Home Bread Making

sharktooth

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always buy YoKs own salted butter 65bht/500gm.

I believe you mean the UDF margarine. I am sorry, but that is not butter. It is a blend of various fats with 12% butter oil.

Butter oil might give it an sense of real butter, but wait till you fry meat in it or just an ordinary egg. No real butter smell. Butter is produced from 100% dairy cream, contains about 80% fat and 20% water. It's dairy, not palm fat.

And for that price real butter? No way. Yok also has 'Century House' butter. Not as good as Elle&Vire but much more affordable price of 250 Baht per kilo.

1 minute ago, hugocnx said:

I believe you mean the UDF margarine. I am sorry, but that is not butter. It is a blend of various fats with 12% butter oil.

Butter oil might give it an sense of real butter, but wait till you fry meat in it or just an ordinary egg. No real butter smell. Butter is produced from 100% dairy cream, contains about 80% fat and 20% water. It's dairy, not palm fat.

And for that price real butter? No way. Yok also has 'Century House' butter. Not as good as Elle&Vire but much more affordable price of 250 Baht per kilo.

Your're wrong,

They have an entire fridge with butter from local dairies, no labels, cut and packed into blocks by YoK.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Your're wrong,

They have an entire fridge with butter from local dairies, no labels, cut and packed into blocks by YoK.

Please show a picture, would be nice to know/see which butter you mean. Cheers.

PS: those repacked blocks are from UDF and butter for a price of 130 Baht per kilo is not possible in LOS. But.....I might be wrong.

Edited by hugocnx

3 hours ago, hugocnx said:

those repacked blocks are from UDF

It's good enough for me.

(UDF United Dairy Farms?)

PS. I'm on a diet, I don't fry anything, butter is just to stick the sandwich bread together.

PPS. When I go mad the UDF butter makes really good toffee.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hugocnx said:

those repacked blocks are from UDF and butter for a price of 130 Baht per kilo is not possible in LOS.

I'm not sure it's possible anywhere, at least not easily. Even as a commodity traded by the tonne, cooking butter costs more than that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's good enough for me.

(UDF United Dairy Farms?)

PS. I'm on a diet, I don't fry anything, butter is just to stick the sandwich bread together.

PPS. When I go mad the UDF butter makes really good toffee.

I understand it is good enough for you, but not for me. Don't call it butter if it ain't butter.

Call me pedantic, but refer to butter in Wikepedia and you'll know why.

So that's margarine blend you smear on your sandwich.:-)

3 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I understand it is good enough for you, but not for me. Don't call it butter if it ain't butter.

Call me pedantic, but refer to butter in Wikepedia and you'll know why.

So that's margarine blend you smear on your sandwich.:-)

YoK call it butter, I just repeat what they call it, and it's more like butter than any margarine spread I've ever seen in the UK.

Now we need a replacement name for the product they call bread in the Thai 7-11s (according to you).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I'm not sure it's possible anywhere, at least not easily. Even as a commodity traded by the tonne, cooking butter costs more than that.

Stock market price somewhere around 500 euro per 100 kilo. 185 Baht/kg not yet market ready

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

YoK call it butter, I just repeat what they call it, and it's more like butter than any margarine spread I've ever seen in the UK.

Now we need a replacement name for the product they call bread in the Thai 7-11s (according to you).

Butter is a protected product name, at least in Europe, and refers to a dairy product that contains at least 80% milk fat.

A car is a car, doesn't even have to have 4 wheels and bread is bread, comes in many varieties. Cannot compare. 

Yes Farmhouse bread is bread, but not a 'perfect' kind. They sell a lot of that crap. Thai seem to like it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Butter is a protected product name, at least in Europe, and refers to a dairy product that contains at least 80% milk fat.

A car is a car, doesn't even have to have 4 wheels and bread is bread, comes in many varieties. Cannot compare. 

Yes Farmhouse bread is bread, but not a 'perfect' kind. They sell a lot of that crap. Thai seem to like it.

So is WINE a protected product name, and beer, and pork, and beef ?

A protected name is like CHAMPAGNE, COGNAC, CORNISH pasty, CHEDDAR cheese, SCOTCH whisky. etc etc.

Butter does indeed have a specific legal definition in many countries. Even here judging by the labels one sees in the supermarket. Combinations of butter and other things have to be called blends or spreads by law.

It's like the bottles of syrup that they call honey here. I dont know what it is but it isnt honey.

I find it difficult to use real butter here in Thailand.  It's too hard to use straight from the fridge, and too soft (often melting completely) if left out, and I find it quickly goes rancid even when kept in the fridge.  The "buttery" spreads are a bit more useable, but I've not found one that I really like the taste of.

So I've started using mayonnaise (usually Low-fat if I'm honest, in an effort to diet 5555),  and it works well with the savoury toppings that I prefer on my bread (cheese, marmite, chutneys, etc), or even just on its own.  I'm not so sure it would work as well with sweet topping like Jam, Honey, etc. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

So is WINE a protected product name, and beer, and pork, and beef ?

A protected name is like CHAMPAGNE, COGNAC, CORNISH pasty, CHEDDAR cheese, SCOTCH whisky. etc etc.

"Wine is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems."

Champagne is a protected kind of wine. Wine itself as a liquid is not protected.

I think beef should be protected, lol

Enough of this, call margarine butter, whatever!

Edited by hugocnx
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

"Wine is a free and open-source compatibility layer that aims to allow computer programs developed for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems."

Nice one. Does MINT qualify? And CINNAMON?

Edited by wgdanson

2 hours ago, vogie said:

I use big slabs of Allowrie Butter, is that ok for bread and patries etc.

It works for me. I buy the 5 kg blocks of salted "butter" at Macro for about 750 baht and cut it into about 20 lumps and freeze it. It still tastes OK when defrosted, put in the fridge  and used normally. They also sell unsalted "butter" for the same price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

It works for me. I buy the 5 kg blocks of salted "butter" at Macro for about 750 baht and cut it into about 20 lumps and freeze it. It still tastes OK when defrosted, put in the fridge  and used normally. They also sell unsalted "butter" for the same price.

Yes I buy from the local bakery shop, forgot the price, next time I go down I'll check. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

LOL, like your "butter" escape.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 10:08 AM, sharktooth said:

This mornings effort. Partially following Britmans recipe but added Vital Wheat Gluten and a few seeds. Getting there.

0B0EB206-5A7B-4EED-9C99-B3575831B6F7.jpeg

Did you buy the vital wheat gluten local ? I got some too but had to buy it on ebay. 

37 minutes ago, robblok said:

Did you buy the vital wheat gluten local ? I got some too but had to buy it on ebay. 

Surprisingly Central Food Hall had it. I first checked with Yok, but they were out of stock, however they had it today when I was in.

12 hours ago, sharktooth said:

Surprisingly Central Food Hall had it. I first checked with Yok, but they were out of stock, however they had it today when I was in.

Thanks, i will look in the big central near me hopefully the tops has it. I dont mind importing stuff but i like to keep things local when i can.

Tthe wheat gluten work like a charm i can make a 100% wholewheat bread (i mean only whole wheat flour). I add milk and instead of butter olive oil. I got a bread maker and it works great.

So there are people who use milk, my gf likes the bread better when i add milk. I have even added protein powder at one time when I wanted high protein bread for my diet. It can all be done. Oh the protein whey was without flavor of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Thanks, i will look in the big central near me hopefully the tops has it. I dont mind importing stuff but i like to keep things local when i can.

Tthe wheat gluten work like a charm i can make a 100% wholewheat bread (i mean only whole wheat flour). I add milk and instead of butter olive oil. I got a bread maker and it works great.

So there are people who use milk, my gf likes the bread better when i add milk. I have even added protein powder at one time when I wanted high protein bread for my diet. It can all be done. Oh the protein whey was without flavor of course.

I haven’t tried a 100% whole wheat yet as I was wary, but that’s good to hear. I like a lot of seeds in my bread as well so I might go 40/60 with white and whole wheat plus loads of seeds. I don’t think even with the gluten I would be successful with 100% whole-wheat and lots of seeds.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, RyeRye said:

Hi Bread Bakers,

may I ask where everyone is buying their flour. I am based in Bangkok and I used to buy it online on all4farang.com, however the website is down already for a while and I need to restock.

THX.

If you want a large choice of different flours and don't care how much they cost, then this is the place for you out on Sukhumvit near soi 71 and Rama 4.

https://www.schmidt.co.th/th/

They seem like a great place but as I live 350 km away in rural Thailand the postage costs would be too high. As you live in BKK you are (relatively) close.

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you want a large choice of different flours and don't care how much they cost, then this is the place for you out on Sukhumvit near soi 71 and Rama 4.

https://www.schmidt.co.th/th/

They seem like a great place but as I live 350 km away in rural Thailand the postage costs would be too high. As you live in BKK you are (relatively) close.

Is the postage cost not the same all over Thailand ?