Brake failure again! Video shows carnage on Friendship Highway

webfact

18 hours ago, sweatalot said:

seems you believe in "brake failure"

- what about the tooth fairy?

In a minority of cases yes brake failure can and I'm sure in the land of no maintenance it does occur...

in the majority of cases it can be said that brakes don't work in time to prevent an accident due to driver error in applying them in a timely fashion, due to lack of attention or road/weather conditions !

On 12/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, cleverman said:

I wonder if anybody will have anything original to say about this accident. 

Like how he found a bag of cash ($70,000 USD) in the ditch he wrecked in and turned it into the police?

Unfortunately, no one has to make things up here. Every story is absurd and history repeats itself daily. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, BKKMG said:

Having driven more 150,000 Kms around Thailand over the past 10 years, I can safely say that the majority of 'brake failure' is caused by the driver. They approach a descent at a speed greater than is safe to do so. Subsequently, this speed needs to be reduced whilst travelling downhill. This is asking a lot of the braking system. The problem is exacerbated by the driver then failing to remove his foot from the brakes, to allow cooling, over a prolonged distance which then overheats them and renders them useless when required to stop. 

There are also some genuine cases whereby the vehicle was unroadworthy, but the driver is still responsible as to whether he takes charge of that vehicle. 

Depending on the Brake System, If Brake over Hyd system (Brake Fluid) & if the driver is riding the brake pedal  tanks run out of Air, No Air, No Brake,

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 3:32 PM, fantom said:

Time to stop calling these collisions 'accidents.' Using the word accident implies there is no discernible reason why vehicles end up in a smoking heap on the road. Calling an event like this an accident suggests you dont have to research the reasons and then actually do something about preventing the next collision.

Exactly, the definition of an accident is something bad that happens that is NOT expected.  In Thailand it's something bad that happens that is VERY expected.

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, ratcatcher said:

A "professional" truck driver uses his engine braking system (in N.America known as a Jake Brake), to retard his speed, not just his brakes. I am more familiar with dynamic braking on a locomotive but similar idea.

Also knows how to use his gears something that is lacking in the education of truck drivers in this country.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:32 PM, bontang said:

Depending on the Brake System, If Brake over Hyd system (Brake Fluid) & if the driver is riding the brake pedal  tanks run out of Air, No Air, No Brake,

No air means brakes come on automatically so can't blame brakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a977 said:

Also knows how to use his gears something that is lacking in the education of truck drivers in this country.

I had no idea they had any education to be come a truck driver.

Does it involve complex tasks like below. if it does i suspect most would fail.

colorful-wooden-jigsaw-puzzle-fish-shaped-toy-brain-teaser-game-3-pieces.jpg

Edited by stanleycoin

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, cleverman said:

I wonder if anybody will have anything original to say about this accident. 

I think in Thailand, it is a way to say 'I failed to hit the brake pedal'. Checking the work orders, texting a job price, trying to light up a cigarette, all doing fine, but then a 'fail', related to brakes. Many 'wais' are forthcoming...

If not original, certainly explains it all...

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, worgeordie said:

30+ years,driving HGV,running companies with HGV fleets,

never once had brake failures,here its a daily occurance,

but also doubt it is actually brake failure in a lot of cases

just the drivers excuse for bad driving,i also wonder if the

Police ever check these vehicles to see if the brakes are

actually the cause of the accidents.

regards Worgeordie

I'm afraid worgeordie if they had to comply like in most western Countries none or very few tucks would be on the road.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:32 PM, bontang said:

On big trucks the system is always an air one ;

The assistance system is an oil one .

When there is no air in the bottles, the brakes are blocked; it's a depression system for security .

In Europe most of maxi-codes  have  a secondary system such as electromagnetic system  Telma ( it is a brand ) 

https://www.telma.com/

I had a Telma on my Fruehauf semi trailor in 1973 - 46 years ago !! and in front of the semi trailor I had a Volvo F89 16 speed; exactly 8 speeds and overdrive on all the speeds.

in all the long mountain runs I used the good gear, the Telma and rarely the brakes .

7 hours ago, Adventra20 said:

Reading about all these accidents caused by ‘’Brake Failure’’ I can see a lucrative business opportunity in opening a Brake checking and repair business.  I should make a fortune 

You would make more money selling fortune cookies.

• Haha 2

On 1/1/2019 at 4:17 PM, Assurancetourix said:

On big trucks the system is always an air one ;

The assistance system is an oil one .

When there is no air in the bottles, the brakes are blocked; it's a depression system for security .

In Europe most of maxi-codes  have  a secondary system such as electromagnetic system  Telma ( it is a brand ) 

https://www.telma.com/

I had a Telma on my Fruehauf semi trailor in 1973 - 46 years ago !! and in front of the semi trailor I had a Volvo F89 16 speed; exactly 8 speeds and overdrive on all the speeds.

in all the long mountain runs I used the good gear, the Telma and rarely the brakes .

Euro Trucks Full Air Brake System, Jap Trucks Air Over Hyd System, They just changed to same as Volvo, Scania, Man brake system Full Air with Maxi Brake chambers, But there are many Older Trucks running on Thai roads with the Old System

On 1/1/2019 at 10:34 AM, a977 said:

No air means b, Full Hys rakes come on automatically so can't blame brakes.

EURO or WHB Full Air Brake system Yes as you need Air to Release the Maxi Brake chamber, Old Jap Brake system do not have double acting Brake chambers, They have Air Over Hyd system, Hyd Oil is Dot 3 Brake Fluid, If you are riding the Brake Pedal on low RPM compressor cannot fill the Air Tank quick enough to maintain enough Air to active the Hyd plunger in the Brake chamber on the LHS of the Chassis,

"A truck trailer tries to slow down as traffic comes to a halt but the driver's brakes fail. "

Translation:  A truck driver tries to slow down after failing to notice the 200 cars ahead of him had stopped while he was checking his social media.

Brakes failed... OK.

Dear God Almighty.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, webfact said:

collision damaged a Fortuner and virtually destroyed a black pick-up

Nothing worse than falling asleep while surfing the internet on your smart phone and having your brakes fail at the same time.  Accidental mishaps could result!

On 12/11/2018 at 12:54 PM, Pete1980 said:

Looks like the driver took the best option and ran it into the ditch. Probably saved a few lives risking his own. A brave quick thinking man.

Truck didn't appear to be overloaded either.

Japanese built truck I assume.

Jesus............."really" you should be the transport minister, you'd fit  right in.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:22 PM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

If the truck driver tells the police that his brakes hadn't been working for a while, perhaps that gets reported as brake failure, technically it is.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:13 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

For the large part, they're coming from centuries of oxen and carts, to large, high powered modern day vehicles and road systems in one generation. 

+1 With inadequate, if any, training on how to control and operate these modern day machines safely and responsibly not to mention absolutely zero understanding of/or respect for the rules of the road. 

A recipe for disaster. 

On 12/11/2018 at 5:22 AM, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

I know what you mean.

We were responsible for our own rigs, and hitching a prime mover up to a less than roadworthy trailer or tanker, was just not done.

I just question the level of competence in all areas in Thailand.

The truck driver. 

A loose cannon. Just cowboys.

The transport testing station. RWC. Just a joke.

The transport police.

Do they actually exist?

Accident Investigation teams.

They should be the best of the best. 

But, this is Thailand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dallen52 said:

I know what you mean.

We were responsible for our own rigs, and hitching a prime mover up to a less than roadworthy trailer or tanker, was just not done.

The truck driver. 

The transport police.

Do they actually exist?

But, this is Thailand.

You missed one frequently guilty party, the owners of the transport companies, the ones who refuse to pay to maintain their vehicles, who bribe the testing officers, who bribe the transport police and who put pressure on their drivers to drive faster, its the same with the buses and minibuses, the poor drivers take the fall but really they are just doing what their terrible job demands of them.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:06 PM, dallen52 said:

The truck driver. 

The transport police.

Do they actually exist?

But, this is Thailand.

Surrounded by incompetence and clowns, the whole lot of them.