Jump to content

AMLO seizes ‘Phoenix’, plans to sell by auction


webfact

Recommended Posts

AMLO seizes ‘Phoenix’, plans to sell by auction

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

 

S__7618563-1024x768.jpg

 

The Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) has seized the ‘Phoenix’ which will now be sold by auction.

 

The Thai Immigration Bureau Chief, Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn, has already confirmed that many aspects of the ‘Phoenix’ design and operation were substandard.

 

The issues which made Phoenix illegal and substandard are mostly fixable, including proper marine-grade glass, marine-grade propulsion, proper bulkhead doors, ballasting and approved safety equipment.

 

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/amlo-seizes-phoenix-plans-to-sell-by-auction

 
thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-26
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

The issues which made Phoenix illegal and substandard are mostly fixable, including proper marine-grade glass, marine-grade propulsion, proper bulkhead doors, ballasting and approved safety equipment.

Fixable .! Are they having a laugh .. Look at the state of it .. And if it were " fixed " up who would really want to go aboard that again knowing its history .. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scrap metal value, it will cost more to haul it to the wreckers yard than what they will get for it sold as scrap metal at 1 baht a kg...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a popular auction... if moved to another country, change the name of the vessel, camouflage or change the appearance....etc.  Not many superstitious Thai, Chinese (or otherwise) will touch it with a 10ft pole....jinx anyone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Thai Immigration Bureau Chief, Lt Gen Surachate Hakparn, has already confirmed that many aspects of the ‘Phoenix’ design and operation were substandard.

 

He's involved because the Phoenix is to Thai immigration what the Mayflower was to the Pilgrims, yes.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Sounds like a popular auction... if moved to another country, change the name of the vessel, camouflage or change the appearance....etc.  Not many superstitious Thai, Chinese (or otherwise) will touch it with a 10ft pole....jinx anyone?

 

Wanna bet it doesn't end up back in service in Thailand somewhere down the road...  Knowing this place, nothing would surprise me anymore....   :ph34r:

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Scrap metal value, it will cost more to haul it to the wreckers yard than what they will get for it sold as scrap metal at 1 baht a kg...

How much metal is in it, it is constructed with fibre glass I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For sale A luxury boat, only 1 useless owner, not done much work.

Been parked up for a few months protected from wind and rain, few minor scratches easily sorted, just needs a bit of T-cut.

Get your offer in quickly many Chinese business people interested.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they want to appease the not surprising wrath of the Chinese tourists here, the families who lost loved ones when the preventable tragedy happened and potential tourists and the Chinese government, seems to me the right thing to do is ensure it can never sail again - break it up / scrap it, blow it up or whatever.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If they want to appease the not surprising wrath of the Chinese tourists here, the families who lost loved ones when the preventable tragedy happened and potential tourists and the Chinese government, seems to me the right thing to do is ensure it can never sail again - break it up / scrap it, blow it up or whatever.

I really think the Chinese tourists or authorities don't care, and the families of those perished won't know. Future tourists will be herded on the boat they were sold their trip on, and nobody will know which boat or what happened to it.

 

Does anybody know what happened to the real owner of the tour company involved? When this was starting to unfold he fled to China, leaving his wife hang out to dry here, gave a newspaper interview and afaik he is still a free man in China.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) has seized the ‘Phoenix’ which will now be sold by auction.

The Laundry Office should not forget to have some monks get rid of the ghosts before selling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How can ANY Government honestly sell a as they call it a illegally modified sub-standard boat by auction.

They will be complicit IF that boat is remodified to fix any of the faults. 

They should at the very least sell it for scrap or just destroy it themselves. 

Just goes to show here the Thai Govt are almost as stupid as the boat owners themselves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Sounds like a popular auction... if moved to another country, change the name of the vessel, camouflage or change the appearance....etc.  Not many superstitious Thai, Chinese (or otherwise) will touch it with a 10ft pole....jinx anyone?

Yes indeed - a real "Ghost Ship".  Probably be recycled in a Bangladeshi ship yard and "rise" as an Indonesian Ferry!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...