How to apply for own work permit?

hey guys,

I heard about the recent updates and new regulations related to Thai work permits,

what I heard is that you can work any where in Thai instead of the old regulations that restrict the holder of this permit to work only in that specific place and province,

recently, one of my friends was telling me that you can apply for your own work permit,

I'm not sure how come this?unless someone has a company or running some kind of business.

if anything new please update and share your comments if any relevant experience in this regard,

thanks

The BIG problem I had when in possession of a work permit was that in the process of obtaining such, I had to sign a declaration stating that I was making 80,000 Bht per month. In reality I was often making next to zero after paying wages and other expenses, but I was having to pay tax on the 80,000 Bht ???? If there is any way you can operate without a work permit you should give it a try, but keep a low profile and fly close to the ground.

16 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Only change is that you can work at multiple places compaired to before only one location.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm a little confused about this. I have a WP so if I wanted to work "anywhere" else (provided it's not in the restricted list of professions) I could do that? So I could technically work at 7-11?

Or does this mean multiple branches of the same company?

Edited by Greyhat

16 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

,you can not

I didn't think so too.

What a shame.  Some really smart people around that could set up companies useful to society and help people. Id set up a small school teaching trades such as glazier and air con mechanic. 

But good luck to whoever is following a career in Thailand anyway

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Greyhat said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm a little confused about this. I have a WP so if I wanted to work "anywhere" else (provided it's not in the restricted list of professions) I could do that? So I could technically work at 7-11?

Or does this mean multiple branches of the same company?

Same company.

BTW, working at 7-11 is restricted to Thais.

All 7-11 here on Samui would have Burmese staff as they speak better English.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Same company.

Ah right, cheers mate.

19 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

All 7-11 here on Samui would have Burmese staff as they speak better English. 

Good point, well made.

12 hours ago, onera1961 said:

With an Smart Visa, you can work without a work permit but it must be in one of the 10 approved S curve industry.

With a Bachelors Degree and 10 years documented history of your expertise in the field, a minimum 600,000 baht for the first year and of course an area of expertise that is highly sought after and needed, and a company that will pay you 200,000 a month.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:39 PM, PoorSucker said:

I'm interested to read this rule. Manual labour, making dolls, whatever archaic rules they still follow, I never read this one. Further, I think that if you have immediate Thai family, they don't really give a hoot. I read it bandied around on these forums that you need a degree to get a work permit in Thailand. I have no degree, but I have a work permit, go figure. It says on my work permit that I'm the "Head of Customer Services", but in reality I do all the marketing, do all the electricians work, clean the swimming pools, work the night shift when the useless night staff don't show up, I even work the kitchens when it's busy, any good hotel manager has his own set of knives. I also run my own DBD registered IT consultancy. Nobody really gives a $#!t.

Edited by NilSS

I'm interested to read this rule. Manual labour, making dolls, whatever archaic rules they still follow, I never read this one. Further, I think that if you have immediate Thai family, they don't really give a hoot. I read it bandied around on these forums that you need a degree to get a work permit in Thailand. I have no degree, but I have a work permit, go figure. It says on my work permit that I'm the "Head of Customer Services", but in reality I do all the marketing, do all the electricians work, clean the swimming pools, work the night shift when the useless night staff don't show up, I even work the kitchens when it's busy, any good hotel manager has his own set of knives. I also run my own DBD registered IT consultancy. Nobody really gives a $#!t.

What means DBD registered?

In that case I'm breaking rule#6 on a daily basis. I'm also breaking several others every day, the only way to avoid breaking them is to just stay in my office 24/7. I'm not constructing any dolls though or rolling any tobacco, I'm good on those ones.

DBD is https://www.dbd.go.th/dbdweb_en/

Edited by NilSS

18 hours ago, NilSS said:

Of course nobody gives a shit, this is Thailand, but if you step anybody on the foot suddenly somebody might give a shit and you might be arrested for working illegally.

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

6.  Shop/Outlet attendance;

Sure I know that, and I don't step on toes, occasionally a boiler room gets busted or a psuedo-school of English with their staff of non-teachers gets shut down, but I never saw or heard of anyone getting their work permit revoked for not following the dotted I's or crossed Ts, did you?

Occasionally I'll go and pick someone up from the airport. I call that customer service, some might view it as working as an illegal tour guide. Following the rules to the letter is all but impossible unless you close the door and draw the curtains. There is always someone holier than thou to wag their finger. Pfft, whatever.

Edited by NilSS