Police arrest man and woman over Gatwick drone disruption

rooster59

On 12/28/2018 at 10:39 AM, 7by7 said:

As I said, it was

about the possibility of there not being any drones. Possibility, not probability; a remote possibility. A possibility now discounted following the many reported sightings and discovery of the damaged drone.

In further news:

https://inews.co.uk/news/police-admit-drones-gatwick-airport-sightings/

Two drones found by police during searches near the airport have now been ruled out of involvement.

Police admit some Gatwick Airport drone sightings may have been police drones

So some of the sightings were the police's own drones! Whoops. And the discovery of the damaged drones was meaningless.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:17 AM, evadgib said:

As happened to law abiding gun owners after Hungerford and Dunblane yet firearms use has increased among the sort for whom the rules never apply.

There was a gun amnesty in Australia years ago after the massacre in Tasmania, paid for of course by the taxpayer with a levy on the Medicare payment.

What these people in government do not understand is that criminals and perhaps mentally disturbed people don’t usually have registered guns.

I might add that I don’t support the idea of people being able to own firearms unless for “employment etc“ but that’s another topic.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:26 PM, nkg said:

So tell us, 7by7, why weren't there any pictures or video footage of the drones?

These drones were not hovering at the terminal windows inviting people to photograph them!

Have you ever tried to photograph or film a flying, erratically moving small object which is several 100 metres or more away from you? It is not easy getting such objects into shot and then keeping them there. As this video, taken at the time at Gatwick, shows.

Although, as the police say they have no film of the actual drones causing the disruption, I assume they have discounted this particular object.

16 hours ago, nkg said:

So some of the sightings were the police's own drones!

Some, not all!

Yes, the police were using drones to try and find those flying the rogue drones. Anyone paying attention to the UK radio and TV news reports at the time knows that!

16 hours ago, nkg said:

And the discovery of the damaged drones was meaningless.

They have now been eliminated from enquiries, yes. But that does not prove your theory that there were no drones.

Tell us, if there were no drones, except the police ones, what do you think over 100 people saw flying over Gatwick? Little green men from Alpha Centauri?

The whole thing is straight-up bizarre at this point.  First there are drones, OMG, drones.  Now, maybe no drones.  I find it hard to believe planes were grounded for three days over people's hallucinations.  

I too think it would be difficult to photograph/video them, but I find it very hard to believe no one *tried*, that there aren't photos and videos going around saying "yeah, it's on there somewhere!"  People photo/video *everything* in this day and age, and as someone else said, people stuck at the airport would be specifically watching out for them!  And not just random people who you maybe could accuse of getting into some herd mentality of "oh yeah I see it too!" and would swear the emperor's got clothes on... I assume the police and other authorities were also looking, or did they all hallucinate, too?

And... "some drones may have been police drones"?  They didn't know they were flying them in the area?  When someone said "OMG IT'S  A DRONE!" nobody else said "well duh, PC Brown's got one up"?

And... they found crashed drones but they weren't involved.  Then where did they come from?  Who just leaves an expensive piece of electronics lying around?  (Okay, fine, I know human nature-- some idiot crashed their drone, figured it was totaled and hence had no more use for it, couldn't possibly bother to pick up their own trash.)  Who, then, was apparently illegally flying drones near the airport without them being spotted, at some point in the past?

Maybe the fact that I've not read all of the news stories is what makes it all seem weird to me, but...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

These drones were not hovering at the terminal windows inviting people to photograph them!

Have you ever tried to photograph or film a flying, erratically moving small object which is several 100 metres or more away from you? It is not easy getting such objects into shot and then keeping them there. As this video, taken at the time at Gatwick, shows.

Although, as the police say they have no film of the actual drones causing the disruption, I assume they have discounted this particular object.

Some, not all!

Yes, the police were using drones to try and find those flying the rogue drones. Anyone paying attention to the UK radio and TV news reports at the time knows that!

They have now been eliminated from enquiries, yes. But that does not prove your theory that there were no drones.

Tell us, if there were no drones, except the police ones, what do you think over 100 people saw flying over Gatwick? Little green men from Alpha Centauri?

It was originally the police's theory, not mine. They may have later backtracked, but that doesn't mean that the original observation wasn't valid.

As I pointed out before, when you ask a large number of people to look for something small, distant, and difficult to see, you will get a lot of false positives.

As I also said before, the initial sightings may well have been drones. Once the airport was closed and the police and army were looking for them 24/7, I don't see how drones could have continued to fly into Gatwick without being photographed or videoed. I expect the army have rather good equipment for detecting and photographing/videoing drones.

3 minutes ago, nkg said:

It was originally the police's theory, not mine. They may have later backtracked, but that doesn't mean that the original observation wasn't valid.

One police officer said that they should consider the possibility that there were no drones.

consider
/kənˈsɪdə/
verb
verb: consider; 3rd person present: considers; past tense: considered; past participle: considered; gerund or present participle: considering
  1. 1.
    think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision

Think about, not take as a concrete fact.

possibility
/ˌpɒsɪˈbɪlɪti/
noun
noun: possibility; plural noun: possibilities
  1. a thing that may happen or be the case

May be, not definitely is.

Yet you and others leapt on this one remark by one officer as definitive proof of your ridiculous conspiracy theories.

6 minutes ago, nkg said:

I expect the army have rather good equipment for detecting and photographing/videoing drones.

It must have escaped your notice, but as soon as the army became involved the overflights stopped!

Carry on living in your dream world, but unless you actually have something rational to say instead of your usual fantasy, I wont be responding any more.

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

One police officer said that they should consider the possibility that there were no drones.

consider
/kənˈsɪdə/
verb
verb: consider; 3rd person present: considers; past tense: considered; past participle: considered; gerund or present participle: considering
  1. 1.
    think carefully about (something), typically before making a decision

Think about, not take as a concrete fact.

possibility
/ˌpɒsɪˈbɪlɪti/
noun
noun: possibility; plural noun: possibilities
  1. a thing that may happen or be the case

May be, not definitely is.

Yet you and others leapt on this one remark by one officer as definitive proof of your ridiculous conspiracy theories.

It must have escaped your notice, but as soon as the army became involved the overflights stopped!

Carry on living in your dream world, but unless you actually have something rational to say instead of your usual fantasy, I wont be responding any more.

I am sorry you won't be continuing the discussion, as I found your comments interesting.

My own comments were intended to be made as part of a good-natured discussion. If we all agreed with one another, life would be rather dull.

8 hours ago, nkg said:

As I pointed out before, when you ask a large number of people to look for something small, distant, and difficult to see, you will get a lot of false positives.

As I also said before, the initial sightings may well have been drones. Once the airport was closed and the police and army were looking for them 24/7, I don't see how drones could have continued to fly into Gatwick without being photographed or videoed. I expect the army have rather good equipment for detecting and photographing/videoing drones.

Could be, but I also don't see how police and army all could have mistakenly thought they saw drones where there were none, to cause continued closure.

• Like 1

More stupidity from a drone pilot.

Man arrested for 'flying drone off tower on Severn Bridge'

A force spokesman said: “Officers attended the M48 Severn Bridge at 8.10am this morning after concerns were raised for a man who appeared to have climbed one of the towers and was flying a drone off it.

“The man, aged in his 20s, came down from the tower voluntarily and has since been arrested for causing a public nuisance.”

Drone-obsessed adults need to grow up and stop causing havoc for people with their flying toys.

Quite.

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Game, set, and match.

It has been proven that drones exist. Although, isn't your post off topic? It doesn't have much to do with the terribly frightening drones at Gatwick Airport that really, really threatened the UK.

I'm going to quote your link from the Independent newspaper:

Drone-obsessed adults need to grow up and stop causing havoc for people with their flying toy

Less than two weeks after apparent drone activity forced the closure of Gatwick Airport

apparent
/əˈpar(ə)nt/
adjective
adjective: apparent

1. seeming real or true, but not necessarily so.
    "his apparent lack of concern"
      seeming, ostensible, outward, superficial, surface, supposed, presumed, so-called, alleged, professed, avowed, declared, claimed, purported, pretended, feigned;
    rareostensive
    "his apparent lack of concern"

Edited by nkg
clarity