Tg Wants A Car, But Cannot Afford One!

ZEAK

lol squeezing my bum lol

no i don't work in the auto trade, i never have done..i've worked in the print industry and i'll soon be opening my own gym :o

on the subject of work :whistle: u didn't say what u do? or what u earn?

u have a great interest in your gf finances...is that because your own finances are in such a sorry state?

you state that u will pay 10k a month indefinatley that u will never get back, but u refuse to contribute 10k to purchasing a car, her take on that would be less than she is spending on taxis now :whistle:

this isn't an insult, dig just an opinion..

i really wouldn't be suprised if this relationship doesn't last, and when u next see your gf she is driving her own car :D

lol maybe she'll offer u a lift

soon your gf will realise that you are controlling/suffocating her..

btw, what was the purpose of this thread?

looking for manipulation tips/techniques?

atb with the future, whatever happens..

and just to pick up on your gay jibe, u don't have a great understanding of thailand in general if u want to throw childish comments like that about..

thailand is very accepting of homosexuals/cross dressers imho more so than in the west

my daughter is 6 months old, so unless i'm yet to some to terms with my sexuality then your comments were irrelevant, childish and uncalled for...

I work offshore in the oil and gas industry, and trade commodity futures when I am not offshore. I have been in S.E.A for the past 7 years and can assure you, my finances are doing just fine. Thanks for your concern.

Who said I would pay 10K a month indefinatley? Not I. You just did. I would rather pay 10K a month, even for a few years and beable to walk away when every I wanted to with out a headache to get rid of that is now not worth what I paid. It may not make sense to you, but you do know know my future plans, so dont make like a car is a great investment, cause it aint!

Yeah, these past coulple of years with my girl have been great, I hope we can stay together forever. Thanks for the warm wishes, will be sure to pass them on to her, she will get a giggle.

The only time I suffocate her is when we are playing and I roll ontop of her. Shes quite danty you know. Once again, thanks for your concern.

The purpose was to get suggestions on what to do, and I did. Thanks again for all that you contributed.

Its just that you and devil boy make such good bed fellows. Nothing against gays, my girl has many gays friends that join us when we go out, and my half brother is a TG.

Sorry I hit a sweet spot with that. But it seems that some people that over react to certain comments tend to have issues with them. cough cough. You did your analysis, I did mine.

later

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

moonoi, i think u need to take your own advice and re-read the posts, try reading between the lines as well :o

i've replied to this guys comments and the feeling i get when i've read them...if u can relate so well to this guy then maybe u share some of the same traits as him :D

good for you :D

and u didn't address the very real gay jibe that he did make...u want to talk about maturity..take a closer look at the guy you are defending :D

miss, i'm ready to go back to the playground now...will you hold my hand :D

atb zeak :o

if u had said that lucifer and i were a tag team, tapping each other on the shoulder etc that wouldn't have been as petty/childish

u chose your words, u can sit and type all u want about being accepting of thai's, sexuality blah blah

if your beliefs were more than empty words on a web page then u wouldn't have felt the need for your gay jibe...

analyse all u want, i pulled u up for acting like an immature little kid, i'd have done it if u'd made a racist comment etc, online or in person :D

I misread the drivel - I apologise.

As for you, moonoi, was that a gay jibe at me? If the 'giving me a 'feeling' of superiority' was also directed at me I can state that I do not have to feel superior, I am superior!

Thats good, because I felt superior chastising you over your feeling of superiority for bashing zeak. :o

Nope, just taking your comment on to the end of the journey it deserved (on account of your misreading)

bkkbound, thats not my hand your holding :D behave! Sorry I didn't see the "very real gay jibe" your talking about, thats why I didn't comment. Perhaps you read more into a statement than was really there?

At the end of the day I can see both points of few, in my case if my fiance wanted to buy a car but I know she couldn't afford it. Then I would (same as Zeak) point out that "we" can't afford it, show the costings etc etc. and let her work out the math. Then again it isn't a problem that I have to face...I own a car (and the payments on that and the house are killing me!!), she works at the same office as me, so she doesn't need one. I'm her personal chauffer :D and finally it normally me that wants to buy something we can't afford, and even my magical working of figures isn't enough to fool her!!!!! So she convinces me otherwise.....that said...she still hasn't managed to convince me I can't afford that Ferrari laptop I saw at the Acer shop in Lat Phrao at the weekend :D

Edited by moonoi

Zeak if you want a reliable taxi driver in Bangkok, PM me and i'll give you the brother-in-laws number, he's a metered taxi driver and i've known him 5 years, good bloke. he doesn't speak much english though, so unless you speak Thai, you'll have to get the misses to phone him.

BB

While the to and fro bashing does amuse me, and i love to read it (keep it up guys!) i would suggest that maybe a driver might be the best option. Getting a taxi driver to meet those obligations will be very very tough though. He would be passing up many fares to be at the time and place of your choosing. If hes just had a fare to Ayyuthaya, he aint gonna turn that down to get to the airport for you.

A solution ive used in the past (in this case getting my daughter to school instead of sitting on the school bus for over 2 hours, morning and evening) was to employ a trusted family friend. Thais usually have many trusted family friends, most with a pick-up kicking around! We paid him 7,000THB/month, mon-fri including all the fuel, and made it clear that we wouldnt be paying for any truck repairs or maintenence etc etc.

At the end of the day though, she will end up with a car. You may be able to delay it a few months, but it will happen soon. You can delay it further by starting her ona course of driving lessons. (Maybe have a word in the instructors ear to keep them sparce!) She is earning 30,000/month. That means her group of peers are earning the same, and of course it is human nature to be on a par with your peers. at a 30,000/month salary level, i can bet they all have cars!

I think you are right, it will have to be a priviate driver cause a cabby will not race across the city for a small fare. The family options sounds good, but it would not work for us. I will have to contract it to an outside source. Now to find one that is safe and reliable. I like the idea of the driver being female, but will she be on time.

Yes, all her co-workers sit around with their cars asking her when she is getting hers. The rape stories added fuel to her fire and I think really conviced her that she will get raped unless she gets a car. I think the driver is the best option for us at moment. Thanks for your input!!

:o

Is she one of these people (the West is full of them, especially under 30 years old) who fails to grasp the concept of budgeting their income? Does she buy frivolous things, end up three days before payday with no cash, borrow at exorbitant interest rates, fail to understand simple financial thought processes? Then she has no business buying anything other than her next meal.

Ask her to write down what she spends money on in a month, and compare it to her income. See if she grasps fundamental concepts of budgeting. If not, spend the next six months helping her try to understand. Like most people in the world, she may be either stupid, ignorant, or lazy. Good luck.

An interesting point of view but it appears she is worried about being sexually assaulted by the cab drivers and I am not convinced by your post how a financially balanced budget will prevent it, unless that is, she carries a cheque book or savings book which cunningly conceals an AK47.

However one thing that does not appear to have caught on much in Thailand, unlike many other countries, is car sharing. That way the assault risk becomes negiligable whilst the financials also look much healthier.

The thread has moved on, but the car sharing idea remains a great one.

With the traffic and pollution problems around Bangkok it'd be nice to see the government / Bangkok authority offer incentives for car sharing.

Is she one of these people (the West is full of them, especially under 30 years old) who fails to grasp the concept of budgeting their income? Does she buy frivolous things, end up three days before payday with no cash, borrow at exorbitant interest rates, fail to understand simple financial thought processes? Then she has no business buying anything other than her next meal.

Ask her to write down what she spends money on in a month, and compare it to her income. See if she grasps fundamental concepts of budgeting. If not, spend the next six months helping her try to understand. Like most people in the world, she may be either stupid, ignorant, or lazy. Good luck.

An interesting point of view but it appears she is worried about being sexually assaulted by the cab drivers and I am not convinced by your post how a financially balanced budget will prevent it, unless that is, she carries a cheque book or savings book which cunningly conceals an AK47.

However one thing that does not appear to have caught on much in Thailand, unlike many other countries, is car sharing. That way the assault risk becomes negiligable whilst the financials also look much healthier.

With the traffic and pollution problems around Bangkok it'd be nice to see the government / Bangkok authority offer incentives for car sharing.

Perhaps one of her collegues with her shiny new car can pick her up, could work out very well if they work on the same shift.

lol squeezing my bum lol

no i don't work in the auto trade, i never have done..i've worked in the print industry and i'll soon be opening my own gym :D

on the subject of work :whistle: u didn't say what u do? or what u earn?

u have a great interest in your gf finances...is that because your own finances are in such a sorry state?

you state that u will pay 10k a month indefinatley that u will never get back, but u refuse to contribute 10k to purchasing a car, her take on that would be less than she is spending on taxis now :whistle:

this isn't an insult, dig just an opinion..

i really wouldn't be suprised if this relationship doesn't last, and when u next see your gf she is driving her own car :D

lol maybe she'll offer u a lift

soon your gf will realise that you are controlling/suffocating her..

btw, what was the purpose of this thread?

looking for manipulation tips/techniques?

atb with the future, whatever happens..

and just to pick up on your gay jibe, u don't have a great understanding of thailand in general if u want to throw childish comments like that about..

thailand is very accepting of homosexuals/cross dressers imho more so than in the west

my daughter is 6 months old, so unless i'm yet to some to terms with my sexuality then your comments were irrelevant, childish and uncalled for...

Somewhere along the 2nd or 3rd page, I had intended to post something similar to what you have posted here, bkkbound04. I agree with you wholly.

There is something amiss here, priorities just not right. Her gf's finance or for her gf's safety? Then would pay for employing a driver for about 10,000 bht per month. It just doesn't make sense at all. Maybe I am stupid tonight. :o

Using the fear of getting raped to justify getting a car and getting into debt only to have me bail her out does not go over well with me, as you can see. There are other options to keep her safe, and thanks to some good people on here I now have ideas to work with.

A car does not = safety as I mentioned in a previous post. A car is not an asset, a car cost one money, it does not go up in value or pay them on a regular basis.

Perhaps one of her collegues with her shiny new car can pick her up, could work out very well if they work on the same shift.

She has been doing this when she can, it works sometimes, but not always. Sometimes the shifts do not work and she would be waiting for hours.

Have a good one!

atb zeak :o

if u had said that lucifer and i were a tag team, tapping each other on the shoulder etc that wouldn't have been as petty/childish

u chose your words, u can sit and type all u want about being accepting of thai's, sexuality blah blah

if your beliefs were more than empty words on a web page then u wouldn't have felt the need for your gay jibe...

analyse all u want, i pulled u up for acting like an immature little kid, i'd have done it if u'd made a racist comment etc, online or in person :D

Calm down man, sorry if I hurt your feelers but it was a joke, you two came off as being like that so I played it up. But dont you even think about calling me a racist or a homophobe, cause that is not funny and I WILL take offence to that.

u take as much offense as u like :o

..if it really bothers u then try and take more care in what u post..joke or not :D

hope that makes sense :D

You are the only one having a a fit about it, but if I did offend anyone I sincerely apologize.

Thanks to all that helped me with ideas. I am done with this thread.

u take as much offense as u like :D

..if it really bothers u then try and take more care in what u post..joke or not :D

hope that makes sense :D

You are the only one having a a fit about it, but if I did offend anyone I sincerely apologize.

Thanks to all that helped me with ideas. I am done with this thread.

Aw, come on Zeak, don't go :o You still have not let us know what you want to do. It seems for every suggestion that is posted here, you have shoot it down with pretty lame excuses. Just let her have her way, and when she is in hot soup to keep up with payments and in debt, you can tell her - "Honey, I told you so"

Another way to help prevent rape by taxi drivers is to txt your partner the taxi drivers car, or registration number. Do this in clear view of the driver.

WOW devil boy, thats a really good idea! Thanks! I will get her to do that untill I can get a driver.

My girlfriend calls me with the number, that way the driver knows it's been noted. Saying that it's an easy to thing to forget so she has to make habit of it or you call her when you know she's on her way home.

Coincidentally she also used to work at the airport and did get attacked by a taxi driver coming home one night. It was less of an attack more the dude reached round to put his hand on her leg and she freaked out and he stopped the taxi and she got out safely. He sped off and she was left in the soi where he had taken her. Scared the shit out of her, came home in tears. Unfortunately it was a night when she didn't take the number down.

Zeak, your gf earns good wages, surely she could get a bank loan for a cheap 2nd hand car, nothing fancy but reliable. Or does getting a car mean something new and expensive?

Working in Offshore Oil and Gas a months wage should buy her a brand new Jazz, not a lot at all.

She will gain a lot of face which will trickle down to you.

I personally think buying her a car (your money) would be a fantastic investment for you to make, no I am not talking about a monetary investment either although you will still have reclaimable money in a car that you wouldn't have by hiring a driver.

Best of luck with everything mate.

Aw shoot! Why did I just see this thread after ZEAK said he was taking his ball and going home! :D

ZEAK, all of your financial reasoning re vehicle ownership was spot on. Logical. But ownership of an automobile, especially for 1st time owners, is also an emotional issue. By your logic very few of us would own one. Convenience and safety should be factored into the decision as well.

What waved the red flag for me was envisioning you firing off multiple posts in a period of minutes rebutting every post that did not say what you wanted to hear. This after inviting input! your debating style is annoying to say the least. The mature way to deal with unwanted advice is to ignore it. Is this a new concept for you? :o

And ZEAK, you did make several jibes of an anti-gay nature. Fact. Almost by definition that makes you a homophobe, even if you dont want to wear the label.

And you Do come across as a bit(!) of a control freak. Enjoy this relationship while it lasts. :D

Well, I just had a disscussion with my tg and she feels good about getting a driver instead of a car. She agrees that a car can be dangerous as well, along with all the budens. I also think that this is about saving face with her co-workers, as now she can tell them that she has a driver, and that shows that her farung boyfriend does care about her well being. She seemed quite pleased with this solution. And we might be able to find a driver for 5K -7K a month as she only works half the month. Cheaper than a car with none of the hassels!

Thanks to all that gave constructive comments and led us to this solution!

Best,

:o

Your 350 would be 10500/month. ........... I would rather pay 10 a month for a diver that have a car. No hassels with a driver, no headaches.

You would rather pay 10K to a driver than pay 10.5K for a car? Sure, the car is a depreciating asset, but at least it is an asset that maintains a decent resale value in Thailand. 10 K to a driver is a total loss on your part.... paying for his asset!

Zeak, your gf earns good wages, surely she could get a bank loan for a cheap 2nd hand car, nothing fancy but reliable.

BKKMadness has a completely workable idea here. My GF earns approximately the same as yours. She bought a 4 year old car, and the monthly nut was about 5000 Baht. (She recently finished the payments, an the car still has a decent resale value.)

She wants to upgrade now- use the equity in her car as downpayment on a new motor. We have talked about it, and I have explained that it would be wise for her to keep the car for another year or so... save money. I know she isn't convinced, because she really wants that new VIOS, and I expect to see it in the driveway some day soon. I'm sure as hel_l not going to FORBID her to buy it!

There is very simple "test" to do : the "sufficiency economy test". :o

Propose her to buy her a... second hand pick up. Old model, direct from a farmer.

And study her reaction...

The pick up, as a 4 wheels vehicule, would solve the security issue at an affordable cost.. However, it could be a problem regarding the "status" issue...

Therefore, she would probably find a way to refuse that proposal... If of course status is the key of her wish.

How much is she spending on taxis?

could own and run a brand new car for less than 350 baht a day.

The OP said 4k per month.. +- 130 baht per day..

I fail to see how anyone can own a car and have is total costs to run be 10k per month..

I hope that I am not replying to this too quickly, as one poster mentioned. Did not know it is proper online behavior to wait severl hours before sending a reply. :o

I dont understand what you mean. It was not me that said a car would cost 350/day to run. I am sure if one wanted too, and drove lots the costs could be over 10500K per month. It would seem to me that would depend on many factors but would be possible.

Also, some have mentioned getting a used car for her. Well, I had a buddy in the west that had a used, but fairly new truck that started to make a funny noise one day. Took it too the shop and guess what, his tranny was gone, needed a new one at a cost of the equivlant to over 100,000K baht! It happens, happens all the time. Unforseen costs and headaches. :bah:

I see what I did wrong, I came into the motor forum which is full of car owners and or possible owners and yelled cars suck in BKK. Sort of like walking into the lions den and yelling herbivores rule!! So many defenders of cars popping up here trying to convince others that cars make good financial sense in BKK. They can retain their value like someone mentioned, but you will still loose money with them. Just look at the import tax on cars in this country, outrageous!! :D

As far as others still "thinking" that my girl can afford a car with her salary, I mentioned before, you do not know anything about her financial state, I do. You do not know if she has other financial obligations, or saving goals, so for one to assume that because she makes this amount she can get a car is, well, just silly. :D

As far as me forbiding her to go out and get a car, think of it as a time out. It prevents her from doing anything rash, with out us fully looking at all our options. You can not tell me that if you and your companion had a brief talk about getting a car, then show up the next day to find one in the drive that it would not cause problems. :D That is not how it is meant to be done, and I hope that my girl would do the same to me if I was about to do something that she was not in complete agreement with. We have a great relationship and I think it is because we make sure that we are in agreement with things, then there is no one party comming back and saying "see, I told you so". For us, that is not the way it should be done.

Like I said, thanks to this forum and the people that did offer up different ideas we are now sorted. And she called to tell me that she has already found a driver that will do it for 3K - 5K a month! He just needs her work time table in advance. She is happy, so in turn I am happy. This is what it boils down too, keeping a major financial burden that I KNOW she can not afford off of her shoulders while addressing her safety issue. I feel great that I can do this for 5K a month, only 1K more a month than what she was paying on regular taxi's, but now she can save that 4K as I am picking up the tab. She is happy, I am happy. :bah:

Thanks again too the constructive posters!

:D

Edited by ZEAK

You can not tell me that if you and your companion had a brief talk about getting a car, then show up the next day to find one in the drive that it would not cause problems. :o

I can and did tell you this. There would be no problem on my part whatsoever. I'll offer my opinion to a discussion, but it is by no means the law of the household that she must abide by. She is a grownup, and free to make decisions about how to spend the money that she earns. Furthermore, if something makes her happy, who am I to complain?

You can not tell me that if you and your companion had a brief talk about getting a car, then show up the next day to find one in the drive that it would not cause problems. :o

I can and did tell you this. There would be no problem on my part whatsoever. I'll offer my opinion to a discussion, but it is by no means the law of the household that she must abide by. She is a grownup, and free to make decisions about how to spend the money that she earns. Furthermore, if something makes her happy, who am I to complain?

Ummm, ok. :D

But it is one thing to sit back and tell yourself, "yeah, I'm that kind of guy, Im understanding and flexible, it wouldnt be an issue", and another thing for it to actually happen with direct financial links to you. Unless, of couse, you are loaded and so is your girlfriend and money is of no concern to either of you. I would think it is safe to say that MOST people would not be alright with their companion doing such a thing. I know I am not ok with it, and neither is my misses.

But hey, too each their own.

Have a good one!

How much is she spending on taxis?

could own and run a brand new car for less than 350 baht a day.

The OP said 4k per month.. +- 130 baht per day..

I fail to see how anyone can own a car and have is total costs to run be 10k per month..

Cheapest Toyota Soluna over 6 years is 7k including first years insurance, every year after that insurance is circa 18k or 1.5k per month, add road tax, servicing is negligible so I'm leaving say 2k per month for petrol or exactly two and a bit full tanks of gas. 100,000 Kms or 3 years free warranty (covers everything) and after 3 years can trade in for a brand new one and do the same again.

Working in Offshore Oil and Gas a months wage should buy her a brand new Jazz, not a lot at all.

I personally think buying her a car (your money) would be a fantastic investment for you to make, no I am not talking about a monetary investment either although you will still have reclaimable money in a car that you wouldn't have by hiring a driver.

This may not be the least expensive bit of advice but I think Tuky gave the BEST advice. It sounds like you earn good money at your job...and the cash you spend for her wheels will earn you 'dividends' from her and (through her) from her work peers. After all, she is a twenty-something girl. And, relationships are not just founded on balanced books...wants and perceived needs are very important

This may not be the least expensive bit of advice but I think Tuky gave the BEST advice. It sounds like you earn good money at your job...and the cash you spend for her wheels will earn you 'dividends' from her and (through her) from her work peers. After all, she is a twenty-something girl. And, relationships are not just founded on balanced books...wants and perceived needs are very important

Thanks for your view. I understand that a 20 something girl has an urge to fit in with her peers on a certain level, and I am hoping she can do that buy owning a condo, instead of a car. I am more than willing to give her a few 100K for a down deposit on a condo, so that she can rent it out and have the rental income to cover her bank payments. This, I think, will have some weighting with her friends and show them that she is switched on and thinking of her future by investing in assets that generate income, as oppsed to depreciating assets that have never ending operating costs. Would love to get her invested in a dividend fund as well to diverisfy, get a small portfolio going for her with automatic monthly contribuations. Then, once a year, each and every year, say on her birthday, get her one of these. :o

http://www.bordergold.com/index.php?option...1&Itemid=51

In 10 years she will really have something. All in the hopes of gaining a more stable life for the future. :D

Edited by ZEAK