Hotel room rates remain stagnant whilst Airbnb continues to grow in Thailand

webfact

Hotel room rates remain stagnant whilst Airbnb continues to grow in Thailand

By The Thaiger

Screen-Shot-2016-05-26-at-4.26.05-pm-102

PHOTO: Airbnb

As the head-scratching continues as to why traveller aren’t drinking expensive beers in girlie bars and avoiding ‘traditional’ tourist haunts, Airbnb has a record year in Thailand, signaling more problems for the hotel business as tourists seek alternative holiday experiences.

As the number of guests continues to trend upwards with more than 1.65 million inbound Airbnb guests to Thailand the past year, the accommodation-share platform sees more locals wanting to be a part of the sharing economy.

TravelWireAsia.com is reporting that locals are starting to see the benefit that hosting brings thanks to international tourists who are now conscious of traveling in a more healthy and sustainable way.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/hotel-room-rates-remain-stagnant-whilst-airbnb-continues-to-grow-in-thailand

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-12-27
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Strictly speaking, hotels should remain unaffected as its against the law to rent condos less than a month.

Anyone paying a nightly rate for one month in a hotel needs head examined

Very few rooms get rented for over a week in the Hua Hin condo I'm in. Maybe a crackdown on the flaunting of the Hotel Act will be the next thing to thin the ranks of the expat in Thailand, along with the compulsory insurance and visa funding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CGW said:

I don't foresee much of a future for Airbnb in Thailand, taking money away from the "Elite" hotel owners, no taxes or VAT paid, how long before they are deemed illegal, or has that already happened?

Despite having unenforced laws, it’s not going anywhere. The times have changed and it’s a better service than 95% of the hotels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Despite having unenforced laws, it’s not going anywhere. The times have changed and it’s a better service than 95% of the hotels.

I'm not disputing the fact they have better service and are better value than hotels, but we have seen the extents that the ruling "elites" go to in Thailand to hang onto the money, having the government removed is nothing to them, removing street vendors from outside their expensive real estate easy done, if they let Airbnb prosper I for one will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2

I'm surprised they allow you. Where I'm living in Bkk, the penalty, if caught, is 10,000 baht per day. The condo management takes the owner to court.
Monthly rent is legal. I only rent per month

Plenty break the law but renting daily is chaotic, not to mention arrivals and departures at all hours and bnb guests are EXTREMELY needy. They know their review will make or break you

I'm not disputing the fact they have better service and are better value than hotels, but we have seen the extents that the ruling "elites" go to in Thailand to hang onto the money, having the government removed is nothing to them, removing street vendors from outside their expensive real estate easy done, if they let Airbnb prosper I for one will be pleasantly surprised.
No way to police it. Ain't gonna happen
  • Like 1

Head scratching!

Why?

Thailand has become too expensive, with poor customer service coupled with rude attitudes, poorly maintained accommodation, filthy streets, whereby most farang get openly ripped off with the two tear pricing and abused for being a foreigner having no rights or very little, not forgetting the pathetic visa regulations, health and safety with the Police targeting farang for tea money.

110 THB for a small bottle of beer in a third world progressive country. Equate that to your own money. Come on! Day light robbery.

The list goes on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nearly all the responses here so far are from people who are either hosting their own condo on AirBnB or talking about people they know who are doing this. And there's a general thinking that hotels are suffering because of this. But it's not just about condos.

I've spent a lot of time in the last 6 months, not as a host but actually scanning and *looking* for AirBnB places to stay - studying what's on offer and at what price. And there are hundreds of plain, ordinary little hotels advertising their rooms. 

These aren't the huge 4-or 5-star hotels which are said to be suffering, but the small sidestreet family places which all big cities are riddled with - not to mention the thousands of small beach hotels and resorts all around the coasts.

They're listed with online booking agents like Agoda and also cashing on on the AirBnB craze and getting it both ways.

Whether it's against the rules or not I reckon that AirBnB is actually a godsend for small hotels and resorts everywhere - no trace of doom on their horizon at all!

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Can someone explain to me what is either healthy or sustainable about residential condos and other unregulated buildings being used as short-term hotel accommodation, with no taxes being paid and no safety rules being applied?

Well it explains why tat sais there are 38 million visitors and why hotels are empty.

So its just a ploy to further the case of billions of visitors comming. No i cant explain the questions.

I've used Airbnb a few times but have run into a few issues. Firstly, the room owner can cancel a booking with no financial penalty, unlike the guest who, even with free cancellation, has to pay at least the service fees to Airbnb. This has happened to me and it's very annoying trying to find a new place at the last minute. All that happens for the owner is a comment on the review page that he/she cancelled the room.

Last year I booked Airbnbs in Japan. The Japanese Govenment suddenly introduced a law stating that all short term rental acommodation needed a licence. Airbnb removed all their Japanese listings, only reinstating them when a licence number had been issued. Both my places were affected and although Airbnb offered generous terms to guest whose plans had been upset, it was extrememly difficult to find alternatives, especially with most owners that received their licence realising rooms were now at a premium and raising prices accordingly. This could happen in Thailand and elsewhere. Great opportunity for a little corruption for the expediting of licences!

• Like 1

I've used Airbnb a few times but have run into a few issues. Firstly, the room owner can cancel a booking with no financial penalty, unlike the guest who, even with free cancellation, has to pay at least the service fees to Airbnb. This has happened to me and it's very annoying trying to find a new place at the last minute. All that happens for the owner is a comment on the review page that he/she cancelled the room.

Last year I booked Airbnbs in Japan. The Japanese Govenment suddenly introduced a law stating that all short term rental acommodation needed a licence. Airbnb removed all their Japanese listings, only reinstating them when a licence number had been issued. Both my places were affected and although Airbnb offered generous terms to guest whose plans had been upset, it was extrememly difficult to find alternatives, especially with most owners that received their licence realising rooms were now at a premium and raising prices accordingly. This could happen in Thailand and elsewhere. Great opportunity for a little corruption for the expediting of licences!

Wrong. Air bnb owners are penalized for pulling a reservation
If it happens several times then they are banned for life
Did you really think that air bnb would let them off the hook?
It's a multi billion dollar success story and for good reason.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Wrong. Air bnb owners are penalized for pulling a reservation
If it happens several times then they are banned for life
Did you really think that air bnb would let them off the hook?
It's a multi billion dollar success story and for good reason.

Sorry. I was told this by someone and I have now seen that there are fees involved, though under certain circumstances they are waived, and, as you said, Airbnb get quite strict with perrenial cancellers. I'd advise anyone to avoid those properties that do have a tendency to cancel, though. You can see it in the reviews.

58 minutes ago, madmitch said:

The host pays $100 cancellation fee

14 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Sorry. I was told this by someone and I have now seen that there are fees involved, though under certain circumstances they are waived, and, as you said, Airbnb get quite strict with perrenial cancellers. I'd advise anyone to avoid those properties that do have a tendency to cancel, though. You can see it in the reviews.

Look through the calendar it also shows booking "Cancelled by the Host" 

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've used Airbnb a few times but have run into a few issues. Firstly, the room owner can cancel a booking with no financial penalty, unlike the guest who, even with free cancellation, has to pay at least the service fees to Airbnb. This has happened to me and it's very annoying trying to find a new place at the last minute.

I've never booked anything via AirBnB though I have glanced at their listings on occasions. I've mostly been put off by obligatory cleaning charges and other extras that are applied on top of the headline daily rate. Requests for payment in advance by bank transfer, or awkward check-in requirements (limited hours, or having to phone ahead) have also put me off.

I compare that with Booking.com/Hotel.com where I can book a room at a fixed price with no surprise extras and pay for it by credit card with one click of the mouse, and all with 24 hour check-in. I must have spent around 5,000USD with them over the last couple of years and have not had a single problem with messed-up bookings or bad rooms.

• Like 2