Certificate of Residency from Nakhon Pathom IO

I suspect like quite a few other TV members, I am considering Plan B (money in the bank) in order to qualify for my retirement extension late next year.  To achieve this, I decided that I would open a separate account with Bangkok Bank specifically for ‘holding’ the necessary funds for the required ‘seasoning’.

When I went to the bank last week to create the new account, I was advised that I must provide either a letter from my Embassy or from Immigration certifying my address.  For some unknown reason they would not accept my yellow book or pink card both of which have my address in/on them.  Why they should need this letter, when I already have two other accounts with them, is beyond me.

So, this afternoon I went to my local immigration office (Nakhon Pathom) armed with the completed application form, 2 photos, copy of my passport photo page, copies of all my previous Thai Immigration stamps and departure card, plus copies of my yellow book and pink card and my wife’s house book and ID card – all just in case.

I arrived at the office at just gone 12:30 (lunch time).  There were 2 IO’s at their desks but no one else in the waiting area.  As I prepared to sit down in the waiting area one of the IO’s beckoned me forward.  I handed him the application form together with the bundle of copies, my passport and yellow book. 

He studied the application form and sifted through the papers with a stern look on his face.  He then said with a smile, you forgot to copy your TM30 (notification alien stay at residence) receipt.  He then proceeded to make a copy of the TM30 receipt on his desktop scanner/copier instead of sending me out to the copy shop in the car park.

Because of the time I arrived (lunch time), the clerk who does the typing was not available.  The IO apologised that I would have to wait until she returns, which was not a problem.  As no one else was waiting to be served I had a nice chat with the IOs about certain Embassies withdrawing their letters confirming income.  After about 10 minutes the clerk returned and within a few minutes she had produced the letter which the IO checked and then took to the senior (who had also just returned) to be signed.

Great service.  I was in and out in just over 30 minutes and the letter was FREE ???? .....

FYI... The British Embassy will charge 50 GBP for their equivalent letter and you have to make an appointment which currently has a waiting list into February.

• Like 1