Revealed: the special button that allows bent taxi drivers to rip off customers

webfact

Revealed: the special button that allows bent taxi drivers to rip off customers

9pm1.jpg

An online video showed what one taxi driver was doing to rip off his customers.

He had rigged up a special "red button" that he pressed while driving.

The button - hidden under duct tape and attached to an arm behind the steering wheel column - was pressed to increase distance traveled. 

A young policeman at the airport explained the modus operandi. 

The driver made a poor effort at mitigation.

After being pressed by a reporter to admit the extent of his wrong doing he said:

"I didn't press it all the time. I sometimes just added 20 baht or so!". 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-20

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to go a regular route to Sukhumvit over 5 years years ago. The price was always around 100-110 baht. One day I noticed the meter flying up - the amount was over 200 baht. I told the taxi driver that his meter was rigged and I'm just paying 100 baht. He didn't say a word. Just took the money and I got out. 

I guess tourists wouldn't have a clue. 

LOS = Land of scans. I predicted this 5 years ago as the tourists refuse to return after being dual priced, scammed, robbed, ripped off. Spiked drinks. With rats and filth everywhere (and that is just the pepole) The me me me me attitude would kill the tourism trade and the desperation would set in with the scams and ripoffs becoming more blatant as Thais fight amongst themselves for the few bhat they an steal from unsuspecting tourists. Watch the next two or three years as the place turns into a battleground. 

3 minutes ago, NaaKap said:

LOS = Land of scans. I predicted this 5 years ago as the tourists refuse to return after being dual priced, scammed, robbed, ripped off. Spiked drinks. With rats and filth everywhere (and that is just the pepole) The me me me me attitude would kill the tourism trade and the desperation would set in with the scams and ripoffs becoming more blatant as Thais fight amongst themselves for the few bhat they an steal from unsuspecting tourists. Watch the next two or three years as the place turns into a battleground. 

This only happens in tourist destinations. I've never experienced this behaviour that you describe.

But I keep reading the "big wigs" saying tourists will be protected. 

So what will happen to this fare thief ?

Screwing over his customers.

Is he proud of himself ? Does he tell his friends and family ?

Does he look the foreigners in the eye when they pay him their extorted fare ?

Piece of ****.

Thai Taxi driver cheating someone NEVER. But I do like the one where I have a 100 baht note and the Taxi Driver says he  does not have change.

Ya right and the moon is made of cheese. They think you will get fed up and say keep the 40 baht

Bull I will do what it takes to make sure I get the money

Sometimes I say to them Gee if you don't have the change then how can I pay you? They find the change very fast

Reminds me of the Chinese Olympics I think it was where some shonky Chinese taxis drivers had rigged a system whereby every time they tooted the horn the meter rolled over faster.

I am surprised the Thais haven't woken up to that one but I guess by tooting the horn in Bangkok they run the risk of getting a bullet in their head or hacked to pieces by a machete by some crazed drug affected maniac.

1 hour ago, sgoodes said:

I don't use taxis anymore as I said on a post previously they are greedy. 

Had a crook leg a while ago and couldn't walk too far so I had to get home. Taxi from Central Rd & Soi Bhuakao to Naklua wanted 400 baht. 

Another one wanted 1800 to take me to the airport.

Why didn't you ask/offer the driver an amount that you'd be comfortable with? That's what I do on the very rare circumstances I use a taxi, can't believe those rigged meters.

Take the police off all road & transport duties & have a separate force set up by the land transport office to take over. Get them out on the roads in mufti cars which can be funded by road taxes instead of all just going into the consolidated account & start doing some real policing work instead of just turning a blind eye 

1 hour ago, sgoodes said:

I don't use taxis anymore as I said on a post previously they are greedy. 

Had a crook leg a while ago and couldn't walk too far so I had to get home. Taxi from Central Rd & Soi Bhuakao to Naklua wanted 400 baht. 

Another one wanted 1800 to take me to the airport.

Took a cab all the way from Rambuttri Road all the way to Swampy for ฿410     Helpful great friendly driver, loved to talk.. Tipped him ฿200 .....  

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to go a regular route to Sukhumvit over 5 years years ago. The price was always around 100-110 baht. One day I noticed the meter flying up - the amount was over 200 baht. I told the taxi driver that his meter was rigged and I'm just paying 100 baht. He didn't say a word. Just took the money and I got out. 

I guess tourists wouldn't have a clue. 

Yep. I've had the same experience. Just told the driver what I was giving him and he didn't even try to complain. But yeah, a tourist would be easy pickings.

Archived