Family of Lion Air co-pilot sues Boeing in Chicago over fatal crash

rooster59

Family of Lion Air co-pilot sues Boeing in Chicago over fatal crash

800x800 (1).jpg

FILE PHOTO: An Indonesian National Transportation Safety Commission (KNKT) official carries debris from the crashed Lion Air flight JT610 at Tanjung Priok port in Jakarta, Indonesia, November 4, 2018. REUTERS/Beawiharta/File Photo

CHICAGO (Reuters) - The family of the Indonesian co-pilot of a Lion Air flight that crashed in October, killing all 189 on board, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Boeing Co <BA.N> in Chicago, adding to litigation piling up against the manufacturer in its hometown.

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, alleges that a Lion Air-operated Boeing 737 MAX 8 was unreasonably dangerous because its sensors provided inconsistent information to both the pilots and the aircraft.

Boeing declined to comment on pending litigation.

Lion Air Flight 610 crashed into the Java Sea after take-off from Jakarta on Oct. 29.

The complaint was filed on behalf of pilot Harvino's widow and three children, who are all from Jakarta. It also alleges that the instruction manuals provided by Boeing with the two-month-old plane were insufficient, leading to the death of the pilots, crew and passengers. 

In a statement, law firm Gardiner Koch Weisberg & Wrona said Harvino and Flight 610 Captain Bhayve Suneja were both experienced pilots, having logged more than 5,000 and 6,000 flight hours prior to the disaster.  

At least two other lawsuits have been filed against Boeing in Chicago by the Lion Air victims.

A preliminary report by Indonesian investigators focused on airline maintenance and training and the response of a Boeing anti-stall system to a recently replaced sensor but did not give a cause for the crash.

One of the investigators, Nurcahyo Utomo, told reporters it was too early to determine whether or not a new version of the anti-stall system, which was not explained to pilots in manuals, was a contributing factor.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-29
  • Like 1

I recall reading that the pilots were aware of this problem, having experienced it the day prior.

But they chose to fly anyway! Should my recollection be correct, Boeing will no doubt use this in their defence.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Kk I'm not replying to you. But I can't remove your post for some reason 

Boeing right or wrong are a Goliath with a team of top shelf lawyers on retainer 24/7

They can drag this out for years 

• Like 2

The Plane had known problems and they were not fixed; the pilots didn't bother to brush up on what to do if the problem reoccurs. The pilots were just as much at fault as the repair crew as the plane. 

I still wonder why the cockpit recorder was so hard to find, I think the people in charge didn't want it found.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Hmm. When I buy a new car I make sure that I know what all the knobs and buttons do before I set off on a road trip.

You may have to leave Thailand immediately. This sort of behaviour doesn’t fit in at all......

19 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

The Plane had known problems and they were not fixed; the pilots didn't bother to brush up on what to do if the problem reoccurs. The pilots were just as much at fault as the repair crew as the plane. 

I still wonder why the cockpit recorder was so hard to find, I think the people in charge didn't want it found.

How do you know that the problem was not fixed? Have you ever worked on any aircraft systems?

Several times I have tried for hours to fix an avionics fault and could not find the fault, We eventually found it after flight tests when the was vibration and movement which cannot be replicated on the ground.

You claim that the pilots could not be bothered to brush up on what to do if the fault returns. Obviously you must be in touch with the spirit world to know that, unless of course it is only your unsubstantiated opinion.

If it is just your opinion against the word of aviation experts, I would take the word of people who know what they are talking about over that of a keyboard warrior.

• Thanks 1

As a licensed A&P mechanic, the posts above are valid. The plane was not airworthy. Now, another point is that pilots are pretty good at flying the plane manually IF they can disengage the malfunctioning flight control system. This is the crucial point: did the pilots have sufficient training to know to disengage the system upon a malfunction? And the pilots are saying no they didn't have sufficient training. Tragically, it was two switches located in the center console which would have saved the aircraft. They didn't know to do this and fought the system into the sea.

Excellent interactive simulation of the flight is here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/12/26/world/asia/lion-air-crash-12-minutes.html

• Thanks 1