'Trust me', Britain's May tells EU leaders she can get Brexit deal passed

webfact

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, webfact said:

The backstop aims to ensure there is no return to controls on the border between the British province of Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic.

At best May gets a symbolic border control, ie., transponder with remote electronic monitoring, to help May get the larger part of the May-EU deal approved by UK parliament majority. She has negotiated in good faith with the EU leadership despite parliament minority opposition and so may get a small boon from the EU. Otherwise I don't see the EU feeling very threatened by a hard UK exit.

51 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I would be interested to understand why retired military types are uniformly anti EU. All bright people know that, on balance, it is sensible to remain. Is a military pension not good enough? There was a lunch for retired "Ruperts" at The British Club yesterday and the ones I spoke to were onboard with the EU. So what is it all about? Not enough battles?

Another load of baloney, why you are trying to single out "military types" has nothing to do with leaving the EU. 17.4 million voters voted to leave the EU, my guess is that most of these were not "military types", my only conclusion is you are baiting, please desist. 

"All bright people know" another one of your over inflated ego comments designed to flame.

9 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Unlike you, the "military types" swore an oath to preserve and protect GB.

Not be subservient to Germany and the crock that makes up the rest of the EU.

You disparage those that protect GB from Europe. Shame on you

That is hilarious.  What time period are you living in?  You know the war is over, right?  

You sound you are right out of 'Dad's Army'.  Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!!

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

Another load of baloney, why you are trying to single out "military types" has nothing to do with leaving the EU. 17.4 million voters voted to leave the EU, my guess is that most of these were not "military types", my only conclusion is you are baiting, please desist. 

"All bright people know" another one of your over inflated ego comments designed to flame.

Vogie, let it go - don't rise to his baiting.

I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire!  ????

21 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Unlike you, the "military types" swore an oath to preserve and protect GB.

Not be subservient to Germany and the crock that makes up the rest of the EU.

You disparage those that protect GB from Europe. Shame on you

well put, saves me the trouble of saying the same thing.   The OP's use of the word 'Rupert', says it all about his bias. 

4 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

That is hilarious.  What time period are you living in?  You know the war is over, right?  

You sound you are right out of 'Dad's Army'.  Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!!!

What are you talking about, or more accurately, what are you smoking or drinking?   Good job the forum rules do not permit a more 'focused' reply to you and your views. It may have escaped your notice, but wars happen all the time and thank providence that many young people in the UK are still prepared to risk their lives in the service of their Country.  . 

A 'no deal' Brexit gives every politician a political alibi for why they are not at fault and should return to office. Those that vote 'yes' ,  are asking to be non reelected in the very near future. A 'no' vote you may take flack, a 'yes' vote you definitely take flack. CYA

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

I would be interested to understand why retired military types are uniformly anti EU. All bright people know that, on balance, it is sensible to remain. Is a military pension not good enough? There was a lunch for retired "Ruperts" at The British Club yesterday and the ones I spoke to were onboard with the EU. So what is it all about? Not enough battles?

How many settled in Germany, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Malta upon retirement & how did they vote & how many live elsewhere in the EU...and why will this post cause CH to have another ND? 

(????)

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

What are you talking about, or more accurately, what are you smoking or drinking?   Good job the forum rules do not permit a more 'focused' reply to you and your views. It may have escaped your notice, but wars happen all the time and thank providence that many young people in the UK are still prepared to risk their lives in the service of their Country.  . 

I'm not quite sure how this debate features so much about the military. Brexit has virtually nothing to do with our armed forces or anybody else's, we were not signed up for a EU force, and never had to be. There have been no wars in continental Europe since WW11 apart from the civil war in former Yugoslavia. No posters on this forum (Great heroes though they may imagine themselves to be in their Walter Mitty dreams) actually fought Germans, Italians, or anyone else in WW II, unless they are in their late 90s now. These young people you talk about come from the generation who widely recognize that the Brexiteers are on track to destroy their futures as Hestletine wisely said. There was thankfully once a time, when Tory cabinet members had brains that were capable of thinking of something other than the value of their arms shares.

4 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

These young people you talk about come from the generation who widely recognize that the Brexiteers are on track to destroy their futures as Hestletine wisely said.

The EU has already destroyed the futures of many young people, not to mention the futures of some entire nations for the foreseeable future.

EU youth unemployment.jpg

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

The EU has already destroyed the futures of many young people, not to mention the futures of some entire nations for the foreseeable future.

You really think that's relevant to the UK? That's a problem for southern Eurozone nations. What have their economic situations got to do with the UK?

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I'm not quite sure how this debate features so much about the military. Brexit has virtually nothing to do with our armed forces or anybody else's, we were not signed up for a EU force, and never had to be. There have been no wars in continental Europe since WW11 apart from the civil war in former Yugoslavia. No posters on this forum (Great heroes though they may imagine themselves to be in their Walter Mitty dreams) actually fought Germans, Italians, or anyone else in WW II, unless they are in their late 90s now. These young people you talk about come from the generation who widely recognize that the Brexiteers are on track to destroy their futures as Hestletine wisely said. There was thankfully once a time, when Tory cabinet members had brains that were capable of thinking of something other than the value of their arms shares.

One OP made a statement about ex Military and their supposed bias against Europe, hence the replies.  Nobody as far as i know has mentioned a European Force,  arms sales, or anything about fighting with Europeans. 

No wars in Europe, apart from the last one, in the former Yugoslavia?  That was a war right?  We dropped bombs on various people, so I guess that it was at the very least a military conflict.   As any ex Military knows,  there are never any wars since the last one, until the next one, hence the need to maintain a Military Force,  answerable to a Sovereign Parliament .

You are entitled to your opinions of course, however wrong they may be ! 

9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

One OP made a statement about ex Military and their supposed bias against Europe, hence the replies.  Nobody as far as i know has mentioned a European Force,  arms sales, or anything about fighting with Europeans. 

No wars in Europe, apart from the last one, in the former Yugoslavia?  That was a war right?  We dropped bombs on various people, so I guess that it was at the very least a military conflict.   As any ex Military knows,  there are never any wars since the last one, until the next one, hence the need to maintain a Military Force,  answerable to a Sovereign Parliament .

The Eu was not impressed with Mrs May 

Michel Barnier, EU chief Brexit negotiator, claimed that Mrs May was not seeking reassurances but was reviving old ideas rejected during Brexit negotiations. One EU diplomat briefed on the talks said Mrs May was “unprofessional”.

Another EU diplomat claimed that there was even a suggestion that it might have been better if Mrs May had been ejected from Downing Street in this week’s abortive coup by Tory Eurosceptics.

“She didn’t know what she wanted,” the diplomat said. 

https://www.ft.com/content/5a649ddc-ff0a-11e8-ac00-57a2a826423e

23 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You really think that's relevant to the UK? That's a problem for southern Eurozone nations. What have their economic situations got to do with the UK?

Eh? No!

It has relevance to opportunities for young people being destroyed on a massive scale within the EU, specifically by the Euro and its associated policies.

38 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

May's biggest failing is backing the wrong horse!

Right now- the Govt should be preparing for a no deal Brexit- or are we going to stumble drunkenly through that too!  Come the day we need to be as ready as we can be.

We haven't got time to prepare for a no deal Brexit - it will happen in 3 months !

The Eu was not impressed with Mrs May 

Michel Barnier, EU chief Brexit negotiator, claimed that Mrs May was not seeking reassurances but was reviving old ideas rejected during Brexit negotiations. One EU diplomat briefed on the talks said Mrs May was “unprofessional”.

Another EU diplomat claimed that there was even a suggestion that it might have been better if Mrs May had been ejected from Downing Street in this week’s abortive coup by Tory Eurosceptics.

“She didn’t know what she wanted,” the diplomat said. 

https://www.ft.com/content/5a649ddc-ff0a-11e8-ac00-57a2a826423e
That's what happens when you have a weak re-moaner as PM..who instead if using top notch business people to do the UK's negociations..used senior jobsworths who know next to nothing about business apart from counting paper clips.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

My impression from the reports of this meeting is that the EU27 are on the point of giving up and cutting their losses. They don't want a disorderly No Deal Brexit, but they are starting to realise that UK politics is too dysfunctional to be able to deliver a deal. They need to make plans to support the economies of Ireland and the Pas De Calais. 

And a proportion, perhaps a fifth to a quarter, of the UK population are so clueless that they actually welcome this

38 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

So youth Unemployment has nearly halved in 5 years is bad news???

36 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

however wrong they may be?

so you sit on all the right answers and opinions

you are gun swinging human waste

36 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

however wrong they may be?

so you sit on all the right answers and opinions

you are gun swinging human waste

Archived