TM30 - reporting address

On 12/26/2018 at 4:39 PM, rumak said:

Actually.... MOST  immig offices PRESENTLY only want you to report  when re-entering the country from abroad

Can confirm for Chiang Mai. We tried to report after a few days road trip to Sukothai and that lady looked at us like we were crazy, said no need unless new departure card.

Following this and other TM30 threads with growing interest.  I have lived in Thailand for eight years now and I have never had anything to do with TM30s before. I am now reading that Jomtien immigration are requiring a TM30 receipt as part of the visa extension documents. My last extension was done in April and, as with all previous extensions, some proof of residence was required but no mention of TM30. I have owned my own condo for 7 years now. I guess I'll have to deal with this new requirement before next year's renewal.

Now I'm not a critic of Thailand. I live in their country and endeavour to do so legally. I was under the impression that the TM30 legislation had fallen by the wayside somewhat, particularly for owner/occupiers. Not so, it would appear. Now I doubt that my lifestyle is unique. As stated, I own my own condo. We (my wife, son and I) have a house in Isaan. I spend a lot of time there but everything I have (bank account, vehicles etc.) is registered at my Jomtien condo and it's the address I use for all dealings with authority such as visa extensions, driving licences, 90 day reports etc. Now I generally spend a week or so a month in my condo and I travel abroad four or five times a year. I have calculated that, if I complied fully with the TM30 regulations, I or my wife would have to do a notification at an immigration office around 30 times a year. Our house is in a province that doesn't have an immigration office so my wife would have to spend a day driving to Udon Thani to report me every time that I arrive in the village. Do you think that happens? No, me neither! There has never been any sort of problem in eight years and I guess that, should there ever be, we will smile and pay the fine.

Now, as I stated, I am not a "Thai basher'. I love this country and the lifestyle that I have and I am grateful to be able to live this way. When I was working back in the UK I was involved in the enforcement of regulations. But (and this is not a Thai-specific comment) legislators anywhere should have a responsibility to frame legislation so as it is easy and practical for people to comply with, that it deals with a specific proven problem and is enforced consistently. I am at a loss to see why legislation that has fallen into disuse for so long has now been resurrected and enforced with such apparent zeal. I am also surprised that, if full compliance is required, then in this day and age there is no online facility. if it took a couple of minutes each time on a keyboard or smartphone my wife and I would happily comply with the regulations in full.  As I remember from my working life, the easier you make it for people, the more they will comply - even if it involves paying fines!        

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sniggie said:

Following this and other TM30 threads with growing interest

Read your (long) post ......... here is my take on what to do:   #!  Anytime you go from Jomtien to Isaan or somewhere in Thailand you don't have to do anything.  If staying at hotel just have your wife sign in.  Even if its you travelling alone immig doesn't know (and in MOST locations care) about your travels,

#2 :  BUT if you need to do something at immig like extension of visa or proof of address ( for driv lic or whatever) then MANY immig offices , and i think Jomtien is one, will want to know where your tm30 is.

For all of us been here for years and have yellow books or own condos or live in wifes house it sounds crazy.......but crazy is in EVERY country, more so than even thailand IMHO.   So, the worst that can happen is you get a one time "fine".....probably 1600 baht.   After that it is only necessary to report to imm. to update tm30 when returning from ABROAD.   Do not have to do when just vacationing or visiting within Thailand.

To sum it up.......wait till you need to go to immigration.   Then plead ignorance and pay the fine.  Then try to keep it up to date