Opel Corsa

ryu

Hi there,

I'm interested to buy a 2nd hand Opel Corsa (~10years old). Found a lot for about 150 000 THB. :o

But some people dissuade from buying due to several reasons.

Some say this series has a lot of electrical problems, some say it's very difficult to find someone who can repair this car because it's imported and the mechanics in Thailand are not so familiar with that car. Also all the spare parts are imported and therefore very expensive.

Can anyone confirm this arguments, or is it still worth to buy if I'm looking for a very small car? :D

thanks!

Make sure if it's really only 10 years old. If it's a 1997 they are over 200'000 Baht, specially if it's a automatic. It' must have a 1.6 or 1.8 liter engine. If it's a 1.3 liter than it is the old model, 1992 to 1995. Usally Corollas are the easyest car for maintenance and repairs, all model built in Thailand. Don't worry!

thx for your replies,

sorry, today I've mixed up everything. I would ask what you think about the Opel Corsa, not Toyota Corolla. :D

The Toyota would be the 2nd choice if you recommend not to buy the Opel.

Sorry for the confusion. :o

Opel Corolla :D

I had a Corsa on rental in Rome in 2001. Bl00dy awful thing, sent it back after a week, handled like a wet jelly. It was also the 1.0L three cylinder, actually went Ok but sounded like a four with a permanent misfire :o

Chopped it for a Renault Clio 1.1, nifty little road-rocket, would recommend to anyone, but maybe not in Thailand.

My brother owned a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Sport for about 5 years.

Was a very reliable car until the 4th year, then it became a money pit. Wouldn't start easily, engine running lumpy. Even the Vauxhall dealers in the UK had no idea how to fix it. They had it for 3 months and couldn't solve it. In the end I went down to a local 2nd hand parts dealer and bought a used engine management unit. Swapped it out and it ran perfectly again until the cam belt snapped on the motorway........then it went to the scrapper :o

So if a main dealer in a country where its manufactured doesn't know how to diagnose a fault with it, how do you think they'd manage out here where its an import? I'd stay away from it if I were you. Plenty of other nice motors about without the reliability/finacial headache.

Stingray.....I thought the largest engine they stuck in the Corsa was a 1.6...at least it was in the UK in the SRi model. Was there a bigger engine in europe?

EDIT: for spelling :D

Edited by moonoi

my wife bought a used corsa about 5 years ago and had only problems with that car. Its not easy to find spare parts and also a good mechanic. Do yourself a favor and look for a japanese car where you can find spare parts!! Im german, but I have to say that this opel corsa sucks.........especially in thailand

Now it's correct, the first topic was OPEL COROLLA, therfore the mix up. Opel Corsa are usally 1.2 or 1.4 liter engines. The proplem are the electronics. Allways proplem. But some peaple not like to spend much money for a small used car. Normally a small used car like Honda City, cost just the double ammount of a Corsa, If Corsa have troubles with the Electronic, can only checked by a Diagnostic Computer. Local Mechanics can't afford anny Diacnostic Computer. So if you buy one, make sure the car was never in the Water, and make sure, that nobody fouled around with wirings. Parts are a little more expensive than japanese cars. Properly you'll find one arround 150'000 Baht, thats correct. For Corsa you have not many alternative choices, mayby Honda City, or Toyota starlet, but they much more expensive and the Starlet is even much older. And City is not a Hachback.