UK Pension

Farangdanny

I have been receiving UK Pension for over seven years. As live abroad, I am not entitled to the increases.

Does anyone know:

1. How long must one be back in  UK to claim the increases ?

2. Would it be backdated ?

3. What % it has increased in seven years ?

4. Is Gibraltar considered ton be part of the UK for this purpose ?

I emailed the pension service They replied that,' for my security', they can not answer these sensitive questions by email !!

How is "taking up residence" defined .. anyone know please ? As in "you get the full increases on taking up residence". 

Just curious .. what the situation is if you spend summers or a summer in UK and rest of time here. I mean I not heard about time limits on long trips/holidays away. 

In other words go home .. I got a house there ... not been home for 7 years .. ask for full pension to be re instated. 3 months later come back. I assume my Thai retirement visa allows me to have a holiday away for that length of time. 

Im not trying to squeeze the system .. I genuinely fancy a summer back in England and get well away (and back here) when the drab 8 month winter starts.  Dont want full pension if this is bad form but dont wanna be coy if it perfectly normal. 

Someone may genuinely think they home for good .. then later go abroad again.

I still pay lots of tax in UK as my income derives from there. Its taxed before I get it .. so dont want to play the system just not want to be a mug and not claim legally due monies I have paid for.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:
15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

3. Approximately 15%

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Possibly a little more than that, depending on what "7 years" means:

https://adviser.royallondon.com/technical-central/rates-and-factors/state-pension/basic-state-pension-rates/

I've just done the calculation again and, actually you're right. I've also been drawing my state pension for 7 years and now that I've done my math correctly it comes to 18%.

Apologies to the O/P

AFAIK you get the pension increase from the day you step into the UK, but it is only temporary whilst in the UK.

If you stay 6 months then the increase is locked in, ie you continue on the new, increased rate even if you return to Thailand.

2 hours ago, PAWNEESE said:

How is "taking up residence" defined .. anyone know please ? As in "you get the full increases on taking up residence". 

Just curious .. what the situation is if you spend summers or a summer in UK and rest of time here. I mean I not heard about time limits on long trips/holidays away. 

In other words go home .. I got a house there ... not been home for 7 years .. ask for full pension to be re instated. 3 months later come back. I assume my Thai retirement visa allows me to have a holiday away for that length of time. 

Im not trying to squeeze the system .. I genuinely fancy a summer back in England and get well away (and back here) when the drab 8 month winter starts.  Dont want full pension if this is bad form but dont wanna be coy if it perfectly normal. 

Someone may genuinely think they home for good .. then later go abroad again.

I still pay lots of tax in UK as my income derives from there. Its taxed before I get it .. so dont want to play the system just not want to be a mug and not claim legally due monies I have paid for.

The short answer is yes,

You can claim the full current rate of pension during visits to UK, even short ones apparently. There is reference to this in the following web site,

It does not define what a 'short visit' is, but 3 months is certainly not short is it.

https://ukpensiontransfer.com/blog/frozen-pensions-beginning-to-thaw

Archived