Lost Mobile Phone

petedk

I am always amazed at the number of Thai girls who lose or have their mobile phones stolen. In the last week alone I have had 5 girls tell me that their mobiles have either been lost or stolen.

All of these girls are either students or work in offices. I can't believe they are telling lies because nearly all of them have gone out and bought a new mobile within 2 or 3 days. Maybe their boyfriends pay for them, I don't know.

I also know a lot of Thai males and as far as I can remember none of them have ever had a mobile stolen or lost.

Is it some kind of fashion to have your mobile stolen? How many other people hear the same kind of stories?

I know a couple of girlfriends (or exgirlfriends) that have lost their phones over here. I'm actually on my 5th phone in 8 months - 2 lost/stolen, 2 breakages. I'd never lost a phone prior to coming here!

Edited by JCCR6

A friend of a GF once showed me her phone (it was one of those ones where you

could buy a different snap-on fascia) and told me five farangs had bought her

that phone. "My phone is broken and I can't afford a new one so you won't be

able to phone me when you go home" was a nice little earner. Price of a phone

changes hands and she runs of and buys a new fascia.

There is a market in s/h phones so "My phone was stolen" could well work but

the economics are not as lucrative.

When I was in Pattaya last, I purchased a used Cell phone. Many of my friends began to text me often and I began to return their text messages. Turns out one text was not mine but that of the guy who had originally purchased the phone for his girlfriend! He asked me why I was ignoring him and why I got a new number and did not tell him. I told him I just purchased the phone used. He called me a liar and told me that he wanted his 200,000 baht back! He made several threats of killing me... I mean her.... I used the phone to take my picture and sent it to him as sms attachment. He apologized to me and explained that the girl had promised to marry him, taken his money and gifts and vanished. Then he slipped back into thinking I was her again. He offered to send more money and proclaimed his love.

I wonder if the phone I purchased was stolen or if it was sold?

PaulUSA302>> Atleast you knew why he got dumped.

If he continues to disturb you, treat him like a 409-scammer. Say you will get back to him if you can be persuaded...and then ask for pics of him doing things worse and worse...standing in a bucket of water with a fish on the head of a sign saying 'I love cake' comes to mind.

Edited by TAWP

When I was in Pattaya last, I purchased a used Cell phone. Many of my friends began to text me often and I began to return their text messages. Turns out one text was not mine but that of the guy who had originally purchased the phone for his girlfriend! He asked me why I was ignoring him and why I got a new number and did not tell him. I told him I just purchased the phone used. He called me a liar and told me that he wanted his 200,000 baht back! He made several threats of killing me... I mean her.... I used the phone to take my picture and sent it to him as sms attachment. He apologized to me and explained that the girl had promised to marry him, taken his money and gifts and vanished. Then he slipped back into thinking I was her again. He offered to send more money and proclaimed his love.

Why didn't you give him bank details ?

???

40 years ago, American troops came to Singapore for R & R. The girls would talk them into buying a camera for them. One week later, the troops went back and the cameras went back too.

Fast forward 40 years, it doesn't surprise me the same scam is going on. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Edited by Briggsy

After getting 5 or more sms's from him a day, I was thinking of letting him send me some money! I figured that if he was so eager to give his money away than he may as well give it to the guy that is telling him that he is not his girlfriend.... But then I figured that he may set a trap and then think I am the guy who stole his girl from him and then I will end up sleeping with the fishes.

AND I had one experience in Thailand where I got myself involved in a Thai on Thai fight. I broke it up by holding the arms of the guy about to swing a lead pipe to the head of a drunk guy. He dropped the pipe after yelling for me to let him go! Then he began to yell, asking me "Who are you?!"

Once I let him go and beat it out of there, I had to ask myself who I was... I am not superman... I am not unbreakable. I am just a guy on holiday who hopes he can make it home safe and sound. So from this day forward, I promise run away when I see a fight about to happen in Thailand. So with that being said, I decided to leave the tricks to those in the trade. :o

Edited by PaulUSA302

:o

Only joking pal (but you knew that right ?).

One thing here , they recycle lapsed pre-paid nos pretty fast.

Came here last year , bought a new DTAC sim card

for the phone and then had to learn the Thai for

"wrong number". So you have go through two weeks

(or months) of calls for the prior owner of that number.

:D

Edited by farangsay

I know a couple of girlfriends (or exgirlfriends) that have lost their phones over here. I'm actually on my 5th phone in 8 months - 2 lost/stolen, 2 breakages. I'd never lost a phone prior to coming here!

If they say they lost it, they lost it. Why would they lie?????????????????? :o

:o

Only joking pal (but you knew that right ?).

One thing here , they recycle lapsed pre-paid nos pretty fast.

Came here last year , bought a new DTAC sim card

for the phone and then had to learn the Thai for

"wrong number". So you have go through two weeks

(or months) of calls for the prior owner of that number.

:D

What is the Thai for "wrong number"? I'm always getting phone calls for other people & telling them I don't understand or I don't speak Thai (in Thai, of course) doesn't seem to be working.

Thai girls and guys DO lose mobile phones. So do farangs when they are on holidays. I accidently left my mobile phone at a shop when I bought some clothing. I had gone two minutes down the road when I realised where I had left it. One Thai's response: 'Do not worry. Just get a new one.' I explained that I am not made of money - and he apologised and we went back to retrieve it.

My Thai other half was genuinely upset when his mobile phone was stolen from his locker at work - he complained to his supervisor and even reported it stolen to the police.

He has also lost two down the toilet.

Peter

I've had mine stolen twice. Both times in a bar. (Serves me right, no?) My missus recently had hers nicked whilst out invoicing for her company at a customer's factory. :o Those new Nokia "N" series seem to be in big demand at the moment, so watch out for light-fingered b@stards everywhere.

Doubtless you can usually get the handset back (minus SIM) at your local "talaat natt". :D

Why not get a fresh clean sim with it ??

Not counting the first mobile that fell into the river, I've had the same number for almost 3.5 years. The unit eventually wears out, and I put the SIM card into the next unit.

I was dating this guy for a long time, and he never obviously lied to me. Then one night he asks me to buy him a new mobile because he lost his yesterday morning. I show him that last night, he called me from that number. He never asked for a phone again.

My old phones were the bottom of the line Sony-Ericcson's. This one, however, weighs almost half a pound, has a video screen big enough to watch a football match, and must have a microwave oven inside. I'm afraid they'll steal it.

Well it seems quite a normal thing here to lose a mobile or have it stolen. I've lived here 6 years and never had it happen to me. Having said that it'll probably happen now.

I did leave it in an office one day but when I returned 1 hour later it was still on an empty desk. I guess I was lucky. I too have a Nokia N series (20,000 baht) and it's quite bulky and I would hate to lose it. I've noticed many people look at it when I'm on the sky train or underground.

It seems that many of the girls leave them in taxis. God knows why they don't put them in their bags after using them.

I've never found one of the lost ones. I have had mine for four years now, not the same handet but the same sim.

Our next door neighbour lost his in a taxi. It was one of the older models of nokia. Once he realised what had happened he phoned it. The person who answered it denied it belonged to Mr X. Mr X offered to meet taxi driver and pay to get sim card back as it had lots of numbers on it. Mr Taxi declined and kept insisting that it was his and not Mr X's.