City Law Enforcement Officials To Be Transferred Every Two Years

Jai Dee

City Law Enforcement officials to be transferred every two years

Director of the City Law Enforcement Department will be transferring the department’s officials every two year to prevent them from possible kickbacks offered by street vendors.

Director of the City Law Enforcement Department, Theerachai Theansanchai (ธีระชัย เธียรสรรชัย) said that officials who will be transferred are chiefs of the City Law Enforcement units of all districts in Bangkok. According to Mr Theerachai, most of the officials who work in the same district for a long time demand kickbacks from street vendors, behave like mafia, and even neglect their duty. Reports show that incidents of kickbacks occur at areas such as Klong Lod (คลองหลอด) and Bo Bae areas.

The last transfer took place on 2001 and about 50 percent of the City Law officials were relocated.

The director said that the transfer will prevent the officials from developing personal relationships with street vendors, resulting in the officials’ negligence of duty and bribe.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 20 Febuary 2007

I have a little different idea...Set up a real Internal Affairs Dept within the police and arrest these officers for taking bribes, prosecute them and when convicted, throw them in jail...And every time this happens, make sure everyone that is in the business of giving or taking bribes knows of the consequences..

Reports show that incidents of kickbacks occur at areas such as Klong Lod (คลองหลอด) and Bo Bae areas. all over the country

First day on the new assignment:

-OK, here's the list and how much you charge them.

Thanks, here's your 100,000 baht.

_ I'm outa here, off to my new assignment, got work to do, already have my list :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

I have a little different idea...Set up a real Internal Affairs Dept within the police and arrest these officers for taking bribes, prosecute them and when convicted, throw them in jail...And every time this happens, make sure everyone that is in the business of giving or taking bribes knows of the consequences..

Great idea. A good honest solution to a problem.

(Of course it will be lambasted as ridiculous by many on this forum.)