Large no-entry signs in Thappraya Road

KittenKong

Today I noticed half a dozen very large "no entry" banners awaiting deployment in several places along Thappraya Road, from before the junction with Thepprasit right up to the top of the hill, and on both sides of the road. The text read "no entry between 15.00 and 02.00" in both languages, but didnt say (in English) which day or why, or if it was for one day or more.

I suppose it could be related to the road/junction painting that was done recently, or maybe not.

Does anyone know?

28 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Maybe getting them ready for the New Year's Eve celebrations?

Maybe they hope to avoid the complete traffic mayhem/gridlock for the New Year festival at Bali Hai?

From last year there were videos where people could barely walk (more like being pushed around) not to speak of any traffic on wheels.

56 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Maybe getting them ready for the New Year's Eve celebrations?

I wondered about that also but:

1. It seems a bit early.

2. They only seem to be in that particular stretch of Thappraya Road (though maybe they just havent put them out elsewhere yet: see 1 above).

3. I dont remember that road being closed last year. And if they do close it, where will all the traffic go?

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I wondered about that also but:

1. It seems a bit early.

2. They only seem to be in that particular stretch of Thappraya Road (though maybe they just havent put them out elsewhere yet: see 1 above).

3. I dont remember that road being closed last year. And if they do close it, where will all the traffic go?

Maybe they're just storing them on Thappraya to take down to Bali Hai on Sunday or Monday? I don't see any reason to close Thappraya itself. It may be a bit early, but perhaps they've taken a page from the scouts' handbook, lol.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Maybe they're just storing them on Thappraya to take down to Bali Hai on Sunday or Monday? I don't see any reason to close Thappraya itself.

They are dotted around in several different places, but just one in each place, so I dont think that can be it. I also see no obvious reason why they should close Thappraya, unless as mentioned they are just going to close the whole Bali Hai area off.

28 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

They are dotted around in several different places, but just one in each place, so I dont think that can be it. I also see no obvious reason why they should close Thappraya, unless as mentioned they are just going to close the whole Bali Hai area off.

Are they near junctions? Maybe they for blocking access TO Thappraya, ie. Thappraya is open at each end but you can't get on or off it?

The clue is in the hours of restriction between 15:00 and 02:00. The smart money says it's for the as yet unannounced Pattaya-Jomtien New Year F1 Grand Prix, a night race to challenge Singapore's.

Can't imagine what Pattaya Klang and Pattaya  Tai will look like as the only way around is Sukhumvit or all the small roads behind Rompol market if coming from Jomtien, and how can they lock the INS on Thappraya and leave Thappraya open. Locking people up in Pratamnak?

Never mind: They can exit on the flyover or drive straight into Pattaya 2nd road, not sure how that will improve traffic for the rest of the city, let's see. I'm coming from east on the motorbike taxi ????

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Are they near junctions? Maybe they for blocking access TO Thappraya, ie. Thappraya is open at each end but you can't get on or off it?

There is one about 50 yards before the Thepprasit junction, just outside VT5. There is another right at the top of Pratumnak hill, at the traffic lights, but on the other side of the road. So between them those two could be used to block off both sides of Thappraya, from the top right down to Thepprasit.

And there are a couple more on the left-hand side going up the hill. Possibly those could be used on the U-turn areas.

I agree that the hours on the sign make New Year's Eve seem likely, but I cant quite work out exactly what will be blocked.

Archived