Brexit sends Britons seeking Irish passports up 22 percent in 2018

webfact

Just now, Sir Dude said:

Anyone in the UK (whether British or otherwise) that doesn't like the idea of the country becoming a sovereign nation that can make its own decisions again knows where the airports are. If you love the EU dictatorship so much then go be with them. Kind of reminds me of hearing something similar about airports thrown around all too often on forums in Thailand when foreigners say stuff. If you become unhappy with somewhere because it has changed, then maybe time to move on some place else. 

It is ignorance such as that displayed above which caused the disastrous, for the UK, result in 2016.

The UK is a sovereign nation, can and does make it's own decisions on most matters and has been whilst an EU member.

With regard to EU matters, which cover far fewer areas than people like you believe, the UK has a voice the same as all other members via the directly elected European Parliament and the Council of Ministers, where the UK, again like all other members, had a veto.

This has been explained time and time again; yet we still regularly see posts from those who refuse to take their xenophobic blinkers off when it comes to the truth about how decisions are made in the EU and prefer to believe people like Farage, who did, and will continue to do, very nicely out of the EU thanks to his MEP salary and future, index linked MEP pension.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Anyone in the UK (whether British or otherwise) that doesn't like the idea of the country becoming a sovereign nation that can make its own decisions again knows where the airports are. If you love the EU dictatorship so much then go be with them. Kind of reminds me of hearing something similar about airports thrown around all too often on forums in Thailand when foreigners say stuff. If you become unhappy with somewhere because it has changed, then maybe time to move on some place else. 

Or alternatively, those who cannot stand any more the grumpy old gits in the Provinces pontificating as such ^^^, can move to London.

2 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It is ignorance such as that displayed above which caused the disastrous, for the UK, result in 2016.

The UK is a sovereign nation, can and does make it's own decisions on most matters and has been whilst an EU member.

With regard to EU matters, which cover far fewer areas than people like you believe, the UK has a voice the same as all other members via the directly elected European Parliament and the Council of Ministers, where the UK, again like all other members, had a veto.

This has been explained time and time again; yet we still regularly see posts from those who refuse to take their xenophobic blinkers off when it comes to the truth about how decisions are made in the EU and prefer to believe people like Farage, who did, and will continue to do, very nicely out of the EU thanks to his MEP salary and future, index linked MEP pension.

And the arrogant lefty remoaners keep on wallowing in denial. You far over-estimate the decision making powers of the members of the EU. Wait till they get their financial EU minister telling everyone what they can and can't spend (already starting to happen) and even more Europe is planned, not less. However, the EU elections next year will be a bloodbath for those currently holding sway and I can't wait to see so many faces-like-slapped-<deleted> everywhere after those results come in. Lefties will be throwing themselves of buildings everywhere. It's coming. The UK is right to get out now before it collapses in a mess.

5 hours ago, samran said:

The irony of all of this is that following Brexit, given the Common Travel Area, Irish will still have free movement to come and live in and work in the UK, and Ireland will be the only place in the EU where Brits will have automatic work and residency rights. 

Cyprus? the 2 bases/enclaves; no residency-work rights follow?

2 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

And the arrogant lefty remoaners keep on wallowing in denial. You far over-estimate the decision making powers of the members of the EU. Wait till they get their financial EU minister telling everyone what they can and can't spend (already starting to happen) and even more Europe is planned, not less. 

On the contrary, it is you who is wallowing in ignorance.

All decisions made in the EU are made by democratically elected representatives. Either in the European Parliament or the Council of Ministers. For that to change and the decision making be transferred to the unelected Commission would require the agreement of those same elected representatives; not the European Parliament, though, but the Council of Ministers. Where it would require a unanimous decision. It would be turkeys voting for Christmas.

However, the EU elections next year will be a bloodbath for those currently holding sway and I can't wait to see so many faces-like-slapped-<deleted> everywhere after those results come in. Lefties will be throwing themselves of buildings everywhere. It's coming. The UK is right to get out now before it collapses in a mess.

Can you not see the contradiction between the above and the first part of your post?

If, as you say, I have 

far over-estimate(d) the decision making powers of the members of the EU.

what possible effect will the results of the forthcoming European Parliament elections have on the running of the EU?

In short, you have posted self-contradictory pony.

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Would be interesting to know how deep some of the barstool Brexiteers have assimilated into their host culture in Thailand (other than giving teerak her monthly payment and drinking local beer). The immigrants in Europe I know are better integrated than some of those walking ATMs I see in Thailand who after 20 years cannot even pronounce สวัสดีครับ correctly. 

40 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

You made a ludicrous comparison.

The typical response of an anti-immigration immigrant who believes he has no need to assimilate into the culture of his host country because his culture is by far superior.

Fortunately, whilst, based on posts in various TV topics, such people seem very common among the expat community in Thailand, they are very rare among immigrants to the UK; be they from the EU or outside.

But as i live in the UK in an area with a large immigrant population, EU and non-EU, what do I know?

Too bad the Brexiteer didn’t know “where the airports are” when they were “unhappy with somewhere because it has changed”. Let’s wait and see how this Brexit comedy ends and will want “to move on some place else” ????  

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

That's been the norm for decades & has bugger all to do with the EU or its forerunner. I am among those eligible to claim ancestral Irish citizenship but as yet can see no reason why I should bother.

My application is in the post,   my dear old  Grandmother of mine ,  never  forgotten.

1 hour ago, Sir Dude said:

Lol...so easy to whip up the lefty remoaners into a reaction.

Ah, I see.

You admit your posts do not contain anything of substance but instead are merely designed to elicit a reaction.

In other words; trolling.

That explains your frequent self contradictions and apparent complete ignorance of the subject. 

6 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Bye!

22 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Address the argument:

" Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Didn’t realise calling someone an immigrant was defined as an insult. 

1 hour ago, markaoffy said:

And their UK passports should be revoked! Why don’t they apply for Romanian or other eastern Eu states? I can guess why

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Cause they’re not eligible?

Home is wherever I spend my pension.
It doesn't have to be spent in Thailand, the world is a big place.
I've lost interest in cheap pussy, if it wasn't for my 7yo son I'd already have gone.
I consider myself more a 'tourist' than an 'expat'.

Sugarcoated as much as you want but you are an immigrant.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Says the guy who has moved to a Thai , ahem, democracy.... 555

1 hour ago, Johnyo said:

Sugarcoated as much as you want but you are an immigrant.

True, but only as long as we (mostly) don't work, and can prove that we have sums - or multiples of the average Thai wage - in pension income to support ourselves.  Plus we have to report every 90 days to Immigration, and prove that we still have sufficient money to support ourselves every year.

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

True, but only as long as we (mostly) don't work, and can prove that we have sums - or multiples of the average Thai wage - in pension income to support ourselves.  Plus we have to report every 90 days to Immigration, and prove that we still have sufficient money to support ourselves every year.

Surely as an expatriate you’d be reporting to the Expatriation department rather than the immigration department? 

You said it, report to immigration like an immigrant does.

3 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

You said it, report to immigration like an immigrant does.

Except immigrants to the uk don't have to do that?

I'm obviously missing something here, and no doubt a poster will come along shortly to not answer the point made - to just state that 'yes, you're missing something'.....☹️

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I suppose expat status depends of the companies (not countries). If one is sent to work in another country as an expat, if often means certain privileges. These are often limited to couple of years stints, which can be extended.

- Naturally quite good salary and all the paperworks done by the company

- Couple of time per year tickets back home for the person and whole family

- Accommodation costs paid by the company

- Kids international schooling paid by the company

- Possible a car and gasoline paid by the company

Expats get some real perks, which locally employed people, local or foreign immigrants doesn't always get.

Members of this forum, who are expats are probably less than 0.001% of the total members. The rest are local, immigrants and folks who live back home countries. 

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Except immigrants to the uk don't have to do that?

I'm obviously missing something here, and no doubt a poster will come along shortly to not answer the point made - to just state that 'yes, you're missing something'.....☹️

You are missing something.

What you are missing is knowledge of the UK's immigration rules and requirements and how they compare to Thailand's.

That and the fact that you could, if you put a bit of effort into it, obtain permanent residence status in Thailand, even Thai citizenship; but it's so much easier not to bother and either do a visa run or 90 day reporting..

I cannot give you a direct UK comparison with those, presumably from what you've said like you, who are living in Thailand on their pension. because there is no equivalent UK visa.  There is a retired person of independent means visa, current fee £1949 plus the IHS surcharge of £2000. But the applicant for one must have a close connection to the UK such as family living here and their own income of at least £25,000 p.a. After 5 years they can apply, and pay, for indefinite leave to remain, provided they meet all the requirements. If they don't, they cannot extend this visa and so have to leave the UK. They cannot then apply to re-enter the UK in this category. It's 5 years residence and then ILR or 5 years residence and leave and only come back as a visitor; if at all.

Of course, the most common reason for Thais immigrating to the UK is as the partner of a UK citizen; which is far from inexpensive.

Initial visa: £1523 (payable in USD at a rate favourable to UKVI, so add 5 to 8% onto that!) plus immigration health surcharge of (w.e.f. 8/1/19) £1200.

In addition the sponsor has to show they have in the UK, or will have within three months of their return, an income of at least £18,600p.a. or cash savings of at least £62,500.

Plus the cost of taking the required English test (at least A1 of the CEFR. How many expats in Thailand can speak Thai even to this basic level, I wonder.)

After 30 months, further leave to remain: £1033 plus the IHS of, this time, £1000.

The financial requirement has to met again, plus a higher level of English ability; A2. If one or the other are not then the application will be refused and the applicant told to leave the UK.

30 months later, application for indefinite leave to remain; cost £2389, though no IHS at this stage.

Again, financial requirement needs to be met, plus a higher level of English, B1, and the life in the UK test.

Again, if the financial requirement cannot be met, they will have to leave the UK. Though if the do meet the financial requirement but not the language one then they can apply for another FLR instead.

A total of £7145. This will increase in each and every April when the fees go up. Plus, of course, if there are non British dependents than they have to pay the same fees, and the financial requirement goes up as well.

I know that, provided all the requirements are met, these payments stop after ILR, unless they go to the final step of naturalisation as British (application fee £1330).

It would be an interesting comparison to see how many extensions you could obtain, and therefore long you could live in Thailand for, paying a total in immigration fees of £7145.

I should add, of course, that the border run option is not available in the UK; not legally anyway! Visitors to the UK cannot spend more than 6 months out of 12 in the UK unless they have an exceptional reason for so doing; severe family illness for example.

BTW, I know this is widely off topic; but you did ask.

Archived