Triumph History

findlay13

A good reasonable edited history version vid about Triumph remember my Dad telling me about the Trusty Triumph.

No mention of Ariel, BSA and as said contrary to popular belief, the first Triumph twin engine was not Turner's first parallel twin.

The first was the Englishman Val Page designed Triumph engine introduced in 1933 used for racing later modified and used in the BSA he also designed the Rolls Royce of motorcycles, Brough Superior SS80 & SS100 ohv engine.

Meanwhile this has been posted on facebook two or three times and each time I've asked this same question with no answer.

https://riders.drivemag.com/features/triumph-motorcycles-thailand-factory-visit?fbclid=IwAR3CkW8-o35E-jX8ecfFLrN3WwSXRFqMxY7g_Ct_gaG5fVPYuFdUWWohsvk

" Ok I just found out today the price of the New 1200 Speedmaster has gone up from 632,000 to 645,000bht while they're about 500,000 bht in Australia.Why if there's no import tariffs here because they're made in Chonburi now?"

7 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

Meanwhile this has been posted on facebook two or three times and each time I've asked this same question with no answer.

https://riders.drivemag.com/features/triumph-motorcycles-thailand-factory-visit?fbclid=IwAR3CkW8-o35E-jX8ecfFLrN3WwSXRFqMxY7g_Ct_gaG5fVPYuFdUWWohsvk

" Ok I just found out today the price of the New 1200 Speedmaster has gone up from 632,000 to 645,000bht while they're about 500,000 bht in Australia.Why if there's no import tariffs here because they're made in Chonburi now?"

A try......... As far as I know, Triumph manufactures in Thailand under Board of Investments (BOI) rules. I do not know the exact conditions in this particular case, but I assume they operate under a special tax (perhaps even tax-free) regime which is valid only for products exported. One possible tax-free regime is where these products are treated as if manufactured outside the country. Under such a regime, bikes put on the Thai market would be treated as being imported, so duties/taxes would be due.

8 hours ago, damascase said:

A try......... As far as I know, Triumph manufactures in Thailand under Board of Investments (BOI) rules. I do not know the exact conditions in this particular case, but I assume they operate under a special tax (perhaps even tax-free) regime which is valid only for products exported. One possible tax-free regime is where these products are treated as if manufactured outside the country. Under such a regime, bikes put on the Thai market would be treated as being imported, so duties/taxes would be due.

That use to be the case but now they get the special reduced tax rate. I believe when it went into affect about 2 or 3 years ago a few people who had bought before the tax reduction paid 700,000 or more bhat for various models. There were a few pissed off buyers who had bought before the new tax break

8 hours ago, damascase said:

Yes I remember a long time ago I thought about getting a Triumph America 15K at the time in Australia.Here because they were exported and re-imported they wanted about A$25K .So that didn't happen.

What I have the hump  with in the article is that they state   

"And with a minimum of 40% local content in each complete bike that leaves the factory, it can be sold in the booming local Thai market (Asia’s largest for middleweight and large capacity bikes) without the crippling 60% import duty for foreign-made products being levied" 

BUT then why still about 145,000baht more than Australia ?

4 hours ago, findlay13 said:

BUT then why still about 145,000baht more than Australia ?

Because companies always charge as much as they can. The average buyer in Thailand is just different to the average buyer in western countries and in Thailand they have less competition

7 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Because companies always charge as much as they can. The average buyer in Thailand is just different to the average buyer in western countries and in Thailand they have less competition

Fair Dinkum? Wow. Thanks for that insight.

I was just at the local shopping mall an hour ago.Triumph have a stand there for a week and I was talking to one of the guys I know who work for Triumph. He said at the BKK moto show this year they got 391 orders last year a bit over 400,so Triumph is doing well. A dude came up wearing  Gold glasses,gold watch,gold embroidery on his jean pockets false diamonds on his shoes[Really!],while we were talking.Asked a lot of questions .It was  hard to stop myself from laughing.Anyway,he moves on and I looked at my mate with raised eyebrow.He said a lot of Thais who have money act like that ,and I said the Thais that want  people to think they have money act like that .The Thais with REAL money[like his boss, the owner of the Triumph franchise] don't.I was also in the Harley shop around the corner and about half of the 10 or so bikes they have there had sold signs on them.

Archived