Why Do Threads Die?

qwertz

Do they simply atrophy or are they done to death? And where do they go post mortem?

Some people (certainly not me) may suggest that they become monopolised by the "in crowd", that august group of senior members (whom I revere highly) with their cryptic comments that leave us intoxicated by the velocity of their verbosity as we wait with bated breath for their next salvo of lightning repartee.

Is there too little room for political incorrectness? Is political correctness perhaps responsible for these untimely thread demises?

Is the forum merely a platform from which one can cry for help or reach out and offer a helping hand to his fellow man (or woman or lady man)?

Or is it a treasure trove of invaluable pearls of wisdom born of the synergy generated by this erudite meeting of minds and sought out by thinking persons worldwide?

Do they simply atrophy or are they done to death? And where do they go post mortem?

Some people (certainly not me) may suggest that they become monopolised by the "in crowd", that august group of senior members (whom I revere highly) with their cryptic comments that leave us intoxicated by the velocity of their verbosity as we wait with bated breath for their next salvo of lightning repartee.

Is there too little room for political incorrectness? Is political correctness perhaps responsible for these untimely thread demises?

Is the forum merely a platform from which one can cry for help or reach out and offer a helping hand to his fellow man (or woman or lady man)?

Or is it a treasure trove of invaluable pearls of wisdom born of the synergy generated by this erudite meeting of minds and sought out by thinking persons worldwide?

Try getting the last word with Mid, some threads never die. :o

Oh help me! Help me! Help me!

Is "erudite" the same thing as "ludite"?

Chownah

...uh, no, I think it's a closer kin to kryptonite. Makes you pass out if Super Posters get too much of it. :D

The OP's language was so lofty, the thoughts so hi-so, the kryptonite...er...erudite air so rarified and thin. I almost passed out from light-headedness after reading it... :o

chawp Mach.. Mach.....

chawp Mach.. Mach.....

yes, but don't you think "their verboselocity" flows much better than "the velocity of their verbosity"?

Is this true, Mid? Or do I detect here the tiniest suggestion of jealousy from Robski of your rhetorical skills?

Mid - Rhetoric? Never, he can't even finish a..........

Cryptic? Most certainly always.

Edited by Robski

Oh help me! Help me! Help me!

Is "erudite" the same thing as "ludite"?

Chownah

Tut tut, chownah. Platinum member and you haven't yet mastered Thai? "ludite" is Thai for "think too mutt"

P.S. Sorry TITANIUM member. All rare metals look the same to me, not being Thai.

Edited by qwertz

I suppose I supplied my own answer to this question. Apart from the friendly banter which gives me hours of amusement, many threads are being killed by angry, mud slinging posts. A forum by definition was a place for public speaking and debate, not for petulant displays of rage. Note the number of recently closed down threads and read the reasons why.

Three theories:

1) Old threads never die, they are just re-born again. Must be that the threads are Buddhist, or that they are weeds and will never go away.

2) The best way to make a thread go away in my expereince is to answer it logically and with a reasoned and referenced argument. This works especially on the threads where paranoia sets in where an OP things that the world (ie Thailand) is against them. You spell out how things work here (really work and based on real life expereince) and then people tend to shut up and move on to their next complaint.

3) We moderators take the thread out the back of the shed and shoot it down like a dead dog. They then go to thread heaven.

If they're not closed down, then eventually everyone who had any interest in putting their point of view on a thread, will do so. Then it dies, a peaceful quiet death in it's own bed while asleep. Unless, of course, a few years down the line, a newbie resurrects it, to the delight of other newbies, who have not previously witnessed the eloquence of thought & wit of word, that the thread displays, and all herald its rising from the dead.... Verbose enough for you? :o

3) We moderators take the thread out the back of the shed and shoot it down like a dead dog. They then go to thread heaven.

Not like a dead dog, samran, I like dogs :o

How about like a dead troll? And then they go to troll he!! :D

If they're not closed down, then eventually everyone who had any interest in putting their point of view on a thread, will do so. Then it dies, a peaceful quiet death in it's own bed while asleep. Unless, of course, a few years down the line, a newbie resurrects it, to the delight of other newbies, who have not previously witnessed the eloquence of thought & wit of word, that the thread displays, and all herald its rising from the dead.... Verbose enough for you? :o

Phooooooooooooooow! Heavy stuff! I rest my case.

Old threads do not die, they simply slip off the first page.

When you are looking at the list of threads, look at the bottom of the page.

There are some numbers in square boxes 2,3 etc.

These are the older pages in order and all the posts are there.

As far as I know it is complete archive..........

Look back and you will see, or do a Search for a particular topic.

A thread gets pushed back to the top of the list as soon as someone posts to it. :o

Old threads do not die, they simply slip off the first page.

When you are looking at the list of threads, look at the bottom of the page.

There are some numbers in square boxes 2,3 etc.

These are the older pages in order and all the posts are there.

As far as I know it is complete archive..........

Look back and you will see, or do a Search for a particular topic.

A thread gets pushed back to the top of the list as soon as someone posts to it. :o

Thanks astral, I modified my view in my current posts and meant the ones that get killed by trolls etc. I was remarking on the number of closed down threads (and rightly so) due to unpleasantness, unsuitability or lack of useful information.

As for the remainder, excellent.

Yes :D

P.S. Asking too many questions could be hazardous to your health :o

Edited by OlRedEyes

Yes :D

P.S. Asking too many questions could be hazardous to your health :D

:o