North Carolina governor declares emergency over impending snowstorm

rooster59

North Carolina governor declares emergency over impending snowstorm

By Dan Whitcomb

800x800 (1).jpg

FILE PHOTO: North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper takes part in the "Curbing the Opioid Epidemic" session at the National Governors Association summer meeting in Providence, Rhode Island, U.S., July 13, 2017. REUTERS/Brian Snyder

(Reuters) - The governor of North Carolina declared a state of emergency on Friday as a major winter storm already drenching the southern plains states was expected to slam the southeast with snow and sleet this weekend.

Winter Storm Diego could bring a foot of snow to mountain areas of the Carolinas, along with sleet and freezing rain that could cancel or delay flights and snarl traffic on icy roads.

"North Carolina is gearing up for a major winter storm and we're taking all steps necessary to have the resources we need in place to respond," Governor Roy Cooper said in a written statement announcing the state of emergency declaration.

"Snow may be beautiful but it can also be treacherous and I urge North Carolinians to take this storm seriously and get ready for it now," Cooper said.

American Airlines issued a severe weather advisory, waiving change fees for travellers booked through Charlotte Douglas International, a major regional hub that faces the possibility of delayed or cancelled flights.

Other airports that could be affected include Asheville and Raleigh-Durham International in North Carolina, Lynchburg and Roanoke in Virginia and Greenville-Spartanburg International, South Carolina.

STOCKPILING FOOD

North Carolina emergency management officials urged residents to stockpile food and water for three days, and to keep batteries on hand for flashlights and radios in case power is lost.

Unnecessary travel should be avoided, officials said.

"I'm worried. I've got the milk and bread in," said Mary Susan Bendl, 58, of Charlotte, referring to the provisions she bought ahead of the storm.

Charlotte is expected to get hit with a mix of sleet and snow that could produce 1-2 inches of ice, she said. "They're already cutting trees away from power lines. It's really unusual to have a storm this big this early in the season."

Diego hit the southern plains with snow, ice and freezing rain, prompting Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin to declare a state of emergency for all 77 of that state's counties on Thursday.

"By time we get to (Saturday) is when the snow will begin (in the Carolinas)," said Richard Bann, a meteorologist with the Weather Prediction Center in College Park, Maryland. "We're expecting snow in the southern and central Appalachians."

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for mountain areas of the Carolinas beginning at 7 p.m. ET on Saturday and extending through noon Monday. Coastal areas could be hit with heavy flooding, beach erosion and high winds, according to the weather service.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-08

7 hours ago, zydeco said:

Can't go a day or two without going to the grocery store? How fragile are these people? Okay, maybe millennials can't cook their own dinner--or even pour a bowl of cereal or open a can of tuna. But this woman is almost 60, and she sounds like she is trapped with the Donner Party.

The typical crap comment from the negative Nelly crowd.   

Anyone who has been caught in a major snowstorm knows that preparation is essential.   This storm has the potential to be really troublesome:

Charlotte is expected to get hit with a mix of sleet and snow that could produce 1-2 inches of ice, she said. "They're already cutting trees away from power lines. It's really unusual to have a storm this big this early in the season."

Sleet storms can take are major power lines.   The ice causes poles to snap like match sticks.   Without electricity, there is no heat.   Nearly every type of furnace still requires an electric fan to distribute the heat.

• Like 1

And that's assuming one's road is cleared in any kind of timely manner.  Even in cities where they're used to snowstorms, when enough snow hits-- especially if it just keeps snowing-- they have a hell of a time keeping up with keeping the roads cleared.  Major roads are the priority.  They'll get to the smaller ones when they can-- and yes, this can take a while.  (My small cul-de-sac is going to be no priority at all for the city, even though it's right off a major street that will probably be cleared out pretty quickly.)

Never mind older or disabled people who will have a hell of a time digging their car out no matter how clear the roads are-- and no, they can't all afford to "just hire someone," especially since the snow removal places are also going to be swamped and in these kinds of situations they sometimes have trouble getting to all of their regular clients, never mind anyone else who might call.

Even in cold states, there's a run on the grocery stores before every big storm (half the time it seems the "we're all going to die!!!" dire predictions end up with a couple inches and that's it, but sometimes they're correct and we get slammed).

Can't go 1-2 days without the grocery store?  Maybe not, but if you shop once a week and tomorrow's your day to go and it's supposed to snow like hell tonight, you're going to make sure you get there today.

13 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

And people wonder why I moved from the Midwest (Indiana) to Thailand. 

My friend: "Why do I meet so many people from Michigan in Thailand?"

Me: "DUDE.  It's WARM here!"

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Credo said:

Sleet storms can take are major power lines.   The ice causes poles to snap like match sticks.   Without electricity, there is no heat.   Nearly every type of furnace still requires an electric fan to distribute the heat.

Sort of tends to happen every winter when you get snow and cold. But let's all panic! Three to 8 inches of snow!  Oh, my! And a warning from from Sunday at 1 am to Monday at 7 pm. Must be the end of the world. 

What's it all about? Hype and scare. Ratings on TV and social media. And silly government officials absolutely terrified because somebody, somewhere might get hurt, and said official might get blamed. Never mind that with all the snow on the roads and people forced in, there will probably be fewer traffic fatalities than normal.  

Can't go a day or two without going to the grocery store? How fragile are these people? Okay, maybe millennials can't cook their own dinner--or even pour a bowl of cereal or open a can of tuna. But this woman is almost 60, and she sounds like she is trapped with the Donner Party.

Americans are very good at surviving. The amount of dead would really be a lot more in other countries. It’s a foot of snow where they don’t usually get much. Put that in the north of Thailand and thousands die.

The issue is people going to work. It disrupts the flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Americans are very good at surviving. The amount of dead would really be a lot more in other countries. It’s a foot of snow where they don’t usually get much. Put that in the north of Thailand and thousands die.