her colleagues in disbelief and told them 61 copies ! OK so here comes the list.

Statement from bank 2

letter from bank        2

updated bank book 2 pages    =4          

the letter that says we are still married 2  

copy of marriage cert  2

copy of another doc issued when we got married sorry not sure what it is but shows the address where we lived when we got married 2 

copy of cert my wife changing her name to mine 2 

when changing to married visa- All pages of passport pages showing previous visas;

total 6   x 2             = 12

copies of photos 2 pages 2  =4

witness blue book   2 and I D 2 =4

statement from witness 2

my yellow book  2 my pink card 2 =4

wifes blue book 2 her ID =4

drawn map to house 2IMG_1414.thumb.JPG.7723c764a77bc25293626f2f657ee3e4.JPG

application form 1

other docs they gave me to sign were all in Thai and i've lost count now.

This lot came to 52 and it was before adding 5 more pages of passport.  plus witness docs and their stat dec. The good news was when i left the I O  they all had a smile on their face because of my good natured banter with them. I now have the pleasure (?) of a home visit in 7 days. :welcomeani:

Sir I must say you are a brave man ...

I'm planning to marry my long time TGF as soon as I can get my birth certificate copy from Belgium and then my Embassy's approval.

I'm living in LOS on a long string of Stay Permit Extensions for Retirement.

I had thought that I would  change my next 800k/400k-based Retirement Extension in November to a Marriage-based one. 

It'd nice to cut down the 800k to 400k but after reading brianthainess very informative posting above (thank you friend!) I'll just plan on the usual 800k/400k extension.

Mama mia!! The monster paperwork!! And must this be done again at next extension? 

I have no problem keeping 800k/400k in the bank so I'll just keep things simple as before!. ????

•