Non immigrant visa based on marriage extention - Chiang Mai Immigration update

So me and my wife went to the Chiang Mai immigration office. It's been moved recently back by the airport from the mall. I think the unfortunate part about that is once again there's not enough parking and even though it looks clean and tidy it's chaotic and very very packed. Having said that even though it looks very chaotic the process is pretty simple. I got our que ticket and went and turned in the paperwork and when I talked to the immigration officer she wanted our copy of my wife's name change which means because it wasn't in the paperwork we didn't bring it so I had to drive home an hour and a half get it and they also sprung the surprise of wanting my bank statements on top of being able to use the US income verification form. It was a surprise to me because I had called the immigration office the day before and asked if I needed the bank statements because they're not Thai bank statements their US bank statements and they said no but as you can see when I got there it turns out you do now need bank statements every time .

So just to let everybody know, it seems like that's standard now that even if you have the income verification form ,you have to have bank statements. At least At the Chiang Mai office, they made that pretty clear yesterday. So we drove back and the immigration officer handed me off to another one and the lady wanted to deny my application because she couldn't figure out my u.s. bank statement , how to see how much was deposited.

One of her senior officers I guess bosses came over and looked at the paperwork and saw that between the two bank accounts I made enough to qualify for the yearly extension.

I guess the most frustrating part was as we were leaving , the officer told my wife in Thai that everything looked good but they may or may not have to bring me back for additional documentation , which I think is crazy because we handed over an inch thick worth of paperwork bank statements , marriage certificates , copies of passports ,the whole thing.

What else could they possibly want? Anyways there you go tentatively I got my visa extension because who knows if they'll add some other BS to try to disqualify people. So in the end make sure you bring everything you have with you just in case they try to say you need something else.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

Nothing new, in fact you may of been quite lucky, NO BANK LETTER ?????

Sometimes a little bit of reading helps:

"and they also sprung the surprise of wanting my bank statements on top of being able to use the US income verification form."

Not being lucky at all, additional proof was neccessary.

Edited by hanuman2543

Copy of wife's name change? What if your wife chose to use her own surname? At least in some countries a marriage does not mean an automatic name change and even if the wife chooses to use the surname of her husband there is no requirement to obtain a separate document other than the marriage certificate.