Migrant woman who fled tear gas at U.S. border stopped in group asking asylum

webfact

Migrant woman who fled tear gas at U.S. border stopped in group asking asylum

By Carlos Barria

2018-12-18T023523Z_1_LYNXMPEEBH04E_RTROPTP_4_GLOBAL-POY-IMAGE.JPG

A migrant family, part of a caravan of thousands traveling from Central America en route to the United States, run away from tear gas in front of the border wall between the U.S and Mexico in Tijuana, Mexico November 25, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/Files

TIJUANA, Mexico (Reuters) - Fifteen Honduran migrants, mainly teens but including a mother photographed running with her daughters from tear gas several weeks ago, were held up on the U.S. side of the border with Mexico on Monday and denied the chance to ask for asylum, a Reuters witness and advocates said.

Among the group were Maria Meza and her children, who appeared in a widely circulated photograph taken by Reuters as they fled tear gas thrown by U.S. authorities during a protest at the border last month when some migrants rushed the U.S. fence.

Activists consider the group, including several unaccompanied minors, to be vulnerable and in need of quick attention at the port of entry.

Democratic U.S. Representatives Jimmy Gomez and Nanette Barragan, along with lawyers, accompanied the group at the Otay Mesa port of entry in Tijuana, Mexico, on Monday afternoon, the Reuters witness said.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) agents said the port of entry was full, Gomez said. Surrounded by advocates and lawyers, the migrants sat by a metal turnstile, having gone beyond a sign marking the division between Mexico and the United States.

The CBP did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The asylum seekers had been part of groups of thousands of migrants known as caravans that left from Central America and arrived in Tijuana in recent months.

U.S. President Donald Trump declared the caravans an “invasion,” and sent several thousand troops to “harden” the border, including with barbed wire.

U.S. authorities have been limiting how many migrants can ask for asylum each day at the Mexico border. That has led to months-long waits before asylum claims can be made.

The 15 migrants were still sitting at Otay Mesa after two hours on Monday, as Gomez and Barragan talked to CBP officers. One of the young girls began to cry as her mother held her.

"They're saying that they don't have the capacity, but that doesn't seem to be the case because nobody has been allowed in to see if they have the capacity," Gomez told reporters at the scene, adding he would find out whether that was true.

Lawyers from advocacy group Al Otro Lado were also with the children. Al Otro Lado has accompanied vulnerable groups to the border in order to request asylum, bypassing a semi-formal list system that controls the numbers of migrants who try to enter each day.

Earlier this month, a single mother and her 9-year-old daughter were able to ask for asylum at the San Ysidro port of entry only after a congresswoman - who was touring the port at the time - stepped in and told CBP officers they were required to process them by law, according to Lindsay Toczylowski, executive director at the Immigrant Defenders Law Center.

(Reporting by Carlos Barria in Tijuana, Mexico; Additional Reporting by Kristina Cooke; Writing by Christine Murray and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-18

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

Fifteen Honduran migrants, mainly teens but including a mother photographed running with her daughters from tear gas several weeks ago, were held up on the U.S. side of the border with Mexico on Monday and denied the chance to ask for asylum, a Reuters witness and advocates said.

Among the group were Maria Meza and her children, who appeared in a widely circulated photograph taken by Reuters as they fled tear gas thrown by U.S. authorities during a protest at the border last month when some migrants rushed the U.S. fence.

Some things come back to bite you in life. This is a prime example. Amother who does not care for children positively is not a desired individual to have enter a country.

The mother chose  and I mean chose to rush the border with her children. The mother could have waited in line with all the good intention refugees and gone through immigration legally when her time came up. But no decided to rush the border with her children. Ending all chances of getting refugee status Stupid is as stupid does

Cannot blame this on any one else but the mother.

7 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

Some things come back to bite you in life. This is a prime example. Amother who does not care for children positively is not a desired individual to have enter a country.

The mother chose  and I mean chose to rush the border with her children. The mother could have waited in line with all the good intention refugees and gone through immigration legally when her time came up. But no decided to rush the border with her children. Ending all chances of getting refugee status Stupid is as stupid does

Cannot blame this on any one else but the mother.

And someone has prevented her and others from making a legal application for asylum.   

Some people really don’t get it donald isn't letting anyone apply sorry it doesn't fit what you want it to be but the fact is they aren’t accepting applications btw do you think even for a heartbeat that these people take this journey lightly crossing a hostile dangerous county really?a mother with children really?

I don’t get this blaming the parents bit.

Almost every America alive, with the exception of Fisrt Nation Americans are descended from people who took a perilous journey to a new life in America.

Some had a choice in that journey, some had no choice at all.

Oddly it’s the descendents of voluntary immigrants that are ranting against people making the same choice their own for fathers made.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Almost every America alive, with the exception of Fisrt Nation Americans are descended from people who took a perilous journey to a new life in America.

Oddly it’s the descendents of voluntary immigrants that are ranting against people making the same choice their own for fathers made.

Fully agree!

My ancestors risked a very long trip in 19th century Europe and across the Atlantic to escape oppression.  And, I am sure that there are, as Chomper correctly pointed out, many other Americans who have the same or similar family stories.  In fact, it is part of the bond that makes us American despite our different ethnic backgrounds. 

However, I must confess, my ancestors were not escaping from a country that the USA had seriously meddled with and thus led to a dysfunctional government.  So, it's a bit rich for Americans today to demonize these Central American peoples who are doing their best to escape from serious problems that America, with the help of greedy and unsavory locals, have their fingerprints on. 

1 hour ago, helpisgood said:

Fully agree!

My ancestors risked a very long trip in 19th century Europe and across the Atlantic to escape oppression.  And, I am sure that there are, as Chomper correctly pointed out, many other Americans who have the same or similar family stories.  In fact, it is part of the bond that makes us American despite our different ethnic backgrounds. 

However, I must confess, my ancestors were not escaping from a country that the USA had seriously meddled with and thus led to a dysfunctional government.  So, it's a bit rich for Americans today to demonize these Central American peoples who are doing their best to escape from serious problems that America, with the help of greedy and unsavory locals, have their fingerprints on. 

Of course, but remember that was a different time and what your ancestors did was legal. Around the world, economic migrants bypass countries that offer safe asylum traveling thousands of miles not for reasons of safety but economic betterment. Of course understandable. She should have waited patiently and safely for her application to be heard. 

Ulic

Fully agree!

Lets not have to bring it up most Americans are from immigrants that is common knowledge ok.

But all those 19 century refugees went through the proper process. and did not try and run a border is a big difference. 

Perhaps if your ancestors would have tried the border run you would be not be here speaking as an American but would be back in your home country. But I am sure they went through the proper immigration and followed the rules.

These people are online trying to run a border why should any one any where give them a second chance. They have proven their character and it is not what America wants or needs nor does any other country.

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Some people really don’t get it donald isn't letting anyone apply sorry it doesn't fit what you want it to be but the fact is they aren’t accepting applications btw do you think even for a heartbeat that these people take this journey lightly crossing a hostile dangerous county really?a mother with children really?

Both international and US law require that asylum seekers be permitted to apply.
There is a lot of BS being said in support of Trump admin's illegal actions in this matter. Yes, illegal.

Simply put, at what point does the legal citizens of any country have a right to say enough with immigration? 

I agree that most citizens within the USA have family members who migrated to the USA.  I ask does that make it right for any and all to migrate to the USA at any time, without being put thru a legal process to ensure they will not become a burden to all the citizens?

Do the USA citizens have to wear Yellow Vest to have there voices heard, do they have to burn down and destroy their cities to seek redress of their grievances?

Ahhhh guys and gals it’s legal to apply for asylum Donald refuses to accept applications just to give you a reality check no one I know thinks thease people should break the law trying to enter the USA so let’s fix the law Donald doesent have the votes for his wall let’s move on and fix what we have and stop attacking each other and immigrants 

9 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

True, but my great grandparents came legally. They came first to Ellis Island. They were admitted after a vetting process and medical evaluation. They didn't just rush the border.

On 12/18/2018 at 9:02 PM, Longcut said:

True, but my great grandparents came legally. They came first to Ellis Island. They were admitted after a vetting process and medical evaluation. They didn't just rush the border.

The generation you mention is the generation that made America great. What America needs is immigration like that again to get things going. Not illegals running a border and living of tax payers, or crime.

Archived