Residence certificate at Immigration

Hey Andrew. I was at chaenwattana a few weeks ago getting the 60 day extension on my non imm o (thai kid). Since i was there i thought i could get the cert of residence - as i want to get my thai dl also. When i got to the desk the officer looked at my passport and said i cant get it because i need the one year extension. Is this correct? I have friends got res certs on just tourist visas. Makes no sense to me as its just a doc confirming ur address. I know i can get a letter from the uk embassy but its over 2k. Did i just get a difficult officer?

2 minutes ago, warrima said:

Hey Andrew. I was at chaenwattana a few weeks ago getting the 60 day extension on my non imm o (thai kid). Since i was there i thought i could get the cert of residence - as i want to get my thai dl also. When i got to the desk the officer looked at my passport and said i cant get it because i need the one year extension. Is this correct? I have friends got res certs on just tourist visas. Makes no sense to me as its just a doc confirming ur address. I know i can get a letter from the uk embassy but its over 2k. Did i just get a difficult officer?

You have to be doing 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana immigration to get a certificate of residency. Been that way for several years.

Not sure to be honest.

I know people have got res certs for buying or selling cars/mc’s without one year ext ( according to posts on here ) , but not sure if you can get a Thai DL without.

Hopefully someone will come along who can answer your question .

EDIT: I see Ubonjoe has answered your question .

20 minutes ago, warrima said:

Is a trip to the embassy my only option Joe? 

That is about the only option in Bangkok.

There have been reports that some police stations and amphoes will do one but as far as I know there are none in Bangkok that will do it.