Craft Beer Healthier Than LEO, Chang, Etc.?

OliverKlozerof

For last several years I've liked to have a larger LEO in the evening. I never drink more than that; it's just to relax over dinner, not to get drunk or sit chewing the fat with folks all night. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, if that's your thing.)

But I wonder if LEO contains ingredients that are not so healthy? Anyone know?

I also like an occasional Dead Guy Ale (from Rogue Co., Oregon USA), which they say is, "In the style of a German Maibock...deep honey in color with a malty aroma and a rich, hearty flavor." It runs B240 or more for a small can or bottle, but I occasionally splurge.

It seems like I feel better the next morning after drinking the craft beer than the LEO. (Yeah, my liver's in pretty poor shape, I guess.)

I know very little about beer, as you can probably tell. Oh, I don't care for IPA (India Pale Ale) type beers, which seem to be 90% of the craft beers. Too hoppy for me. I know there are some Thai craft beers (maybe brewed in Cambodia by Thai companies?). Seems like these are somewhat cheaper than craft beers imported for the US, Europe, etc. Anyone know if there's a non-IPA Thai craft beer that's similar to Dead Guy? Thx.

• Thanks 1

I never get a hangover from craft beers in Thailand, but that is because I can't afford to drink too much of it.

Seems to me that some beers suit some people but not others. For example, I like the taste of Singha but even a couple of bottles gives me a fuzzy head next day, but I can drink a fair amount of Cheers Blue or Archa and feel OK.

If you are only drinking one large Leo each day I don't think you need to worry too much about health implications. It seems to have the same basic ingredients as most Thai beers (including the craft beers) https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/970541-what-is-in-leo-beer/

Leo had been giving me headaches, not to be confused with hangovers. I've switched to Heineken, headaches stopped.  

I'm in San Diego at the moment, last night had a local beer called Star Dust 8.4% alcohol. Hardly saw anyone drinking bottled beer, all craft beers.

Edited by EVENKEEL

Good luck with finding out exactly what goes into Thai-brewed beer. Years ago, the popular myth was that old-formula Singha contained formaldehyde. As far as I know nobody ever got to the bottom of that one, and in any case I doubt there's the level of consistency and quality control even these days that is common in more developed countries. 

18 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I doubt there's the level of consistency and quality control even these days that is common in more developed countries.

Too true, at least as far as Chang is concerned. I've given up buying it now as too many times it's tasted stale, off. That applies to both bottled and sometimes draft in a bar, where each it tasted so different I thought I'd been served the wrong beer.
My favourite Thai beer by far is Tapper, sold only in 7/11 and only in large cans for some reason. A 6.4 costing 53 baht. A similar beer to Red Cheers at 6.0, but to me a smoother taste. I only occasionally have craft beers because of the cost. Is one craft beer worth four Tappers? Not really, most of the time.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Too true, at least as far as Chang is concerned. I've given up buying it now as too many times it's tasted stale, off. That applies to both bottled and sometimes draft in a bar, where each it tasted so different I thought I'd been served the wrong beer.
My favourite Thai beer by far is Tapper, sold only in 7/11 and only in large cans for some reason. A 6.4 costing 53 baht. A similar beer to Red Cheers at 6.0, but to me a smoother taste. I only occasionally have craft beers because of the cost. Is one craft beer worth four Tappers? Not really, most of the time.

True but if like the OP you only drink one beer a day, stuff the expense I say. I've never had a drama with Leo personally or headaches or hungover on it. I think craft beers are shit but that's just me.

• Like 1

Personally i like guiness not cheap but never a hang over...leo brought on gout headaches..n hang overs ..each to their own but again real ale if thats right word has to be better than most thai lagers ..but i could b wrong happy drinking 

The only difference between mass produced beer and craft beers is that more time, care and effort has gone into making a craft beer.

Any serious beer drinker doesn't come to Thailand to savour its beers, especially Leo, but each to his own I suppose.

Tim Spector has occassionally said good things about beer in relation to the microbiome.

He had in one article mentioned Belgian beer to help keep you thin.  Personally I would throw in German beer as well as possibly being good for the gut, but with no real science at the moment it's just conjecture.

When I get to Khon Kaen I'll be asking to see if they still carry their Dunkel brewed right in the hotel.  Looking forward to it.